Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Whitsun in Spain

goodoldboy

compared to most of the trips posted here this is small beer but i thought i would give it a go being as we have a nice new shiny site & user interface to play with .
Spain is dotted with Ermitas - small chapels in remote areas mostly on top of hills or mountains with a cell attached to house the solitary monk/preist - that gives us the word hermit.On Whitsun its traditional to walk up to the chapel , celebrate a mass 6 then get stuck in to eating & drinking .we went in the landcruiser. About half the people went into the mass the rest of us hung around outside doing what the Spanish do best - eating drinking smoking & shooting the shit.I dont have any photos of the ascent as i was driving but as my other half aggreed to drive down i could enjoy a couple of small glasses of wine .
so here goes with the photos .this is the traditional way of getting up if you are young & dont fancy walking
IMAG0547.jpg
some views from the top
IMAG0575.jpg
IMAG0565.jpg
IMAG0544.jpg

Stunning. It's far more rugged and beautiful than I think we sometimes give it credit for.

ok getting the hang of this

IMAG0555.jpg

apart from the last 2 miles the track was decent & doable with care in any car
IMAG0561.jpg
but the Spanish have no mechanical sympathy
IMAG0559.jpg
dont see many of these about any more - this was the weapon of choice about 15 years ago taking over from the LR santana.the nissan terrano is now the 15 +year old 4x4x of choice with 90 series landcruisers more common round here . the discovery in the background was mint , an original 3 door
IMAG0560.jpg
more & more 90s are appearing in our neck of the woods as their original city slicker owners upgrade.prices are almost double compared to the uk .the above with its regional prefix numberplate hasnt changed hands for about 15 years.
hopefully i will get round to posting the photos of the return trip sometime later this week

Great photos.
Inland Spain is very underrated, there are some beautiful and rugged areas. And the Spaniards use any and every excuse to have a fiesta (party not Ford).
You are right about the Spanish and mechanical sympathy... they seem to attack every task with a hammer and if that doesn't work - get a bigger hammer.

Regards,

:) party! The ######french like an excuse for a beer up... 4 bank hols this month! This Sunday is a fete of the motorways!

Looking forward to exploring some trails in Aragon and Navarre in June in our Hilux

Reactions: Pat
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Looking forward to exploring some trails in Aragon and Navarre in June in our Hilux
Andy,does Spain still have an automotive industry?I wondered if on your travels you had seen any Pegaso cars and I know at one time farm tractors used to come into NZ and I believe they used to make heavy trucks.
Just interested.Pat

Andy,does Spain still have an automotive industry?I wondered if on your travels you had seen any Pegaso cars and I know at one time farm tractors used to come into NZ and I believe they used to make heavy trucks.
Just interested.Pat

Never seen any, I will keep a look out next month

SEAT cars are Spanish I believe, but part of VW

Never seen any, I will keep a look out next month

SEAT cars are Spanish I believe, but part of VW
Spain has a big car industry VW Nissan Mercedes-Benz Renault Ford GM & iveco all manufacture in Spain.we have a old Pegaso fire engine at the station , a lovely old bit of kit but it struggles to reach 70kph on the costaban loaded.

You can add Suzuki to the list as well.
Didn't know Pegaso made cars as well. I have a mate (Spaniard) who has a collection of antique cars, I'll ask him about them when I see him next.

Crackin' photies there, what stunning scenery.

I work with some Spanish engineer's, must work on an invite.... :lol:

some photos of the the trip back.On the way there we went the long way via the nearest village because i know the route well . there were several options for the return & my other half decided to take the "short cut" - not that i was bothered having consumed "two small glasses of wine" so i sat back & enjoyed the trip
IMAG0583.jpg
IMAG0583.jpg
most of the pista was decent but we did later come to a section with bad washouts that would have spoilt your day in a opel astra.... IMAG0584.jpg IMAG0588.jpg

er not sure why the first photo appears twice as it only comes up one on the preview & edit any ideas?

Back