Graham

Garage
Country Flag
uk
I remember some one here had a JEEP.

Reason I ask is my wife is seriously looking at a Cherokee 2.8 CRD

Graham

Cherokee 4.7 V8 petrol, for a few months¿

Great vehicle for road use, smooth and generally reliable. Mine had the SFA which tend to be leaky around the pinion seal, electric Windows weak design.

Correct oil for the gearbox change if auto is mega expensive.

Check and doublé check digital display is good, also blend motors and flaps for AC and heater can be a RPITA, (dash out job to sort).

Other than that not a bad road car.

Regards

Dave

Hi Graham,

It wasn't me but my eldest has had various Jeeps in Canada so I may be able to help.
However 2.8 CRD uses a VM 4c engine (made in Italy) also used in various Defender models and a Daimler Benz gearbox.
Not sure if there are similarities to the 5cyl VM engine fitted to the 73 series but if so they have a separate c/head for each pot and they are v/expensive so check compression, head/gasket leaks etc.
Not sure that the vacuum valve hidden behind the block applies to diesels but may be worth checking and if it has and has been in deep (hubs under and above) water don't touch it - it sucks the water, mud and surrounding countryside into the engine.

Of course I appreciate that this may not be at all relevant but hey-ho

Regards,

Hello all,

Thanks for some info.

The 2.8 CRD is indeed a 4 cyl engine

We went to view it a week ago, and it looks immaculate.

We didn't drive it as his dealer plates were not available then.
It started up easy enough, no smoke.
It did seem a tad lumpy, but it was stone cold.

Jeep 3a.jpgJeep 1a.jpg

Last edited:
It was me who sold one a while back Graham, a petrol one. Bought as a flip.
I didn't mind it actually. I will say the drive was typically american - comfy, a bit wallowy, and "remote" ie not the right motor if you want a "drivers car".
That said it was ok, reasonable on juice for a big petrol 4x4. Easy enough to work on. I did find it bland inside.
Watch out for position minus-1 on the ignition lock.......I had the radio turned down in ours and kept flattening the battery. Then realised you should take the key out at position 0 not minus 1........

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back