Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Why own an old vehicle?

Wish that was an Hour long... It just made me dislike my 120 and this Country even more.. And now i want a Dog!......... I enjoyed That:thumbup:

Makes me want a 40. Except I’ve not got the money, room or time for one at the minute. So I’m just going to enjoy it as it is.

Makes me want to get my 40 done, or sell my D-Max now I have gone it to semi retired mode tbh I don't need a 30k truck anymore . Should I but a 80 or a 100 instead is my question

Makes me want to get my 40 done, or sell my D-Max now I have gone it to semi retired mode tbh I don't need a 30k truck anymore . Should I but a 80 or a 100 instead is my question
I got up this morning to find my 120s rear suspension sat on its own Arse.. And Thought here we F@@king go.. Give me Old School any day...

Wish that was an Hour long... It just made me dislike my 120 and this Country even more.. And now i want a Dog!......... I enjoyed That:thumbup:

Why not go the whole hog and get a Ford Model T ??
I'm sure 5 miles into a 150 mile journey the novelty would start to wear thin, wind noise, engine noise, wishing there was another gear etc etc.

I got up this morning to find my 120s rear suspension sat on its own Arse.. And Thought here we F@@king go.. Give me Old School any day...

Teach you to get an LC5 instead of a 4. :eusa-whistle:.
Let us know how the repair goes Higgy.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Have to agree with Andy; I'm also in love with the idea of owning a vintage vehicle. I'm sure 5 miles into a journey, the reality would wear thin. The Collie is already nearing that stage for me personally, so I'd rather go forwards, than back.

YMMV

I'm sure 5 miles into a 150 mile journey the novelty would start to wear thin, wind noise, engine noise, wishing there was another gear etc etc.
Yeah well, now I've got an all bells and whistles modern car :auto-nascar: it's making me miss the ol' 80 even more. :romance-heartbeati:

Teach you to get an LC5 instead of a 4. :eusa-whistle:.
Let us know how the repair goes Higgy.
It wont be getting Repaired Andy, Im gonna loose money weather i fix it or just part chop it for something else Its been sat down the Marina for 8hrs now, And its stayed up fine , Ive been underneath there's no leaks / creaking, Or anything amiss .. Might have just been a one off... It raises and lowers itself fine on the Button. So Dont Know.... Ignore it.. Sorry for the thread jack Rich..

Have to agree with Andy; I'm also in love with the idea of owning a vintage vehicle. I'm sure 5 miles into a journey, the reality would wear thin. The Collie is already nearing that stage for me personally, so I'd rather go forwards, than back.

YMMV
The thing you got to ask yourself Chadr.. Is what is, 'going forward'... The Trucks we love are getting old now and the ones we think we want are so Characterless and technologically complicated... They dont appeal (Not to me anyway).... Is the 200 series "Going Forward".. As Good as the 100 series is, Its old now...So all we have left is the 120/150.. Can Anyone think of the perfect going forward Truck...:think:

I've always thought the best cars and trucks were at the cross over point between great engineering that wasn't ruled out by company accountants and uncomplicated electrics that were useful and dependable. Roughly mid eighties to late nineties era.

I know they'll be examples of this being absolutely not the case but it seems to me that volume car companies aren't trying to better each other by producing quality, long-lasting vehicles but are just out-marketing the competition with short term extras.

I've always thought the best cars and trucks were at the cross over point between great engineering that wasn't ruled out by company accountants and uncomplicated electrics that were useful and dependable. Roughly mid eighties to late nineties era.

I know they'll be examples of this being absolutely not the case but it seems to me that volume car companies aren't trying to better each other by producing quality, long-lasting vehicles but are just out-marketing the competition with short term extras.

I guess it depends how far back you want to go, over the years I've easily done 100k in various 60's and I still have a soft spot for them but never found anyone who thought being a passenger in one was a great experience.
I run an 80 most days along with the 120 and find its just about right mix of simple and effective, it was after all a very expensive bit of kit when new. I think THL is about right, mid 80's till mid 90's most things, especially trucks were very durable and easy to mend but the new ones are better to drive and more fuel efficient but a nightmare to mend anything above basic.

I understand the charm of an old car.
What I don't understand is why all people freak out about electronics. Like all things, if done well they are fine. You mean absolutely every car made in the 80's or 60 was bullet proof ?
Like now they had good cars, and bad ones.
I haven't heard any horror stories about dying in the desert because of electronics. Now you can connect with a phone, delete errors etc. go straight to the issue.
Engines are more complicated and less reliable due to pollution rules not because of electronics.

The tools you need to do work on an 150 are the same as the 80, the only extra thing is a phone or a laptop.

And I also appreciate surviving an impact at 70 km /h and some comfort to be able do 1200 km / day without forming blood cloths, going nuts from noise or dehydrating from lack of AC .. so I get to spend more time to my target destination instead on some highway road.

right know the only thing that is worrying me about a new land cruiser or hilux is the ad blue system and dpf.

take a look at the link below... 2 of the most highest mileage 4x4 in uk are prado 120.
https://www.fwi.co.uk/machinery/4x4s/toyota-land-cruiser-hits-484000-miles

Reactions: THL
The desire for older ‘classics’ is purely down to 2 things IMO. Nostalgia and ease of maintenance/repair. Surely no one is seriously suggesting they’re better to drive. My first car was a Mk 2 Capri 3L GT and I still have a soft spot for them but they were crap to drive by modern standards and like most cars of the era they rusted out in no time. In the world of 4x4’s the 80 series, being on the cusp of major electronic intervention, has the appeal of decent mechanical build quality/toughness/ reliability without the added complexity and expense of diagnosing and repairing faults in complex electronics. While it’s true that much of the on board electronics found in modern vehicles has come about by the desire for greater performance (bhp per L) and ever tightening emmission laws and that, overall, the electronic systems are quite reliable, compared to older vehicles it’s just “ Something else to go wrong”. JMO

I would really like a new car but unless they remove all speed limits i could never enjoy driving one .

Maybe 30 years ago i borrowed a top of the range very expensive near new BMW and was for the first 5 minutes astonished and impressed at the power and the fact i couldn't even hear the engine nor feel the road , at 7 minutes i was bored and at 10 minutes i was wishing i took the digger instead .

Its about character and for me to "upgrade" it would be like swapping my dog for a laptop .

Im not going to disagree with what LeeLoo says, But every thing said comes at a cost.To make these vehicles safe, quiet, comfortable,fuel efficient, they have had to make a lot of expensive, Electronic based changes.. That are sometimes not repairable or worse, main dealer part Only.. Im more inclined to agree with Shayne.. When i went to live in Denmark I drove from Newark to Copenhagen in a beat up old Peugeot 504 pick up Loaded up to the bollox. Radio on, Me and the missus singing along, Not a care in the world, And i knew 100% it would get me there. And the only light that would come on the Dash was the one telling me i needed more Diesel.. Im sorrry but i dont need Air bags, VSC,ABS.ESC.DAC... I could go on.. Driving has got too serious. Wheres the fun

Boring to say, but one aspect of moderns is safety. Things like ABS (not many drivers are skilled in cadence braking), crumple zones, better tyres, suspension etc. etc. have meant accident avoidance or survival is much more likely these days. It might never happen, but it doesn't matter how safe or careful a driver you are, with todays level of traffic it just takes one half asleep chancer. Modern cars do tend to isolate the driver from the world outside, but wearing more clothes and leaving the window open a bit helps. :)

Back