Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Where is the diesel pre-filter?

SteveS

Can anyone help? I have a 2004 UK spec 100 - is there a pre-filter in the diesel line? And if so where is it mounted? I guess it could have been a Rest of World option?

Aargh! Does the 100 have a big diesel filter under the hood, like the 80 does?
Excuse my previous post, tapatalk and my banana fingers!

Yes. The 100 set-up is like the 80 set-up.
There is a big fuel filter as standard (and no pre filter, except the one in the tank). But, this is not as big as it is on the 80 & 100 series in Africa/ME config. Both of them came with an even bigger main filter and a pre-filter (paper cartridge) mounted on the firewall, when delivered to dusty/sandy environs.
The extra big, long main filter fits into a standard edition as well, just move the filter holder up 1/2" (use a nut or something under the bolts).
The bigger filter has about twice the filtering surface, and can hold more water at the bottom.

I did post part numbers for these various filters in here (I think) some time ago.

Last edited:
Does the 100 have a big diesel

Yes Clive it does have a big diesel and it goes chug chug :lol:

I don't have a reference point as to its size vs an 80 but the filter is approx. a finger long - plus the top housing and the water drain.

Is it a straightforward job to replace the tank filter or is it a tank out/cut a hole in the floor type of job? Checked through the service manuals and this area seems to be missing off the download site.

uHu - thanks for the info on the bigger filters - I'll take a look at that - might be worth doing where we're going and the dodgy fuel we're bound to come across.

I had in mind to use a "Mr Funnel" AF8CB or 15CB pre-filter at the point of entry to keep the crap out of the tank in the first place - never used one before. Main issue would be where to keep the evil thing outside the truck between uses.

http://www.mrfunnel.com/Mr._Funnel/Models.html

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Does any one have experience with the Mr Funnel filter? I've got a standard fuel filter for a UK spec 80 and have only just been looking into upper the filtering after hearing a couple of horror stories. It hadn't occurred to me to look into pre-filtering at the pump with regards to my trip.

Yes, I have got one & it does seem to work well, but the flow through it is quite slow and it would never be able to handle the fuel flow from the pump.
having said that though, mine isn't the largest one, filling with jerries can also be quite slow through the Mr funnel.
I pre filter by filling my 170l long range tank which is pumped through a filter into the original tank.

the muck that I have found in the prefilter using this method can be quite considerable!

Andy

We take clean fuel for granted in Europe. You have to imagine you are living on a building site in some countries. I remember working in such conditions, farms, M'way construction sites etc. I still have the giant filter funnels I used. I would not dream of putting fuel in without a filter funnel. Even a simple layer of fine brass mesh will keep out rubbish and water. Easy to clean as well.

Is it a straightforward job to replace the tank filter or is it a tank out/cut a hole in the floor type of job? Checked through the service manuals and this area seems to be missing off the download site.

It would be best to lower the tank (when empty :icon-wink:). Undo the filler pipe connecting hoses & sender unit connections as its lowered and then wriggle it out.

The sender unit has the filter on the end - it goes in the hole on the top of the tank - seen here.

DSCN3210_zps469b54cb.jpg

When fitted . . .

DSCN3215_zps57d23e99.jpg

The bits . . . The small(ish) Sock Filter is at the end of the pick-up pipe, next to the fuel gauge float.

DSCN3214_zpse3c4880e.jpg

Its a big old thing to work with (this was my old one that I was replacing).

DSCN3110_zpsa68410dc.jpg

Although the tank had rusted through, with 120,000 miles on the clock there was very little in the filter.

Bob.

There is supposed to be an opening under the carpet under the backseat, where you can take out the sender unit and get to the filter. A bit easier, maybe?

I thought that too, but I couldn't find it. And, from memory I didn't see a panel when I had the tank out.

I might be wrong though.

People also say that there is a similar panel in the 90-Series but on my '95' there is only a small panel that gives access to the electrical connections - not the Sender Unit.

Its confusing :icon-confused:.

Bob.

On the 80 there is a panel under the rear seats, lift the carpet to expose the panel which has 4 maybe 6 screws to undo, filter is fixed to panel.

taking the tank out to change a pre-filter does sound like a poor bit of design, especially as this one will get all the crap. Having heard good reports on the Mr Filter I think I'll get one of the big 15CB ones which has the maximum flow for garage fills.

I'll take a look over the winter when I do my between-trip updates as I'll have to rip out the drawers/and or the rear sleeping deck to get to any floor plate that may be there. From my point of view I think to keep the crud out of the tank(s) has to be the best option (my Long Ranger is solenoid selected and doesn't allow diesel to flow through from one tank to the other - both in parallel, one switched into circuit. Also the filler neck has a Siamesed opening so dodgy diesel is bound to go into both tanks.

A definitive answer on a late 100 series floor plate/opening would be good to know.....and where to find it

Hi,
just 2 points to add to the above post, I always use a disposable cone paint strainer to sit in a standard funnel as a quick and practical way to filter ingoing fuel, you can ditch the filter after one use if needed, at a push they will act as a disposable funnel in themselves.
Secondly if you draw fuel from an unknown source always take a small sample in a glass jar or similar first, if its really bad you will see it immediately.

A definitive answer on a late 100 series floor plate/opening would be good to know.....and where to find it

When my daughter returns my '100' ( :icon-rolleyes: ), I'll crawl under it with a torch and have a look for a panel.

Bob.

I have found the plate under the second row of seats, it helps to remove the seats so you can fold the carpet back out of the way. Just be careful not to snap off the 8 x M5 bolts they can be rusted and are loctited at the factory..

@BobMurphy

Looking to change the pre-filter on my 2005 HD-FTE. Can you advise whether it is in the large hole or smaller opening in the tank as per the picture and is accessible under the rear seats or requires a tank removal?

dscn3215_zps57d23e99-jpg.89977.jpg

Is the filter like this one from Rough Trax?

fuef04_1-min.jpg

Back