Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

when does a 90 fall over?

Matt Vee

What kind of angle can one traverse in a 90 before the sphincter starts to get twitchy?
Vid's would be cool if you have any!

I've had diesel spill out from the filler cap of my swb at crawling pace one day while me and Clive decided a very obvious dead end quarry deserved closer inspection just for the hell of it :greetings-clapping:

In my trialling days in a Suzuki SJ, small and light but famous for falling over, I found a 40* side slope was no problem at all if I was sitting on the uphill side. The other way round it could only cope with 30* before I would end up lying down in the muck. Haven't tried it in my 70 cos there's no roll cage in that and I couldn't bear the cost of mending it after I found out the limit.

London Transport used to test out their buses on a sideways tilting platform. Amazing how far they can go before falling. I wonder if their old machine could be hired out for your 90?

Cool :) do SJ's really fall over that often? I just recently watched a vid claiming that was BS started by some dude who was influential in the car media whose son had rolled his.
Anyway, reason I am asking is I rekon I was pretty close the other day. I didn't have any inclinometer or angle finder so I have no idea what the angle was but it didn't seem very extreme. I seem to remember Toyota claiming 40 degrees was it's limit. Does that sound about right to you guys?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well there you have the answer. From the video it looks like 40* is about right. Just make sure you are on the uphill side!

Cool :) do SJ's really fall over that often?
Yeah, they were notorious for it. Among the trials crowd it was well known that you could favour Landrovers by putting a "Suzuki stopper" of a side slope in a section. Then the Suzuki drivers wised up to it and started fitting Lada wheels, which have a big positive offset, back to front to make themselves wider. And it worked, but then they had to fit power steering, otherwise the thing was undriveable - and so the mods went on...

Depends how good you are i suppose ....

Those guys are completely bonkers :astonished: - especially the ones in the back with their legs dangling out along the ground. Must be the heat - I reckon it fries your brain

It's good to see they are taking health and safety seriously by using face coverings.

I can't remember the offset on my 16x10 wheels but i'd guess its over an inch and the 305 70 tyres are of course wider still .

Yeah negative and probably more than an inch depending on what wheels were available at the time i'd guess -32 or more

Back