Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Winch bumper, anyone?

GuyB

Country Flag
sweden
I ordered a Powerful 4x4 bumper for my 80 six months ago. It was delayed coming in from Australia, so I ended up getting something else. They just contacted me to say it's ready to ship on Monday - I got a discount because I bought a load of kit from them. I'm about to cancel, but if someone wants to take over the order I'm sure the discount will pass across. Anyone interested?

It's a decent, mid-range, Aussie-made bumper for under 6oo GBP plus shipping (about 120 GBP unless you're passing through Switzerland!). http://www.accessoires4x4.ch/en/pre...4-premium-steel-bullbar-toyota-80-series.html

I fancy one of their rear twin carrier bumpers but that is a nice piece of kit for someone at a really good price. Its just a pity we don't have wild kangaroos.

Yes, I bought that! It's good - but I'm struggling a bit with the swing out arms. They didn't fit up exactly as per the instructions and after a month of carrying my spare, one of them seems to have 'sagged' a bit. Nothing insurmountable, and half the price of the market leader.

Thats interesting to know. is it the bearing or the arm that's dropping. I think its a bit neater than the arb as well. Maybe a nylon packer will sort it out for you.

I'll need to take it apart to be sure (and that's well down the list!) but I suspect the point where the spindle joins the bumper succumbed to the rotational force.

There's a rubber noggin that's supposed to pick up the load when the arm is closed, but I didn't have it adjusted properly. Over extended, it jams against the bumper and you can't open the arm; under, and all that force is too much for the spindle. Not an elegant design compared to the ARB, which distributes the rotational force through both top and bottom of the bumper.

Also, there's not enough thread on the spindle to get the locking pin in, so I may need to re-tighten everything after a few hundred miles!

IMG_1159.JPG

Yes, I bought that! It's good - but I'm struggling a bit with the swing out arms. They didn't fit up exactly as per the instructions and after a month of carrying my spare, one of them seems to have 'sagged' a bit. Nothing insurmountable, and half the price of the market leader.

I fitted mine to my car a few days ago. I think I know what the reason for the sagging is, it is the washer which is between the lower bearing and the seal at the bottom. The washer is to thin and tends to bend under pressure or weight, this because the steem is not big enough and the bearing puts a lot of pressure on the outer part of the washer. It happend to me while I tightend the bearing the first time.

Regards

CA

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It hasn't stopped raining long enough for me to check, but it's a plausible theory. I might contact the manufacturer and see what they say.

looks a good price but don't forget there's VAT and duty to add to that price, inc on the shipping cost.

Edit:
Oh sorry just seen it's not coming direct from Australia.

yes it would be easy fro them to weld a compression tube for fitting the pivot through both surfaces. You get on to them and complain before I order one.

Back