Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Which Batterys

smokyjoe

Hello more questions from this pest again :oops:

Well my truck has been a little lazy to start after being left a couple of days so as the misses needed it this morning i charged both batterys last night just incase,
To my amazment i jumped in this morning and heated it then click dead :shock: i then jumped it and took it for a good run to charge them up lunch time dead :cry:

both batterys have bits of wood under the bracket as they are not tall enough, what spec batterys are they meant to be as i may just replace them anyway as they look old and its winter so want reliability.

Often Toyota dealers are the best price for batteries. I got two for the 120 which were cheaper than most online shops. Call them, tell them you have a 90 and they'll sell you the two batteries...

Wow thanks for the speedy reply :thumbup:
Main dealer theres a shock i would never have thought of trying them what sort of price are they,
I was thinking of them deep cycle spiral batterys as they are lighter and suposedly last longer.

I wouldn't believe the hype on Optimas. I don't think that they are worth the money. You can buy two good std batteries for the price of one and they'll still last three or four years without hassle. The thing with the Winter pack on the 90 is that when one battery goes, it acts as a sort of resistor and drags the good battery down. A 90 really only needs one battery to fire it up. Two sounds dead cool, but it's just not necessary. If you want a leisure battery in a 90, I would certainly stick a split charge system in, separate the two units and just use one for starting. It is an unnecessary expense really having two. Really best to replace in pairs if you stay with the Winter pack. My main dealer price was rubbish. I went to Milners in the end and got Yuasas from them for my 80. Mr T wasn't even close to a Halfords price!

This is the time of year when you find out how good your batteries really are. First cold snap and they're gone. No point prolonging the inevitable really.

Chris

Chris said:
I wouldn't believe the hype on Optimas. I don't think that they are worth the money. You can buy two good std batteries for the price of one and they'll still last three or four years without hassle. The thing with the Winter pack on the 90 is that when one battery goes, it acts as a sort of resistor and drags the good battery down. A 90 really only needs one battery to fire it up. Two sounds dead cool, but it's just not necessary. If you want a leisure battery in a 90, I would certainly stick a split charge system in, separate the two units and just use one for starting. It is an unnecessary expense really having two. Really best to replace in pairs if you stay with the Winter pack. My main dealer price was rubbish. I went to Milners in the end and got Yuasas from them for my 80. Mr T wasn't even close to a Halfords price!

This is the time of year when you find out how good your batteries really are. First cold snap and they're gone. No point prolonging the inevitable really.

Chris

Ah right i thought they where supposed to be good long lasting baterys shows how the hype works then :shock:
my batterys are vartas at the moment and are dated 03 so past there best they are 660cca so is that the right spec and if i was to go down to one what amp would that have to be?
thanks for you reply :thumbup:

There is nothing really special about the battery needs for a daily drive truck, honestly. 660 cca should be enough to cold start a woolly mammoth. If you are planning winching activities etc then batteries start to be a bit more important but for an engine which starts first touch usually, just standard auto shop fitment will be fine. Varta are good, Numax and Yuasa too. OK having bits of wood to make them fit clearly isn't right, so get the correct dimensioned ones. But I wouldn't agonise over what to go for as a normal starting battery.

Yours are the wrong ones and they have done 7 years!!!!

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yes i am hopeing to fit a winch in the new year so i guess keeping the two and split chargeing may be the way to go(more questions to follow :shock: )
I had hoped they would last untill when i had to upgrade them but heyho.

Well you will then be into the "it's all been covered here before" territory. No point reinventing the wheel. Seek and ye shall learn.

Chris

Chris said:
Well you will then be into the "it's all been covered here before" territory. No point reinventing the wheel. Seek and ye shall learn.

Chris

yeh sure will but thats for a later date :thumbup:

so it looks like 2 new batterys for the now at 660cca then ;) i take it they would be alright for a winch equiped vehicle?

It wouldn't bother me. 660 is absolutely fine. But that isn't the only measurement of a battery of course. That is what it can 'dump' in a burst. Winching isn't quite the same as starting. With a split system, you can protect one battery so if you stuff up and flatten one then at the click of a button, you bring the other on line. Standard fitment, proper sized batteries will be spot on for just about everything you could want. For a leisure battery running a fridge etc, it is a slightly different story.

Chris

Well a quick update,
I went to a reputable tyre place that does batterys and had them checked, the outcome was
alternator 14volts fine
left battery 11% unserviseable
right battery 37% unserviseable
i am amazed it starts atall with those results.

so i asked for a price and was told by a rather nice chap to go to a motor factors as they will be cheeper :shock: now that doesnt happen every day and i was that happy i ordered another tyre for my spare :thumbup:
so now have to wait till monday as the motor factors shut at 12 so still not starting properly

Reinforces my point that you don't need a biggun to start a cruiser. Not one that starts easily anyway. If you have to crank it over due to, say, bleeding the fuel system then you'll need some reserve of course.

Chris

Just to update ive now got two new batterys fitted and she spins over faster than any vehicle ive ever had :thumbup: so a big thankyou for all your replies,
total cost was £140 for the pair from toyota which was a shock to me as they where by far the cheepest and have 3 year warrenty.

Back