Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Winch installation

fbnss

Supporter
Country Flag
england
So, i bought a goodwinch 12 c with a bow 2 motor from the stafford show a few weeks ago (no vat) and at the weekend @Rosy came round to help fit it. After much faffing about trying to remove my winch bumper Rosy came up with the idea of removing the grill and lights to gain access. We had to trim out the metal between the indicators. Sit the winch up on a couple of washers for the larger motor to clear the chassis rails which ment i had to source some slightly longer bolts and remove the solenoid box, but it is now securely in place.
20190317_131748.jpg
20190317_135354.jpg
I have the original solenoid box and another from here
https://www.winch-it.com/product/wi...with-remotes-500amp-solenoid-plus-all-cables/
I cant find a happy place for either. Is it just a case of finding somewhere under the bonnet and extending the cables? Plus a cut off switch.
20190319_174712.jpg

See if I can find a pic Nick, I mounted mine on the bumper itself. Sounds odd but it's been fine. Hang on.

Thanks Chris, i wasn't sure about blocking the radiator off. I do have a place on the bumper to attach the fair lead although the screws have rusted in place and sheared off as i was undoing them.

My solenoid is mounted between the headlamp and battery on passenger side, I made a bracket and bolted it to the slam panel. Slotted in the gap nicely then extended the wires.

I run the 9.5 rd winch with a bow 2 motor, pulls very well!

Can just see the cables in front of the battery, have a remote and the wander lead plug is mounted to the A bar.

20190320_192015.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
My solenoid is mounted between the headlamp and battery on passenger side, I made a bracket and bolted it to the slam panel. Slotted in the gap nicely then extended the wires.

I run the 9.5 rd winch with a bow 2 motor, pulls very well!
This is the location I have favoured which then requires a skinny box or terminal covers. It why I don’t favour kits personally ‘cos I like to do my own thing, because I can. :icon-biggrin:

This is the location I have favoured which then requires a skinny box or terminal covers. It why I don’t favour kits personally ‘cos I like to do my own thing, because I can. :icon-biggrin:
Yes but some of us.... are less capable! To be honest ive not done my research like I normally do, I measured that the winch would fit knowing there wasnt room for the solenoid but didnt go much further than that. Ps. that was your gull wing money, now go make some more! :)

Is yours 12v start Gary?

Nick, you will of course be using the right hand, driver’s side battery for connection.
Yes, aint nothing connected to the other mr Rich.

Yes but some of us.... are less capable! Ps. that was your gull wing money, now go make some more! :)
It’s more about having the right tools Nick. I totally get that others would prefer the kit.

On the gullwing front I’m a bit tied up at the minute. In the middle of rewiring a small engineering shop with various other jobs to fit in but now got my 92yr old mum in Hospital with a broken pelvis. Bit of a roller coaster at the minute. I’ll get round to it don’t worry.

Is yours 12v start Gary?

Yes 12v, should only have 1 battery too.

My washer bottle should be on the driver's side where there's now a battery (it's now on the passenger side bulkhead)

Solenoid fits nicely and as can see in the pic terminal covers :icon-wink:
Kill switch is the other side of the battery box.

I know it's not the same vehicle but both on the FJ and on my 70 I mounted the solenoids in waterproof junction boxes next to the battery with an adjacent isolator and extended the cables to the winch motor.
IMG_4118.jpeg
IMG_6546.jpeg
IMG_4118.jpeg
IMG_6546.jpeg

It’s more about having the right tools Nick. I totally get that others would prefer the kit.

On the gullwing front I’m a bit tied up at the minute. In the middle of rewiring a small engineering shop with various other jobs to fit in but now got my 92yr old mum in Hospital with a broken pelvis. Bit of a roller coaster at the minute. I’ll get round to it don’t worry.
Sorry to hear that, but you need to make them before my boss realises how much bonus he keeps giving me :)

Thanks... would have been neater if I hadn't found out AFTER I had the mount plate made and mounted it all up in the box that the solenoid couldn't be mounted vertically!!

Ahh that's in case the return springs fail on the contacts I believe.

Back