Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Winch fitting

Compact3

I would like to fit a 12000 lb winch to my 1995 80 series. What complications will there be as it has an Allisport intercooler fitted. I would like it to be as discrete as possible. Th vehicle is standard apart from a 2' lift and the intercooler. Are there any recommendations as to the most suitable winch. I have looked at Winchmax/Goldfish and Superwinch. I would if possible have it without a bloody great winch bar if that is possible. I can make things.
John

The only type that would do what you want would be off of an import, so the winch is behind the orignal bumper.

Paul

if you look on ih8mud, there's a few folk have fitted them behind standard bumpers, with just the fairlead visible. looks pretty good.

I had no doubt that you were not speaking with a forked tongue. I need this winch to assist the odd Land Rover in the Snowdonia Forest tracks. Is there an opinion on the Winchmax winches or is it a case you get what you pay for.

I have the Winchmax one it is the same as the TDS one. Works fine. But when I get stuck I get stuck!!

Paul

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for all the info. The difficult bit is the support plate that it will sit on behind the original bumper the rest is pretty basic I think. I don't know whether David Bowyer has something similar in stock without resorting to a bar the size of Dover
John :?:

I modified the Bowyer winch plate to fit Muxley, my 80. Here's a pic from my ROTW thread:

160920101068.jpg

But I don't know how that would fit behind a standard bumper - I would like to try & get it to fit but I ain't got a standard bumper :ugeek:

Lerrus know how you get on :cool:

Cheers

I have an OEM PTO winch... it fits behind the standard bumper... and is the same height (i.e. base level with bottom of chassis rails) as per Gav's picture above...

Mine hides away behind the rally plate (folds up when winch is used).
SDC12429.jpg

I'll dig out some more pics if its useful....

J

Thanks Justin
Any pics would be helpful. My only minor problem is the Allisport intercooler, the base of which is just below the rad, and might be a snag depending on the type and shape of winch.
John M

Compact3 said:
Hi Gav thanks for the pics Same colour as mine but I just have the GS. You probably have seen the link before but it does cover using the original bumper.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/ ... winch.html

John
N Wales
I hadn't seen that thread TBH - looks good tucked behind the OEM bumper... :think:

Whereabouts in N Wales are you? Can't be too far from me on the Wirral - let me know if you need any help or want to see of the Goldfish winch fits :cool:

Cheers

Very neat Justin, very neat indeed.
I see a project coming on... :thumbup:

RIMG0005.jpg

Just tidied your link up John - looks good buddy :cool:

Who's front bumper is that?

Cheers

Hi Gav
Some more pics and modifications to follow when I have mastered photobucket. The winch bar is from David Bowyer.

John

next............maybe worth putting the solenoid etc under the bonnet!!

Like the bumper!

Andy

They were working earlier, I have not removed them. Who might have done? Where have they gone? I know nothing.

Back