Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Which year / version if you had the choice ?

Whilst this thread seems to have been derailed slightly and we seem to be discussing the variations of 100 series specs I'd like, for other interested parties benefit put an image of my centre console/dash.

IMG_1016_zpsh1olo93t.jpg

it is different to any other I've seen.

Whilst this thread seems to have been derailed slightly and we seem to be discussing the variations of 100 series specs ..

Only if we truely see the different options & variations, we can make an informed descition as to what make, model & MY each & one would prefer.
As we see with Your vehicle Andy, the imports throw a whole new set of spanner into the toolbox...
At least it did for me...

... the imports throw a whole new set of spanner into the toolbox...
At least it did for me...[/QUOTE]

That's sounds intriguing.

Okay, let me be more precise; My interest (& limited knowledge) has been focused on J10 EU-models & the odd US-model I have come across. I now realize Toyota have a number of deviations based on its originally intended marked.
Not a shocker as such, as I know this "already" from J6-7-8 , but the (technical) extent we have uncovered only in this thread is abit of a surprise to me.
Live & learn

I take it that the stolen 100's coming in from Japan via the emirates are now no longer a problem due to age and value?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Another viewing and more rust !

This was a 2004 and the drivers rear sill has been repaired for rust already but its coming back through. The inner rear of the wheelarch pushes though by hand. The tailgates had been repaired in the usual places aswell.

Got some pictures to show a bodyshop tomorrow but think it will be off the cards due to amount needing to be spent just after purchase :(

Weighing up wether to go and look at the 105 petrol (although will it lack comfort and spec) or have a poke at some 120 series :(

Another viewing and more rust !

This was a 2004 and the drivers rear sill has been repaired for rust already but its coming back through. The inner rear of the wheelarch pushes though by hand. The tailgates had been repaired in the usual places aswell.

Got some pictures to show a bodyshop tomorrow but think it will be off the cards due to amount needing to be spent just after purchase :(

Weighing up wether to go and look at the 105 petrol (although will it lack comfort and spec) or have a poke at some 120 series :(

This is no surprise what you are finding. I'd keep the search going until the right one comes along,and one will, whether its a randomly good one (they are out there) or one which has been enthusiast maintained by someone like a club member. One thing to remember is that what you, and I and everyone else looking for "the Grail" are looking at old vehicles with 12-16 winters behind them and not much in the way of under body protection.
If you see a possible candidate in our area let me know and I ( and possibly others close by) can/will view it for you ( which I have done for forum members and others from foreign climes quite a few times).
One thing I would say is don't buy work unless you are very proficient and have facilities otherwise it'll be on the drive forever.

Please elaborate

There were a number of consumer pieces in the media and a documentary type piece (might have been watchdog). They filmed the arrival of the police along with a representative from Japanese insurance companies. It was a scam on an industrial scale, where cars were pinched in Japan, taken to Dubai and modified to look European spec and new or nearly new. Vin numbers were ground off and new ones put in. They were then sold (often via innocent dealers) to folk, who then lost huge sums (£30k +) when the police turned up and cars were confiscated.

When I bought my first V8 LC in 2002, I was put off imports for this reason - as were many and paid a premium for a car registered in the UK new. My guess is that this is not a problem any more as the cars are much older and values much lower. So not very interesting to the criminal world

This is no surprise what you are finding. I'd keep the search going until the right one comes along,and one will, whether its a randomly good one (they are out there) or one which has been enthusiast maintained by someone like a club member. One thing to remember is that what you, and I and everyone else looking for "the Grail" are looking at old vehicles with 12-16 winters behind them and not much in the way of under body protection.
If you see a possible candidate in our area let me know and I ( and possibly others close by) can/will view it for you ( which I have done for forum members and others from foreign climes quite a few times).
One thing I would say is don't buy work unless you are very proficient and have facilities otherwise it'll be on the drive forever.

This is very true however i dont really want to get 6 months down the line and have still not found anything :(

At least im getting to know my way around them I suppose !

I dont mind taking on work at the right price but rust is something I can do myself and therefore puts it in not for me. The other issue is that as noting on them really goes wrong you cant really find one that needs work for cheaper !

I was looking for 100s with my father around about your year range, and we were surprised at the amount of rust we found, we got through about half a dozen before we found one that was just acceptable, and that was in worse condition than my 80, but seven years younger...

Does not suprise me as ive certainly not been looking at the cheapest out there !

A standard 80 looks more appealing as time goes on lol

Thanks Nathan for the insight
I know this was an issue some 10-15 years back with other "hot" cars in the UK.
I would assume that the LC100 by now is so "old" that is would no longer be targeted by this suspition.
Fair point for highlighting it though :)

I know that stolen vehicles from Japan have been flooding a variety of markeds.

We suffer some of the same here in both Scandinavia & Cetral Europe for that natter. High end cars dissapear...
Again KAUNAS, Lt has been pinpointed as a huge haven for stolen cars in the press.

Back