Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Why do I bother ?

Grimbo

Country Flag
great_britain
The CV Joints on my 80 have got about 170K on them and are just starting to click a bit.

Searching forums and *bay found various joints from various unknown manufacturers .
I then found these SKF branded joints.....good but the picture doesn't show ABS rings.

I contacted the seller and told them in 2 separate messages they had to be for an ABS equipped 4.2 24v TD 80 series......I even gave them my reg number. |They confirmed they were suitable for my vehicle.

Despite this they arrived today with.....no ABS rings.
Quality looks good and I trust SKF ......just not the seller it seems.
Now need to convince the seller to pay for return and give me a refund....unless the ABS rings are separate and can be removed from my old CV's and fitted to these ?

These are them http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192050393924?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Life is never simple ;-)

Im pretty sure The rings can be removed and refitted. Are you sure they are SKF?

Well.....they are in SKF packaging with SKF packs of Grease and SKF actually on the CV joint....SKF Italy it seems.....If they are SKF they have the possibility of being half decent.
Awaiting reply from the seller who seems to be based in Lyon ....if the rings can be removed and refitted then it still may be OK.
I thought that I may have found a source of decent 80 series CV's

As I understand it, yes the abs rings are just pressed on & can be removed & refitted.
Not tried it myself though, got gen ones from amayama
Andy

Well.....they are in SKF packaging with SKF packs of Grease and SKF actually on the CV joint....SKF Italy it seems.....If they are SKF they have the possibility of being half decent.
Awaiting reply from the seller who seems to be based in Lyon ....if the rings can be removed and refitted then it still may be OK.
I thought that I may have found a source of decent 80 series CV's
Well, if there genuine SKF you certainly have.

It seems the French Muppets can't read ,
A quick search on the SKF site shows P/no VKJA5610 as ones for ABS equipped vehicles.
At £170 a pair these seemed like they were worth a go as the other Non OE ones are not that good .
Out of interest how much were genuine Andy ?
Seems my best option is now to get them to take the wrong ones back rather than risk damaging an ABS ring

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Mine were around £160 or so from Amayama then there's carriage and import etc on top. SKF ones should be a real coup!

If it's any help, I have a pair of Australian after market CVs which arrived with shorter splines before I knew any better. These have ABS reluctor rings on them. Maybe we can come to some arrangement. :whistle:

Thanks StarCruiser ,
I think I need to try and sort it out with the original seller at the moment , if needs be my CV's have ABS rings on them.
Was that £160 each ?
It's strange but the SKF site doesn't list the UK although several Motor Factors including GSF and Euro Car Parts claim to be SKF aftermarket dealers. Going to ring them tomorrow with the P/no and see how I get on.
It's not a massive problem as I can get friends in Austria or Belgium to source them for me , in fact the best mate in Austria works for Steyer and Case so should have good contacts.

Yes that was each. Thought it much better than north of £800!
Your route is best in the first place and it will be interesting to see what you turn up. Either way the conversation with SKF will be interesting to say the least. If it's not them they will be very keen to hear about them indeed.

The rings come off very easily indeed. I've swapped some before. They just tap off.

Chris......that's interesting , the only thing that could knacker me is if for some reason the part of the CV joint they fit on is different diameter on the SKF

Has anyone got a set of CV's they can measure the diameter of the part the ABS ring would fit over ?
These SKF ones are 59.06 mm on the flange where I would have to fit the ABS rings.
I can send them back but that will leave me trying to get another pair of ABS ones and checking with a UK based SKF stockist shows that SKF are not showing any stock .
Going to talk to SKF Belgium tomorrow to see if I can shed any light.
Can't understand why UK based SKF automotive stockists are not pushing the SKF CV Joint range , talking with a UK stockist as I think if they are quality then we should try and do a deal......I have no faith in Chinese pattern ones sold by various stockists under different brand names

I can't say for sure but the ones I have are very close to that. Without removing them I can be sure as they are flush and chamfered.

I can't say for sure but the ones I have are very close to that. Without removing them I can be sure as they are flush and chamfered.

Thanks .....I'm thinking I may take a chance and keep them, if nothing else they would fit an earlier 80 with the wider flanges added .

The two I have are for the earlier 80 with the narrow flanges. Make me an offer for them, drop the reluctor rings off and pop them on the SKFs and you've got both cruisers covered.
IMG_0474.JPG
IMG_0475.JPG

Back