Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Whine (the car, not me). Do I need new wheel bearings?

I had a few people tell me my diff noise after the last trip was tyres but I knew it wasn't :(. But my noise stopped when I lifted off the throttle and when I disconnected the rear prop. Have you tried disconnecting the rear yet?

Mark, mine remains constant whether power is applied or not, but if I'm still worried I will try disconnecting the rear too for peace of mind.

Shayne - don't mention the shunt! I ran with the front prop disconnected for a while and it was beautiful having no shunt to worry about. I could just dump the clutch and go... For what they are and for all the supposed mere 123hp these cars SHIFT. I didn't quite manage any drifting though must have been close in RWD ;)

Front prop removed and no shunt in mine either which played a part in my deliberations , I cannot move the wishbones with a crowbar with the car jacked up and the bushes look ok but i asked the mrs to bounce the steering wheel against full lock while parked and they do move to and fro .

For whatever reason the front wheels get more power than the rear and i'm guessing the front wheels are accelerating just a fraction of a second faster than the rear due to play in the bushes .

Guesswork of course but i should have an answer to my own question soon .

Last edited:
Tell you what Shayne, if that's the solution I'll buy you a beer. I've been racking my brains over it too over the years. It never seems to get any worse, so I'll live with it. (My wishbones are rock solid btw, as far as I can tell). I've had a different front diff on it, with no change, so I've given up expensive experiments

If you've got a constant whine, IME bearings usually make a 'wha wha wha wha wha' sort of sound leading to a low rumble when really bad. Could you try borrowing a set of wheels from somebody? Anyone with a jap 4x4 should be able to help but a similar cruiser would be ideal.

if only there was a landcruiser gathering soon...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back