Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Why do i not see more barn doors

Van Rhyn

Country Flag
south_africa
12D14803-0428-43D4-ABA0-57051167EE74.jpeg
I have a 1995 80 series in South Africa. I never se a model exactly like mine , all of them have the tailgate type and i have the barn doors.
NOW i have read it is very rare as it was a UN spec cruiser. I dont know how true this is and if i believe this but i cant find a proper answer to this and i have not seen barndoors except mine . Some form in South Africa also said they had a 80 meet with 400 cars and only 4 or so had this barn door setup. Any clarity on this ??

The 80 series was launched with rear barn doors but were replaced in ‘94 in most markets with a tailgate although NATO spec vehicles kept them. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a UK spec with barn doors.

The 80 series was launched with rear barn doors but were replaced in ‘94 in most markets with a tailgate although NATO spec vehicles kept them. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a UK spec with barn doors.
So my 1995 with barndoors is as they say NATO or United Nations spec? Very cool

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Clives is the only one ive ever seen but is also the only 1hz 80 ive seen, ours tend to be 1hdt or 1hdft im afraid i dont know the ins and outs of why other than different markets got slightly different spec.

https://www.landcruiserclub.net/community/threads/clives-hzj80.146320/#post-1420658
Yes all the UK spec are 1hd models as far as i know . Mine is also 1hz . But damn she runs good . I was afraid ot was going to bore me as im used to my v8 hilux with 260hp but if you take it for what it is im very happy with it.

the only thing possibly boring about an 80 is that it will just walk over everything where others can struggle!
Very true. The low range is potent as hell. We do lots of soft sand and that is where my hilux walks over everything with a weight of 1500kg and 0.3bar 33s and lockers front and back. Think my 80 will struggle in sand but it wil destroy rocks .

Very true. The low range is potent as hell. We do lots of soft sand and that is where my hilux walks over everything with a weight of 1500kg and 0.3bar 33s and lockers front and back. Think my 80 will struggle in sand but it wil destroy rocks .
All sounds more eventful than my weekly trip to the supermarket! I think more pictures are required :)

All sounds more eventful than my weekly trip to the supermarket! I think more pictures are required :)
Yet to get nice footage of the 80

Attachments

• 2D8AC06E-6107-42F8-9827-B2A72AE28E21.MP4
    4.2 MB · Views: 171
Welcome along. That’s a nice, clean Cruiser. Do you have third row bench seats in there as well?

Yet to get nice footage of the 80
i couldnt see anything but just discovered i've downloaded a video 7 times, sounds great and definitly nothing like that on the way to sainsburys!

There are quite a few 80 series here in Uganda with the Ambulance doors. I think most of them are 5 seaters with the 1HZ.

There are quite a few 80 series here in Uganda with the Ambulance doors. I think most of them are 5 seaters with the 1HZ.
Yes that is how mine is. When i read about the spec they said UN ambulance spec hahaha again dont know how true that is . But hey i like having something different

Well my ears have been burning, welcome aboard Van:thumbup:

Mines a 1995 Euro Spec HZJ80 GX originally one of 6 bought by the Canadian Consulate here in Bucharest.
It then fell into the care (or lack of it) of a Brit builder living here, and I bought it from him 13 years ago. It’s got 430k kms on the clock and sounds like a can of dried peas, but still keeps growling along. It’s my DD too :lol:

I like the ambulance doors, but I think the tailgate would suit campers and Overlanders better JMHO.

Mines registered as a 7 seater, but the seating configuration (3 rows) is identical to the 8 seater UK HDJ80s.

Mine only had seatbelts on the front row, so I’ve retro fitted 3 belts on the middle row.

It came without over-arches and steel bicycle wheels 215/85/16s on 6” wide rims... nightmare :?

No turbo though, naturally asthmatic :lol: suits me though, I’m old too so we’re good buddies me and the truck...

Just to add, it’s full time 4x4, sliding rear side windows, all 3 lockers, air con and an ashtray.

Back