Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Winch hand me down - repairable or ?

Matt Wright

Garage
Country Flag
south_africa
Hi guys

A buddy of mine was given an old winch which is missing the top cross beam. Its snapped off and broken the corners where it screws in so can't be replaced

Is it a death trap without the guide or can it be used? Its for emergency recoveries but safety is still a key concern

Any thoughts..

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363791893.033943.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363791915.445348.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363791981.499220.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363792008.253722.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363792008.253722.jpg

Matt, it's not a guide. It's a tie bar. Essentially it stops the two halves going off in different directions. I had one break there and the casting was available - about £100 IIRC. So I repaired it. Yours look a bit further gone than mine. But there are possibilities. Depends how well it runs, it does look like a dog to be fair. Not especially unsafe as such, because your feet are still bolted down to the base.

Chris

Thanks Chris. I'll pass on the news to him
As you said, its s bit of a dog! One has to be very generous to give away a Warn!
He's a bargain hunting man of many resources so lets see what he comes up with ;)
I've got a 4 day long weekend starting now. Waiting for my new full stainless 3" exhaust to be fitted. Materials and labour all for £120!! :) very happy with it so far....

Agree with Chris, it's a bit like my Superwinch, had the bars remade in stainless cos the standards were chrome steel with no chrome, if that makes sense. My castings are ok though.

Both sides will be anchored and the one bar is doing its job, so it should be ok.

I want to get another winch for the back, but mounted on a square bar to lock into the 40mm ARB bumper receiver. Has anyone seen or made a removable rear winch set-up? I'd also need a heavy power terminal to plug/connect to. I'm not sure that the receiver would be strong enough, maybe the pin retainer would shear, any ideas folks?

What - like this Clive?

IMGP3700.jpg
IMGP3701.jpg
Image028.jpg
Image032.jpg

Last edited:
Oooooo! Nice, in a word, yes!

The tray looks simpler than I imagined... I presume it's all strong enough. Looks very neat indeed Chris.

What about the main cable connectors, do you spanner them on/off or is there a plug/socket set up? I imagine the pull on the electrics too heavy for a plug-in.

Like that Chris, I've got some ideas now... Thanks!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sorry Chris, I've looked a bit closer now and see your cable plug with the grey handle thingy. Looks the business.

Thinks there might be a new little project on the horizon when I get my ARB bumper back from refurb...

It's plenty strong enough. Remember you will never be able to pull perfectly straight so any yaw in the slide in section effectively helps to lock the assembly together. But I did had a 12 mm pin in there. The shear is so small - say .75 mm per side, you'd really struggle to cut that. It' man enough.

I still have the tray but it's on 50mm IIRC.

Chris

Don't know when exactly, but I'm gonna give that set-up a go. Thanks a lot for the tips Chris.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back