Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Which engine oil are you using?

Betoner

Country Flag
slovenia
Which oil should we use for our lovely D4D? I know that SAE 5W30 is recommended, also API CF-4m API CF or ACEA B1 (1KD-FTV). Just called my yota official mechanic, they are using Toyota PFE (API SN, ACEA C2).
I read about API codes, that C is for diesel (compression) and S is for gasoline (spark), so how SN is ok for diesel?
More I read, less I know :)

Toyota still sell their own branded oils, for the spec mentioned in your handbook. Why would you not want to stick to that?

Buy the OE filters, buy their oil, keep motoring.

Unless there is a specific outcome you are trying to achieve ?

My question is: at official service they are using original TOYOTA PFE oil with API SN, so this should be the best for my engine?

I am trying to get other opinions, what oils are they (you) using, to exchange experience. Currently I have PFE inside, with OEM filters.

It's the specs and not the brand that's important. I look around for the best deals at oil change time so it could be Shell, Carplan, Halfords etc. I have bought Toyota branded oil in the past and at the time it was made by Mobil, according to the parts guy. The specs for a 1HD-FT stipulate API- CD/CE/CF. Many modern oils will have higher specs but will be fine to use, having said that there's no point in paying a premium for potions aimed at the latest engine tech with 15-20k service intervals. Sticking with OEM filters is a given IMO. :thumbup:

I'm a fan of Morris oils - get a 25 litre drum of what they recommend (oil chooser tool on their site) and do a double change (or use the ECP cheapo stuff for the first flush and 50 miles) before changing the filter. Amazing the crap that comes out after one change. Mann filters are good too - proper pressure relief valves etc.

Gone back to Diesel specific engine oils.
Currently on Castrol full synth, have used Morris/Fuchs/Millers etc whenever there's a decent bargain in 20+ litre packs.
For better or worse i don't like super thin 5/30 so always get 5/40 grade.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back