Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Which hydraulic winch...?

Lorin

Is a Mile Marker worth over 50% more than a comparable Champion hydraulic winch and are there any other makes worth considering?

I've been quoted £665 (exc VAT) for a Mile Marker HF12 versus £435 (exc VAT) for a Champion C10000NH.

I have no experience of Champion but can say the MileMarker hydraulic winches are very well made.

My winch is an Ox which is a rebadged MileMarker. I got it from Jon who I don't think ever serviced it in 5 or 6 years of ownership. I used it for about a year, again with zero maintenance. It has never given any problems.

I did strip and clean it when I fitted the upgraded motor. The grease was a bit nasty but all the bits looked to be in tip top condition after a scrub in the parts washer.

With its upgraded pump and motor it is a bit of a beast now. I'll give you a demo at Lincomb.

Ian

Ian Rubie said:
I have no experience of Champion but can say the MileMarker hydraulic winches are very well made. [snip] I got it from Jon who I don't think ever serviced it in 5 or 6 years of ownership.
I bought it second hand (about 12 months old) in March 2002, it pulled more trees out the ground than it did trucks but it got dunked in plenty of muck :D So that's about 9 years of no maintenance and it just needed a bit of grease? :thumbup:

That sounds like a good price Lorin, where's that from?

Lorin does that include bolt on hoses for the 80?

The price for the Mile Marker was from First Four Offroad Vehical Equipment http://www.firstfour.co.uk/

As far as I'm aware it was for the winch only and doesn't include any hoses.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I spoke to them today and explained it was for an 80...? Had a bit of a chat as I'm not intending to power it off the power steering pump. I obviously got lost in the details and failed to clarify exactly what was/was not included for the price :oops: I'll give them another call tomorrow.

Anyone heard of, or know anything about Red Winches. http://www.red-winches.com/index.html

I've just been pointed their way by OEC International after enquiring about an Ox winch (too pricey because of shipping).

Look pretty good.

King One (they're the Chinese company that make the winches that Bowyer rebadges in the UK) do a pretty good hydro winch as well, as a rule look for a drive ratio of 6:1

Red winches look like a waste of money to me :shock:

We have fitted a few Milemarkers and have been pretty happy with them.

If you are going for the Milemarker, arrange to put together your own pipework - the pipes that come in some kits are odd lengths that may not fit in with where you mount the valve block so usually best to site the valve block and then measure up for the pipes and get them made up locally.

Also be careful with mounting the valve block, it can be noisey if bolted directly to the body.

When buying the winch, do specify how it is going to be powered. Allan Byrne used to supply the MM H12 with a different motor if being run from a LC power steering pump to provide more acceptable speeds - I have a US sourced one running off the power steering pump and in low range it will pull houses down, but will be overtaken by a slug trying to escape. It is more acceptable in high gear, but then pretty gutless - with a more appropriate motor on the winch it tends to run better.

Having said that during the next couple of weeks we will be designing the mounts to run a ZF74 pump off the crank on 12 and 24 valve engines - we have a rough design already, but just need to fabricate it up.

Will the pump replace the air con compressor Julian?

Ian seems pretty happy with the Type R we knocked up for him, valve blocks will be quite as a mouse providing you port the motor correctly, regardless of location.

dollythelw said:
Ian seems pretty happy with the Type R we knocked up for him, valve blocks will be quite as a mouse providing you port the motor correctly, regardless of location.
Very envious of your engineering skills on that :thumbup:

Nah, you could knock that out over breakfast Jon... :p

I must admit to being vay impressed with Ian's winch - I couldn't stop laughing as I was dragged up the field at Lincomb at such a rate of knots!!!

[OT] Gav, you'll have to tell me offline how on earth you managed to get stuck on a bone-dry field at Lincomb so badly that you needed to be winched out :whistle: [/OT]

Sh!t tyres (according to Jim :p ) & that is mightily slippy grass in the direct sunlight like that... :lol:

Julian Voelcker said:
We have fitted a few Milemarkers and have been pretty happy with them.

If you are going for the Milemarker, arrange to put together your own pipework - the pipes that come in some kits are odd lengths that may not fit in with where you mount the valve block so usually best to site the valve block and then measure up for the pipes and get them made up locally.

Also be careful with mounting the valve block, it can be noisey if bolted directly to the body.

When buying the winch, do specify how it is going to be powered. Allan Byrne used to supply the MM H12 with a different motor if being run from a LC power steering pump to provide more acceptable speeds - I have a US sourced one running off the power steering pump and in low range it will pull houses down, but will be overtaken by a slug trying to escape. It is more acceptable in high gear, but then pretty gutless - with a more appropriate motor on the winch it tends to run better.

Having said that during the next couple of weeks we will be designing the mounts to run a ZF74 pump off the crank on 12 and 24 valve engines - we have a rough design already, but just need to fabricate it up.

Have you completed the project ready for sale?

Stephen

Back