Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Where's the alarm ECU on late model 80?

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Well as above really. Got a problem with the alarm. Pulled the sounder out of the NS wing and replaced the batteries in it. Before, when I triggered the alarm I just got a tick tick tick noise. Inside the sounder the batteries had corroded away. Now, when I set the doors the alarm immediately triggers and it's truly screaming. I could not reset it with the key so unplugged it at the sounder which then kept going for the next 10 minutes under a pile of blankets in the garage. So my guess is that there is something wrong with the ECU bit. Perhaps a fuse leading to the sounder thinking the power has been cut?

These things are notoriously tricky and for £250 I can just have a whole new alarm fitted. But I'd liek to have a go at this first. Now, the TVSS system on older 80s used to be under the seat. Later they put it above the glove box. Without removing even more panels I can't find the brain box for this one.

Without the sounder, the key fob still locks the doors perfectly and the engines still starts.

Any ideas folks?

I'd be interested to know too tbh. Mine stopped working and wont even operate the locking now.
behind the glove box area seems like it'd be a good place to hide it.

Is it this type of remote...
20161030_130206.jpg

I had a wiring issue near the sounder causing it to go off randomly.

Got a clifford alarm and immobiliser system in the garage that's going in its place at some point.

That's the one Gary but the cabling seems to come across the bulkhead to the cruise control area and not under the wiper motor

There's various boxes under drivers side on mine, airbag on passenger side could mean not enough space above glove box.
I'll have a peak later on with a torch.
Behind lower a pillar trim on drivers side has something iirc too.

Underneath the centre console storage bin/armrest, if it's the TVSS3b which was fitted to the last 80's and has the same fobs as in post 2.
I replaced my sounder with one from an Avensis of the same era and fitted a new battery pack and had no issues since. The only niggle I have with it is the range of the fobs isn't great, you have to be stood virtually next to the car for it to operate.

Really? Well that would be handy. I'll have a peek there myself. Yes the range is pathetic but to be fair I only need it to unlock just as my hand reached the door. I do need another fob though. I've had them on ebay before for a tenner, but there's only one showing now at £25. If I can fix this fault, I will and then get a fob. But if it's screwed than I'll put the money toward a new system

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just remembered that I got no fobs when I bought mine, only keys. I found the sounder unplugged, due to a knackered ECU as it turned out. Just checked through my old bills and I got a new ECU and 2 fobs for £160 from Pentagon Toyota but this was over 11 years ago now.

Problem with getting a fob of course is that you have to pair it. And if you can't find the ECU with the reset button on it you can't do the sequence.

FB_IMG_1477837909623.jpg

Under console pic from when found the cartridge

Been and had a look. Spot on. Under the armrest. I have those two boxes and the big shiny metal one tie wrapped to the heater vents. One of the black boxes is, I think, the breaking glass detector thing. Maybe the other is the wireless fob unit? Perhaps that can be tweaked with the dial. There's a dial on both boxes.

Definitely a fault with it. If I set with e fob, the doors lock and sometimes the car behaves for a minute, sometime 5 seconds, sometime 5 minutes, but before long all the lights are flashing. And the ONLY way to silence it is with the fob. Putting the key in the ignition does nothing - but it should. Perhaps worth trying the old battery disconnect trick.

Chris,
The key will have no effect on the alarm. The key has the transponder for the OEM immobiliser but the alarm is a completely separate system. If I lock and set the alarm and then enter with the key, turning on the ign does nothing. De activation with the fob is required. AFAIK these alarms were not factory options but retro fitted by Toyota UK on import.

Yes there were retro fitted for sure. Odd though because one of my other Cruisers (cant' recall which one) had a TVSS earlier model and that definitely did cancel with the key. But if your 80 version like mine doesn't, then that's good enough for me. I'd like to keep it becaue the alarm is deafening.

But what's setting it off? I can't have that. There is the door open voltage drop trigger, glass breakage trigger and I'd guess intrusion into cabin through a window trigger. But where are the sensors? It might be a spider setting them off. Does yours go off if you set it with a window open and you stick your arm in TP?

Yeah I can start and drive with the alarm going off!
My owners manual has a supplement stuck in for the alarm.

If press lock twice it turns off interior sensor, rules out if that's causing the alarm to sound

I've got a sensor tucked up under the side cup holder which was determined to be the glass break sensor

20130831_211436.jpg

Last edited:
Aaaaahhhh that's what that bloody wire is. Nice one Gary. Couldn't work it out. Why have an earth to a plastic box. Wondered if it was an aerial. But now I see. Damn what a great forum.

I can stick my arms through an open window with the alarm set and nothing happens but then I did turn the sensitivity right down some time ago as I was getting false alarms when the car was parked up on very hot days. If a clap my hands inside the alarm activates but this will be the glass breakage sensor.
http://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimuploads/{2B83E543-F763-47F3-857B-9B7BDC4A6145}/TVSS (RHD) T3RJ8-F.pdf

Setting guide....
http://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimuploads/{4CD304D2-A41B-91D3-284C-8CC4FE5FA41B}/Celica_TVSSIIIB.pdf

Last edited:
Aaaaahhhh that's what that bloody wire is. Nice one Gary. Couldn't work it out. Why have an earth to a plastic box. Wondered if it was an aerial. But now I see. Damn what a great forum.

I asked on here a while ago, wondered what it was when had the console out.

Soon as @Towpack said under console i had search for the pic I had.
Well I know where the new one will probably be getting fitted lol.

Man they're packed with info. I shall be glued to that tomorrow. Thanks TP. Awesome stuff.

Hey TP, have you read point 7 in the installation section regarding dip switches? You can select disarming via the key. On off on.

This must have been a marathon . Can you imagine the contract to fit 1000's of these to every 80? What could you reasonably do. 2 to 3 a day?

Hmmm, not noticed the key disable setting before. I must assume that mine is set to off. Could be a very useful feature that.
I reckon 3 maybe 4 a day would be pushing it. Removing all the interior trim, running the harness, fitting the plug in units, then the sounder and finally test and reassemble everything and all on what was a very expensive brand new vehicle so everything would have to go back in and fit perfect.

I'm wondering about the valet mode. No idea what that is, but I am going to see if mine is in that setting before I do anything else Armed with these manuals, I should be able to trace and test the entire system. All that will be left is a fault in one of the units I guess. If there is a gremlin in a PCB then there's little I can do about that. But lots to try whilst everyone is out at work tomorrow.

Back