Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Winch Install on an 80

Gav Peter

Country Flag
england
Mornin'

I have started installing my winch this weekend - which battery should I hook it in to or does it not really matter?

Muchos gracias

i believe main battery is where you should be at. that's where the factory winches are connected to.

Main battery is the left one as your looking from the front of the truck mate. Upload some pics when you have done it mate :thumbup: karl

Cheers gents - willdo Karl.

Man, I'm so sh!t with lectrik stuff...

Yep, driver side battery only. Don't connect anything to the other one. It's not that the World will end or anything, it's just that connecting to the main battery is the way to do it. It then gets a direct feed off the alternator when the engine is running.

C

plus as I found out, the winch solenoid will get a shot of 24V during starting that it won't like if you connect to the right hand side battery -you get some serious solenoid chatter from it.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for the tip Andy. As part of the kit I got from Goodwinch, there is an isolation switch. I'm mounting this under the bonnet in the battery shroud so as long as I run with that switched off during everyday use, this should prevent that 'chattering' non?

Yes it would however for double sure connect it to the LHS battery. the factory winch has a solenoid close to this as well as a second solenoid mounted to the winch.

Now Gav, you DO know what you are doing with all those wires - don't you?

Cough.

C

Chris said:
Now Gav, you DO know what you are doing with all those wires - don't you?
:obscene-birdiedoublegreen:
ROTFLMFAO!!!

Not a feckin clue as you well know!!! :clap:

Hoping that I might have sommat sorted by the weekend though!!! Thanks for the mercy call ;)

Well, I 'd hate for you to get it all installed and then find, oh I dunno, like you'd a wire left over of something daft. Now that would be embarrassing.
Doubt it could happen though. With there only being two wires to start with. :whistle:

C

Oh stoppit now & save it for the next camp fire meanderings... :silent:

Gav Peter said:
Man, I'm so sh!t with lectrik stuff...
I did wonder why I had so many cabley bits in the kit... :oops:

Gotta say that when I installed my factory winch there wa an awful lot of try it and see as I din't have the wiring diagram or the second Solenoid the factory one will work fine without the send solenoid - I think it was just typical Toyota belt and braces stuff but working out on faded and old wires which one was the ignition trigger wire was a bit of a faff. Plus then the trick with the batteries left me somewhat scratching my head. Thought I had a duff starter it made so much noise when I started it - didn't suss that it was Solenoid chatter for a while.

I've wired my winch without an isolator in the circuit, but have the solenoid send/switch pos on the accessory circuit. Do I need and isolate/stop switch? If so where would I get a suitable 400amp continuous type switch (Clearly it doesn't need to switch that current, just flow it)

main advantage of the isolator is as a failsafe if your solenoids fail in the on position during use, which can happen.

Jon Wildsmith said:
main advantage of the isolator is as a failsafe if your solenoids fail in the on position during use, which can happen.
I second that, Jon. I would advise that all winches should have an isolator installed for that very reason, most winch kits are usually supplied with an isolator, but if not, all winch retailers should be able to supply them, don't worry their not expensive.

A lot of the standard winch solenoids supplied with the winches tend to gradually deteriorate overtime, especially if you tend to take them swimming now and then ;) , they can start to stick, usually they stick 'on' continuing to winch 'in' when you wanted it to stop. I know, its happened to me and I was very pleased the isolator was close to hand. :thumbup: It would not have ended well, if the isolator hadn't been there.

Winches are a great bit of kit to get you out of a jam, but they are very dangerous and should be treated with the utmost of respect, (like the high lift jack), always think safety. Take the time to install them correctly, buy the proper winch accessories, learn how to use them safely and you'll be laughing. I've seen so many people do so many dangerous things with winches that, have resulted in damage to kit, cars and serious injury to themselves or others. Half the time they don't realize that their doing anything wrong until its too late, its not because their stupid, its just because they don't know any different.

Installing the winch is just the start, much like buying the 4x4, now you have the fun of finding out the best way to use it, to get full advantage and your moneys worth from it.

Enjoy,

Scott.

To really be safe and secure, dump the standard solenoid and get a decent Albright one and emergency cutout switch.

Already replaced the oe solenoids for sealed one. I'll get stop type switch. The key with pull cable as used on rally cars will probably be the way ahead as I don't want to have the push off type on show all the time. You're all correct, it would be sensible and give piece of mind.

Oi Chris, I've only gone & got it working!!!

By gum, they are noisy clunky chaps aren't they???

Don't worry, it'll ride up with wear.

Must have been that spare wire then eh, Gav. I said it was best to just bolt it somewhere close to stop it flapping around. Handy having that extra bolt on the motor casing then. My original TDS was sweet, but this one is a bit noisy, but already I can tell that it's easing off. Yours a bit noisy too is it? The brake on mine was binding a little which makes it 'squawk' a bit. You can adjust the brake stand off actually. But most (electric) winches are a bit noisy. There are a lot of planetary gears in there. I make sure that I regularly stick mine in freespool and run it either was for a few mins each month to keep it free. Amy probs, just get straight back to Goodwinch, they are good lads.

Chris

Back