Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Who is doing what maintenance today?

need to speak to me for tests mate. I dont get that stuff. last time i got told the 80 was to clean to be a reall 4x4 as i thought it better be cleaned before test.

Finally got around to getting the wheel alignment done today following the lower ball joint replacement a fortnight ago.

So all good and back to business as usual.....well, for the time being at least.:thumbup:

Thought I'd got an exhaust vibration turned out to be only 1 bolt holding my new starter motor in, new nut and bolt no more vibration,spoke to the garage who supplied and fitted it and was told "oh I've heard they can vibrate out",my reply was funny how Toyota managed for it not to do that for over 17 years,well at least it's fixed and wiring loom put back at same time

Failed MOT initially, but after I explained the body stops at the bulkhead it magically passed...

After returning home shortly after leaving on Sunday morning with an 80 that was chuffing like a steam engine I found my no5 injector blowing by.

Went to pull it this morning and found the bolt finger tight!![emoji33] That'll be the cause then! So pulled it, and pulled it, and after much cursing and about 1/2 hr with a pry bar under it I managed to get the blighter out. Spent the next 2 hrs cleaning up the hole. Got some 20mm plastic conduit and put some double sided tape round the end with some aluminium oxide paper wrapped round it. Did the same with some 15mm plastic water pipe but turned the abrasive round the end of the pipe.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444898694.248977.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444898713.069139.jpg

Hey presto, two diameters of pipe to attach to a vacuum cleaner and scrub away at the inside of the injector hole without dropping bits into the cylinder. [emoji6][emoji4] the smaller one cleaned up the seat a treat with the abrasive turned round the end and full dust extraction from the vacuum cleaner (fingers crossed).

Refitted the injector and new seal and O ring and put it all back together. Torqued up the bolt to 39 Nm after giving it a run in and out of the thread in the head to make sure it was free.

Then on to the next job. Front prop, front UJ and tested out my theory of being able to replace it while still fitted to the truck. Hmm doing the Mk1 Shogun one like this was a piece of cake…not so the 80 as I had to give some good hard whacks with the copper mallet to get the caps moving. But move they did, enough to then get one out and a puller in to get the second out on the prop shaft end. Then used the puller to push the cap, yoke and cap through and one cap out the other side. Alas I was then stuck with an otherwise free yoke and cap inside the lobes of the UJ. I ended up getting the grinder to it and cutting through the yoke to free it all with no real dramas.

I'd put the caps in the freezer earlier in the day which was both good and bad. They were a bit tight on the yoke but fitted nicely into the holes in the lobes of the UJ with a bit of persuasion from a Crab Clamp which was perfect for pressing them in. An ally block took care of the last knockings of the second cap to save pushing the first cap too far in.

And Bingo, job done…err, well no [emoji30] I realised I had put the new yoke 90 degrees out so the grease nipple pointed at the prop end lobe rather than into space. But using a 10mm spanner on the square I turned it enough to point where it was accessible. [emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

So…the theory, well it is doable but nowhere near as easily as the Shogun (1/2hr) and the knocks I was having to give to start with were making me think I might damage something in the diff but all is good.

A quick couple of knocks to seat the caps fully back away from the yoke and all's well.

Last edited:
where are the land cruiser amazon non runners up for sale! stupid question really but, its what im in the market for.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Put the cruiser in for its test today.. failed on wiper blades(silly... Grrr!!) and a flexi brake hose with a slit in the outer covering... Was interested to see how the handbrake performed after I rebuilt it last week. Well the rear disc brakes were applying 368kg of force on the brake test. The handbrake average was 352kg, with only a 4% imbalance. That ought to hold it on the hills for a while! Seriously impressed with it considering I have no way of testing adjustments only by 'feel'. Hose ordered from Milner and that should be that.

I regularly check out auto trader and eBay for amazons, I really want one but I'm not in a position to buy just yet, more so just out of interest! there seems to be alot of run down amazons for sale trying to be sold for strong money! i would go as far as to say dogs!

I regularly check out auto trader and eBay for amazons, I really want one but I'm not in a position to buy just yet, more so just out of interest! there seems to be alot of run down amazons for sale trying to be sold for strong money! i would go as far as to say dogs!
You're not wrong there. I also check the 100s in the various classifieds and it is a minefield out there if you don't know what to look for.

I think I may end up importing one from Japan, it's not the first time I've imported a car so I'm familiar with the process etc

Not maintenance but i have had a sh!t of a week accounting for every penny of the business but with that out of the way i finally got around to putting the battery back in and the bonnet back on , i have no bumper as yet but i got in and fired her up ........ and smiled

Last edited:
There's no sense in it at all, but every occasion I come home from being away (which is too often these days) the first thing I want to do is jump in the truck and turn the key.

I dont need need to go anywhere, just fire it up...:icon-biggrin:

There's no sense in it at all, but every occasion I come home from being away (which is too often these days) the first thing I want to do is jump in the truck and turn the key.

I dont need need to go anywhere, just fire it up...:icon-biggrin:

And I bet you give the bonnet a pat too. :icon-wink:

Swapped back to the 'little' wheels this morning, gave it a wash and emptied a load of the gear out of the boot. Need to un bolt bash plates at some point too as no point carrying the extra weight.
Re shaped the the inner wheel arch after modifying to clear the exhaust.

Need to un bolt bash plates at some point too as no point carrying the extra weight.

I used to think the same Gary until a certain 600 mile motorway run in mid winter without plates taught me how much salt they keep out .

Just returned from a timid test run and she howls like a banshee roars like a lion and rebels against timidness :dance: I now have a very cool boot as well ..... 5 litres worth of genuine toyota red cool to be exact as i hadn't put the lid on it :doh:

Back