Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Where is the 'Edit button' ??

Graham

Garage
Country Flag
uk
I see on the bottom of my posts page, that I can 'edit' my posts.
ie, put new pictures, and correct the spelling mistakes.

But even though the permission to edit is available, where is the edit button ??

Its not at the bottom right of the post, whetre the quote is, 'cos I looked .

Or is it a 'time restricted edit facility ?

Graham

x2.
Can we have "Edit" please :p

ehh I have an edit button when you go to the bottom of your post.... next to quote...

edit.jpg

Now I have one too. But sure wasn't there before.

I pretty sure it gets removed after 15 min, im sure someone will confirm this soon

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Rob said:
I pretty sure it gets removed after 15 min, im sure someone will confirm this soon

oh yeh that could be the case....
Just looked at another post from a few days ago and it is not there.... :lol:

pffewwww glad we got that sorted....
Maybe we can ask Crispin nicely to put that button on show permanent...

like pretty please with a cherry on top.... :mrgreen:

although not having it makes things easier in a way.... lol at least you can't sneakily change certain statements... :lol:

I think you can only edit a post if there hasn't been any other post on that topic since you first sent it.
Chas

I think it is time restricted, I think Crispin will confirm this.

In a way its good, because some times a person will delete all their posts if they get a 'strop on'
This then makes the whole thread read quite stupid.

But we wouldn't do that.

so may be like earlier post, the ''edit'' button could be made permanent, ?

pretty please, trust us ?

Graham

But if the edit button was permanent a person could make a change to a post which could then make nonsense of any reply! :roll:

Cossack said:
But if the edit button was permanent a person could make a change to a post which could then make nonsense of any reply! :roll:
+1

Leave it as it is, 15 minutes (or what ever the time limit is) is fine, after that what you posted should be permanent.

Yup, you have 15 minutes to edit the post. After that, the button vanishes.

but I put the wrong pictures on my 'Mount Tai' post, so I wanted to make it right.
There is 2 lots of the same picture, and I wanted to put the right pictures there.
Can I have the edit for 15 minutes again ?

Pretty please

Graham

I suggest having the Edit-button available permanently. It makes posting so much easier.

One example of when it is to great help is Grahams post, where you want to want to change obvious mistakes. Another is when you make a step-by-step or a How-to something. Then you will get comments and Qs, and want to clarify your long winding instructions, or add pix. This is best done in the original post, so that one doesn't have to read 50 posts to get the full picture, but only the first.
When editing a post, there will be an automatically generated comment at the bottom of the post saying "Last edited by (user) at (date & time)". And then it is the up to the poster to post in comments like "Edit: Added points 6a & 6b" or "Edit: Further to the above, blahblahbla".

Other forums do have the poss to Edit at any time later, and it seems to work wonderfully. Two examples are mud (big forum) and our local Norwegian LC club forum (small forum). The latter is even using the same software, by the look of it.

Links:
Mud thread edited one year after initial post:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-crui ... t-diy.html
NLCK thread where a user has taken on the task of maintaining links-pages for all kinds of LC related stuff:
http://nlck.no/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=7974

uHu said:
I suggest having the Edit-button available permanently. It makes posting so much easier.

One example of when it is to great help is Grahams post, where you want to want to change obvious mistakes. Another is when you make a step-by-step or a How-to something. Then you will get comments and Qs, and want to clarify your long winding instructions, or add pix. This is best done in the original post, so that one doesn't have to read 50 posts to get the full picture, but only the first.
When editing a post, there will be an automatically generated comment at the bottom of the post saying "Last edited by (user) at (date & time)". And then it is the up to the poster to post in comments like "Edit: Added points 6a & 6b" or "Edit: Further to the above, blahblahbla".

Other forums do have the poss to Edit at any time later, and it seems to work wonderfully. Two examples are mud (big forum) and our local Norwegian LC club forum (small forum). The latter is even using the same software, by the look of it.

Links:
Mud thread edited one year after initial post:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-crui ... t-diy.html
NLCK thread where a user has taken on the task of maintaining links-pages for all kinds of LC related stuff:
http://nlck.no/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=7974
Ok being able to edit after your 15min is up is a good idea but i disagree that having the edit button available for ever by default. If you would like to modify an existing post may i suggest that you ask an admin to temporarily enable the edit button, say for 24hrs, which should give you plenty of time to log on and change the post. In the past i have asked an admin to correct a post by changing a 4 to a 2, but if it is more complicated than this the above solution would work best IMO.

It is a little bit like being treated as a child, not being able to change your own post to correct a mistake or add content for the greater good.

I post on loads of forums and this is the only one which imposes this rule on it's members.

All it does is make me reluctant to post content, if I'm not allowed to keep it up to date without asking permission.

I don't see a problem with enabling it for longer in this section as it's purely chin-wag stuff. I'll change it in a minute.

However, in the other sections, the argument that was put forward for disabling it after a certain time is to "preserve" the post. If someone had a nice write-up or some good bit of info and suddenly wanted to be malicious and blank all their posts or sneakily change some details, that would be pretty unfair. :|

If there is a real problem with a post, then either post a correction to it or, just PM one of the mods with the details and they can make the correction (and leave behind a reason why! ;)) A few people have done it in the past already.

Graham, is this the duplicate image? http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af2 ... rarest.jpg
I've lengthened the edit time but it might still be too late?

Sorry - It appears you cannot do it for a specific forum, the edit time seems to be at a board level so everything has the same edit time.
I'll have another dig a bit later but for now, it's going to stay the 15 minutes.

Graham, if you send me the duplicate image name and which one you want to replace it with, I can do it for you?

Sounds a bit paranoid to me for a members club :? I cannot remember seeing a forum damaged due to someone changing their posts.

I guess you will need to host all the photos as well then? I could see some funny changes if not to a posters nice write up :mrgreen:

24Seven said:
I post on loads of forums and this is the only one which imposes this rule on it's members.

Most of the LR and 4x4 forums I use have a time limit on them to stop changeing the post. But I do think it should be longer than 15 mins.

I am very bad at spelling and even when I reread a post I miss things. But when I come back an hour or two later I spot it and can not correct it.

IMHO I think there should be a time limit, but 15mins is just not long enought.

Paul

Back