Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

where best to mount the onboard air

GeekOKent

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Looking at where best to put the tmax adventurer ( its the little one that does 70ltr/min ), so it can be plumbed in properly. Since it needs 30A, I guess somewhere in the engine bay, close to the secondary battery so it can be properly wired in is the way to go - but I dont know if this is actually 'weather' proof enough to survive in there. I dont exactly go deep water fording often, but there is the off chance that water will hit the radiator fan and just get into and onto everything in there.

Where do you guys mount the onboard air ?

the main reason to mount it away is to get it out of the back cargo area ( am trying to see how best to reduce weight there ).

regards,

I've thought about this a while back. I came to the conclusion that the area inside the boot space side panels was big enough on the 80. Some felt type carpet insulation fashioned around it would help deaden the sound (like the air suspension cars do) and a suitable cable could easily be routed there. Air lines could be run from there out under the truck via cable glands to whatever points you wanted.

I've got the t max twin cylinder mounted between the rear seats and the drawers.
Do you have space under the front seats?

I've got the t max twin cylinder mounted between the rear seats and the drawers.
Do you have space under the front seats?

there is, but not enough - i'm about 15mm short on height.

looks like the tmax ( or most compressors for that matter) are not rated to be mounted externally, where there might be risk of water. And since this one wont fit under the seat, I'm going to swap it out for a el-cheapo hongkong made one that does in fact fit (well, its smaller than this, and seems to have similar airflow etc ). Lets see how that works out. https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Car-Tools-Equipment/451717-Double-Piston-Compressor-Inflator/B00X8JHEWM is the one I am looking at.

Even assuming that the dimensions given are it packed in a bag with the hose that looks like it's still quite big?

I have a T Max single cylinder 'heavy duty' compressor. It fits under the drivers seat in our 100 on its side with the foot plate removed and not mounted so it is still portable. imo for occasional use hard mount is more work than the few times you will have to plug it in before you can use it.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
For 10 years, I've had my single ARB pump mounted on the inner wing right at the back of the engine bay near the bulkhead.

It gets a fair bit of use, mostly for bikes and other folks car tyres as well as my own.

I don't wade, but of course it gets the usual engine bay weather / road spray exposure and it's never missed a beat.

Last edited:
Assuming you will have a roof rack why not just store it up there in a dry box .

Assuming you will have a roof rack why not just store it up there in a dry box .

I actually dont have a roof rack. Trying to keep load on roof down as much as possible. Only thing I have up there is a box for the oztent and its poles, and the awning.

New compressor should be here today, lets see if it fits under the passenger seat. I dot intend to mount it permanently, since it would get used for the 120 and other bits as well. Just need a good house to park it into. At the moment, its in the boot, but am trying to get weight out from there too.

Regards
Regards.

I actually dont have a roof rack. Trying to keep load on roof down as much as possible. Only thing I have up there is a box for the oztent and its poles, and the awning.

New compressor should be here today, lets see if it fits under the passenger seat. I dot intend to mount it permanently, since it would get used for the 120 and other bits as well. Just need a good house to park it into. At the moment, its in the boot, but am trying to get weight out from there too.

Regards
Regards.
I'm about to fit one. I have a medium size one 35A I can squeeze into engine Bay (on 200 5.7) rhs and got a bigger one (45A) which is too big to go there- I had the cunning plan of mounting in the recess in the spare wheel where it's low but with a spare cover and only occasional wading (with it switched off) - there's a ford near me that floods often, I reckon it will be ok or is that asking for trouble...

I'm about to fit one. I have a medium size one 35A I can squeeze into engine Bay (on 200 5.7) rhs and got a bigger one (45A) which is too big to go there- I had the cunning plan of mounting in the recess in the spare wheel where it's low but with a spare cover and only occasional wading (with it switched off) - there's a ford near me that floods often, I reckon it will be ok or is that asking for trouble...
I would say if there's any chance of finding somewhere internal for it, the chances of it lasting will be dramatically improved. Just being somewhere there may be salt laden spray will affect the metals, especially any aluminium which will be wrecked very quickly. Salt just eats away at aluminium like it's going out of fashion.

I would say if there's any chance of finding somewhere internal for it, the chances of it lasting will be dramatically improved. Just being somewhere there may be salt laden spray will affect the metals, especially any aluminium which will be wrecked very quickly. Salt just eats away at aluminium like it's going out of fashion.
I can't argue with that. My next cunning plan is to use some 12bar 4-6" pvc pipe tucked under each side as a reservoir. Will be dramatic if I hit a rock with pressure in them but will store about 50l so smaller compressor can pump them up if I'm using an air ratchet.

I can't argue with that. My next cunning plan is to use some 12bar 4-6" pvc pipe tucked under each side as a reservoir. Will be dramatic if I hit a rock with pressure in them but will store about 50l so smaller compressor can pump them up if I'm using an air ratchet.
:scared-eek: :violence-bomb:

I was thinking of using empty CO2 fire extinguishers. Much better at holding pressure and less likely to turn into a bomb! Seriously I would think twice on that one.

So the new amazon thing got delivered yesterday. Brought it out today. Good news is that it fits under the passenger seat. And the various bits&bobs for tyre repair go in well with it. The bag it comes in aims to stack all the stuff up, and I dont have that much space. So the things are fine side by side. I.e, cant use the bag (it is unlikely to last ast the 2nd use anyway ). Will need to sort something else out.

The bad news however is that even when rated at the same'ish spec, it took 126 sec to go from 14psi to 32ps. The tmax was about 40 sec. Not a terrible thing, I cant imagine using this on a daily bassis.

The biggest hassle though - the gauge inline is graded to 160psi. Wtf. A 3" gauge. There is no way to tell exactly or even +/-5psi.

Thinking I might just hang onto the tmax.

:scared-eek: :violence-bomb:

I was thinking of using empty CO2 fire extinguishers. Much better at holding pressure and less likely to turn into a bomb! Seriously I would think twice on that one.

That's exactly what I have in mind Rich, maybe two 15 - 20 lt tanks plumbed together. It would give a boost to the time to inflate a tyre from flat.

Purpose made air receivers are £200 or thereabouts and fire extinguishers are very cheap, £10 - £15 equivalent here, and their pressure rating is plenty. I have all the space where the spare wheel used to be between the chassis rails.

I'd love to have front and rear permanent air points without lifting the hood.

Back