Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Which wax/paint protection products

I looked at my Landcruiser to start detailing but looks like it has a plastic coating on top of paint so not sure how to start cleaning this one. I applied polish n ceramic coat on rear bumper as test. Will wait 1 day n see what happens.

Attachments

• F3269625-E5DC-48F1-9CAF-96A7D6B091EC.jpeg
    F3269625-E5DC-48F1-9CAF-96A7D6B091EC.jpeg
    215.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 6E672194-A927-4C9B-A358-5E18A9FFCF90.jpeg
    6E672194-A927-4C9B-A358-5E18A9FFCF90.jpeg
    334.4 KB · Views: 47
Did all crazy experiments with Lexus. Foam, shampoo, clay mitt, clay bar at lower end doors, iron fall out spray, ceramic polish n wax and topped with ceramic coat. On sun roof glass I did all above steps+rainX+ceramic coat. Will see results n use these on LC

Attachments

• 55519B0C-EDA0-4BB1-BA3E-CAEE95A9A34B.jpeg
    55519B0C-EDA0-4BB1-BA3E-CAEE95A9A34B.jpeg
    389 KB · Views: 43
That 'plastic coating' looks like the top coat (lacquer) peeling!!

Thank you Gary. so its actual paint thats going off? Today i cleaned bonnet, front bumper and roof and noticed this same peeling off is there at few other places.
If this is actual paint, do I have to repaint it?

It does look like lacquer peeling in the photo you posted above yes

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Did all crazy experiments with Lexus. Foam, shampoo, clay mitt, clay bar at lower end doors, iron fall out spray, ceramic polish n wax and topped with ceramic coat. On sun roof glass I did all above steps+rainX+ceramic coat. Will see results n use these on LC

For glass I haven't found anything better than Rocket Butter Rain Rebel. It's a glass sealer which not only repels water but stops that annoying wiper judder you sometimes get. The wiper blades just glide over the screen giving superb visibility.

Towpack your message came in at right time. Today morning I applied wax to land cruiser windsreen and when I took it for drive I have this wiper judder/wiper is just jumping all over windscreen and was thinking of removing wax. Will try Rocket Butter one.

Remove the wax first with a good glass cleaner, then apply the Rocket Butter as per instructions.:thumbup:

I still have a few of the blue pots of MER ...the stuff that they used to sell at Sunday markets etc where the bloke had an old mini bonnet that he polished then poured lighter fuel on it and set it on fire !
I have found nothing to touch it....it dries to a white powder and just polishes off and you top up the affect by putting a couple of capfuls in the bucket of water when you wash it ....
They used to sell it in Halfords etc , then changed the pots to black and the formulation of the polish....it was nothing like as good after that

Got some great ideas from here n used turtle wax ceramic polish and wax, turtle wax ceramic spray and today finished Landcruiser outside cleaning. It’s now lot better than before. I am impressed with turtle wax. There are swirls on paint but gloss is really good.

Attachments

• 83AB3DFE-78DF-4CAF-8A13-402657A01251.jpeg
    83AB3DFE-78DF-4CAF-8A13-402657A01251.jpeg
    267.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 5A6B1467-DE97-4847-8C11-A012141F6401.jpeg
    5A6B1467-DE97-4847-8C11-A012141F6401.jpeg
    393.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 05C2061D-DEBF-4739-9FFA-DD6773C82833.jpeg
    05C2061D-DEBF-4739-9FFA-DD6773C82833.jpeg
    192 KB · Views: 30
  • 6A5E0D14-DDA8-48AF-A95A-DA10DA0DEF0A.jpeg
    6A5E0D14-DDA8-48AF-A95A-DA10DA0DEF0A.jpeg
    241.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 861BAF26-15E4-4741-9238-29EA22AAB7C8.jpeg
    861BAF26-15E4-4741-9238-29EA22AAB7C8.jpeg
    244.5 KB · Views: 32
like a clean car
Gary looked back at your pics n today tried machine polish. Results r better but it’s very hard job. I only did front bonnet n my back is hurting badly. In 5 days I hope to complete the job

Yesterday I went to detailing shop to check price. They quoted 1000£ for the job (machine polish, ceramic coat) so I got some polishing pads, chemicals etc for 45£ n decided to do something productive during holidays with car :) if I don’t look busy garden n house detailing job will be handed over to me.

I don't even bother to wash my 90 because of Gary! :icon-wink: :p
I never did because i like to practice my rattle can skills but recently discovered after my pink stuff experiment that the turtle wax colour wax lets me just rinse off bird shit leaving no evidence making wax worthwhile . Once a year with marine wax is my plan once i've painted and polished out all the minor scratches . Protection rather than makeup .

Raj, be very careful with machine polishing, you need to keep the pad/area 'wet' at all times and watch your pressure applied, or a build up of heat will burn your lacquer/paintwork with irreversable damage.
TBH, most paintwork, unless you have an old vehicle has a clear lacquer applied, so the paintwork doesn't get polished at all.

careful with machine polishing,
Thank you TM. Yesterday I took 3 hrs for bonnet. Only using speeds of 1,2. I am not experienced enough for paint correction so as you said I might spoil and can’t afford Landcruiser to be my failed experimental subject.

It's definitely a workout detailing a car! As mentioned above be careful with a machine polisher, a DA (dual action) is the safer option, a rotary takes some practice.
Edges of panels, sharper contours, too much heat, not enough or too much product. There's some really good stuff on you tube showing how to do it.

I used to practice on cars I had as run arounds, cost a couple of hundred to buy so if/when damaged the paint it didn't matter, only burnt through once as got it too hot using a rotary.
A panel from a scrap car would be good to learn on too.

I'm actually going to cheat with the Hilux as my mate who's a detailer owes me a favour, £250 to do paint correction and ceramic coat it (it was a big favour)

I'll be doing the landcruiser before the coast to coast so only needs a quick clean after ready for sale, need the time to remove the bits I'm keeping off it.

Thanks Gary. I don’t know what type of polisher is mine but it jumps sometimes and makes it difficult to hold on to surface so I didn’t go beyond 2 speed. Finally I completed the job with one big scratch at the end. It’s a daring experiment, I could ve used Accord but overpowered by desire to make Cruiser the best on the road

Back