Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Who is having an Engine Rebuild?

warrenpfo

Saw this on FB, not sure who it belongs too?

More here https://www.facebook.com/freedom4x4.co.uk/

13226655_856619537799907_2637903696571049512_n.jpg

It's Pumpy Petes of here, that was the one I brought from Mal Eade. Don't have a clue why it needs an engine rebuild though.
David

I thought it was Chris' Poor chap has forgotten how to use a spanner :)

tis mine, pistons were cracked. Only found after checking turning the money hose on everything else trying to stop a smoke issue.

Looking at the marks on the top of the pistons (and a random bit of metal in the sump for which we couldn't find a corresponding bit missing anywhere despite hours of searching) something happened in it's history. Searching on Mals post history he was asking about compression test pressures the summer before he sold it to David, around the time the timming belt was done... Hmmmm :eusa-think:. Pump had been turned waaaay up too, aparently this is not a good idea on 12 valves, EGTs go too far out of spec for the pistons.

Looks like one piston had ding marks from hitting a glow plug multiple times too, another had what looked like multiple small burnt holes 2mm wide/deep, thankfully the bores were fine. Very odd, one of lifes little mysteries.

I think we can now safely say it's been fully baselined, along with my bank balance :icon-lol:

Last edited:
Ouch not great at all, but look on the bright side no money left to waste on that LR sitting looking sad in the corner...

I spy Firey sitting there too?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Aye pump was reset back in November, one of the first things I got done, before getting the injectors tested, and the tappet shims done.

Running in is going fine, only 600 odd km so far, used a bit of mineral oil, about 1/8" down on the dipstick when I got back from Wales, I didn't take it laning, left it in the campsite and jumped in with someone else, discretion being the better part of valour!

No sign of smoke at all :dance: Still following your running in advice Frank, not been near a motorway yet. I've been getting behind the slowest trucks on duel carridgeways, dropping into 3rd to drop back 200 yrds then back to D creep up again and repeat.

Think we're off laning in Devon in a couple of weeks, if it's stopped using oil before we go I'll put synthetic in, if not I might put fresh mineral in with a new filter...decisions decisions

Back