Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Where's the best place for LHD 80's

denboy

Guys - a bit of strange request as after all RHD is what most of us look for.

I want to start looking for a 'reasonable LHD 80' - and I know that they are fairly sought after abroad - but wondering if anyone has any contacts abroad. or know any good web sites to look at...

For - an 80 series must be - key stuff is - 24v, manual, diff locks, straight chassis(no rust), no accidents - you know the rest. Must be legal and have log book or EU country equivalent. Nothing hooky.

Not that fussy about the interior or GX/VX stuff. Don't care hugely about mileage as all mechanical elements, suspension, brakes etc as all will be rebuilt or renewed.

Thanks - Denboy

Here are some secondhand websites and the buschtaxi forum
German site for second hand cars : Www.mobile.de
Buschtaxi.net, the german equivalent of landcruiserclub.net with ad section (btw verkaufe means for sale) http://forum.buschtaxi.org/marktplatz-fahrzeuge-vehicles-land-cruiser-fj-cruiser-f58.html
in Holland : www.marktplaats.nl (secondhand site) or www.autoscout24.nl
in Belgium : www.2dehands.be (biggest secondhand site in Belgium) or www.kapaza.be or www.autoscout24.be (this is where I found my '97 HDFT 80)
in France : www.leboncoin.fr

happy hunting!
wout

Here are some secondhand websites and the buschtaxi forum
German site for second hand cars : Www.mobile.de
Buschtaxi.net, the german equivalent of landcruiserclub.net with ad section (btw verkaufe means for sale) http://forum.buschtaxi.org/marktplatz-fahrzeuge-vehicles-land-cruiser-fj-cruiser-f58.html
in Holland : www.marktplaats.nl (secondhand site) or www.autoscout24.nl
in Belgium : www.2dehands.be (biggest secondhand site in Belgium) or www.kapaza.be or www.autoscout24.be (this is where I found my '97 HDFT 80)
in France : www.leboncoin.fr

happy hunting!
wout

Ta - that will do as a starter... thanks

Hello,
A friend of mine is selling his 1996 FZJ80, LHD.
The truck is 1fz-f (Carburetor), manual, part-time, dual air-con and dual fuel tank system stock, stock tire carrier on the back and stock cool/freezer box.
2" TJM lift, TJM front and rear bumper, TJM Airtec Snorkel, 12" Mile Marker winch, N4 protection plates, 33" BFG AT, Webasto Heater.

Price is 10K EUR, firm.
The truck is for sale in Bulgaria (EU Country).

The only thing changed from these photos are the rims, the truck is with the stock 16" alloy rims at the moment.

Let me know if you are interested. IMG_4438.JPGIMG_4440.JPG

Hello,
A friend of mine is selling his 1996 FZJ80, LHD.
The truck is 1fz-f (Carburetor), manual, part-time, dual air-con and dual fuel tank system stock, stock tire carrier on the back and stock cool/freezer box.
2" TJM lift, TJM front and rear bumper, TJM Airtec Snorkel, 12" Mile Marker winch, N4 protection plates, 33" BFG AT, Webasto Heater.

Price is 10K EUR, firm.
The truck is for sale in Bulgaria (EU Country).

The only thing changed from these photos are the rims, the truck is with the stock 16" alloy rims at the moment.

Let me know if you are interested. View attachment 25928View attachment 25929

Nice truck and thanks for the info - sorry I didn't say but but 4.2 Diesel is the only choice - no petrol.

And chuffing hell - going through some of the sites - the 24v Diesels are EXPENSIVE....

Still trawling through them now.

24 valve diesel, manual, VX would be the most expensive 80 Series version for the past years and onwards, yes.

Good luck, though. There was one in very decent condition recently for sale in Bulgaria for just a bit over 10K EUR, in other words, there are still places and people who are not aware what are they actually selling. Good luck to find such seller. :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
There's a bargain price white LHD drive LX470 or whatever they call the 100 series in the USA for sale somewhere in Britain , can't remember if it was diesel or petrol ?

I have to ask just how common are non UK, European 24v Manuals? Autos, yes, but stick shift? I have to say that if I was building another of these I'd be going for a 24v auto. If that meant having to add a rear locker because it was an import, I'd do that. Probably front and rear. Even though the LSD is pretty good I know. But auto is a better choice I think. 80's in the EU zone are very expensive. Ask Mussy!!!

I have to ask just how common are non UK, European 24v Manuals? Autos, yes, but stick shift? I have to say that if I was building another of these I'd be going for a 24v auto. If that meant having to add a rear locker because it was an import, I'd do that. Probably front and rear. Even though the LSD is pretty good I know. But auto is a better choice I think. 80's in the EU zone are very expensive. Ask Mussy!!!

Well I found one - just what I need - high mileage at 700,000k(doesn't matter) - 24vD, Manual, diff locks, AC etc.... BUT and a very expensive BUT....... just under 18,000Euro. Hummmm will have to have a long think about that.

This will have to wait a few months and look again...

... I have to say that if I was building another of these I'd be going for a 24v auto... But auto is a better choice I think...
I respect your opinion, Chris, however after 4 80 series trucks owned, my definite opinion is that a diesel auto can never be better than a diesel manual. The auto-box is sluggish, not responsive enough in stock version, especially with larger tires, not to mention the fuel consumption. 1FZ with auto is ok.

Last edited:
well the French site has over 600 pre 2001 Diesel Landcruisers listed compared to 109 on fleabay in the UK. Certainly more choice available even if they are a little steeper in price.

If I was building an overlander it would be LHD Manual in an ideal world. It seems more and more countries in Africa and South America are banning RHD.
Quite a few auto 80's on the forum seem to suffer gearbox issues although it could just be that there are more autos on the forum than manuals.

well the French site has over 600 pre 2001 Diesel Landcruisers listed compared to 109 on fleabay in the UK. Certainly more choice available even if they are a little steeper in price.

If I was building an overlander it would be LHD Manual in an ideal world. It seems more and more countries in Africa and South America are banning RHD.
Quite a few auto 80's on the forum seem to suffer gearbox issues although it could just be that there are more autos on the forum than manuals.

That's exactly why I'm looking - 90% of where I'm planning to go is LHD - so even while I've got a fully prep'd RHD I will NOT be able to get into some countries with a RHD truck. Bearing in mind the cost of building another truck and all the kit required I considered a new truck with the new engine V6 4.5 D or whatever - then came the bigger issue now... all this EURO6 engine stuff...... and I'm hearing stories of travelers in the South America boondocks getting serious issues with the high sulfur content fuel (not as refined as the western world fuel) - the sensors on the new type engines do not like it and cut the engines out.

I've heard stories of people with new trucks that have given up and shipped trucks back because they keep cutting out plus Chile is getting very tough to get into (hit and miss) with a RHD truck - some border posts let you through - others wont. Plus I'll be shipping the truck over so I can expect a 'proper' customs look-over... so I don't want the risk.

Don't really want a HZ engine that's turbo'd although that's an option if all else fails - so looking for LHD version of my truck with the 24V 4.2d 1HD-FT - etc etc and it needs to be legal in so much as it has to be an original truck as it came out of the factory - no engine swaps from HZ to 1HD-FT - I don't want a logbook border issue going into China...

I'll keep looking as I'm not in a rush.....

Last edited:
You can notify DVLA of any changes and they will update the log book to reflect that.

And of course Yaro it is only my opinion. I have had 4 of these too and still have 2. One manual and one auto. Every time I get back into the auto I find myself thinking "Why the hell would anyone want to change gear?' My auto goes like stink and towing my quad still gives me 21 mpg. Andy has a couple of 24v autos and I know he's confirmed 26 mpg out of his, from memory. I've driven one of them and it's brilliant. Maybe you have had poor autos, I can't say. I know I have driven some shocking manuals actually that wouldn't pull a granny in her wheelchair.

Mine was pretty quick until I loaded it with all the extras. I think that at this age now, they are ALL variable and the best one is the one you drive and find satisfactory. I don't think we can any longer say ALL autos are this and all manuals are that. I just wish my manual was as easy to drive and as quick as my auto. As the auto wasn't available in the UK, they're all imports and as such typically superb underneath. I do think it narrows the choice if you only go for one thing in particular. Look for one that in the best condition you can and see if it drives well. In my view that's the one you should buy. As soon as you say got to be manual, you eliminate a lot of potential vehicles. Manual, auto, 12v, 24v white, blue, green... they never made a bad one.

I have to say we did 4000 miles on that Morocco trip last year across town, cities and desert and actually the ONLY time I though bollox, I need a LHD version was at the damn toll booths. Never had any issue with RHD when driving.

I think you may have missed mine and Denboys posts above re LHD, there are countries where RHD vehicles cannot enter, period, however there are no countries which do the same for LHD, so if you planning a trip through Africa, Middle East or the Americas LHD will be the only way you can enter countries such as for example Senegal, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Nigeria, Costa Rica.

No I haven't Mark. I think you have missed that I was answering Yaro's point about autos.

RHD/LHD is only ONE of the criteria. I don't think a vehicle has ever been prevented from entering Senegal because it didn't have diff locks. If LHD is a deal breaker then Denboy might have to compromise on something else or he may be chasing a rainbow. A very expensive rainbow. There aren't enough of these around to be too fussy. If you want a Colorado you can pretty much take you pick right down to the colour of the seats. There's plenty of really good ones around.

You might be more likely to get a LHD 70 series.

No I didn't Chris, I was referring to your last sentence re how you only felt you needed lhd for the toll booths. However Morocco was a 3 week trip so not really a comparison to a long term overland trip or accounting for problems further south on the Western Route through Africa or South America.

Yes that would be the bit Mark where I said the only time that I, me, the driver missed LHD on one particular trip was at the tolls. If I'd had a passenger I wouldn't have mentioned it. The only time I needed LHD in Morocco was at the booths. If I'd been trying to get into Senagal, which I wasn't I would have said you must get a LHD truck or you won't get in. If I'd been going to America I might have said get a petrol as there are some places that don't sell diesel. If I'd been going to Oz I'd have said get a white one they're cooler.

But I wasn't.

No I haven't Mark. I think you have missed that I was answering Yaro's point about autos.

RHD/LHD is only ONE of the criteria. I don't think a vehicle has ever been prevented from entering Senegal because it didn't have diff locks. If LHD is a deal breaker then Denboy might have to compromise on something else or he may be chasing a rainbow. A very expensive rainbow. There aren't enough of these around to be too fussy. If you want a Colorado you can pretty much take you pick right down to the colour of the seats. There's plenty of really good ones around.

You might be more likely to get a LHD 70 series.

Trying to get something that I know will work everywhere. As I mentioned I could just go out and get a new troopie truck and start with that - HZ version I'd have to turbo to get the power... not 100% on that but I know they do work and people have used them for 1000's of miles etc. Also seen the horror pictures of badly done versions with cracked heads etc.

The V6 TD 4.5 - yep its got a high thirst for fuel and would limited my travel away from fuel stops - extra tanks would help... BUT the biggest problem is the fuel quality issue in the remote countries.

So I've gone backwards in years and opted to look for a 1HD-FT engined truck. Which I believe should handle all the fuels - I already have all the running spares to transfer - I know all (or most) the issues with overlanding in this type of truck.

I will be gutting the crap outa it and starting again and it won't be a 3 month at a time overland truck - this will be a long term travel live inside build as I want to away for probably the best part of 18 months.

I looked at 'bigger' - much bigger units but I really don't fancy the live aboard converted monster trucks - after watching some guy take hours digging himself out and changing a tire and rim is a major exercise, plus you are limited to where you can go when it comes down to tracks and villages.

So I will be trawling around the web looking for a good LHD 24v TD 80 - AC, diff locks etc. Like I said I'm in no rush.

Sounds epic. Looking forward to a build thread! Forgetting the extra bits and pieces, having an utterly sorted base is paramount. I'd like to have done a full body-off strip down job but just didn't have the room. I appreciate that your question was very specific there hasn't necessarily been a pointer to a vehicle just lots of whys and have you thought abouts, but what about a 105 series? 80 running gear and 100 body. If that was a LHD would it be a consideration. They do pop up occasionally.

Back