Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Window motor cross compatibility

Nick Shepherd

While I was having a clean up of my driver's window motor the other day it occurred to me that unscrewing the motor from the gearbox might mean you could swap out the rear ones to the front if you got a motor problem. Can anyone confirm that the are the same (just the motor part, I know the full unit won't swap over)?

It was so traumatic getting the regulator/motor unit out that I really don't fancy doing it again just to check :D

pwmotorhdj81.jpg

I'm talking about taking the slimmer rectangular part off the larger rounder part at the halfway point in this photo.

I know the brushes are in the upper section and they are the likeliest to go, I suppose. Or the gears, also in the upper part, so it is probably a pretty fruitless exercise but I'm like that when I get an idea :D

Hi Nick I've had a load of Toyota Corolla window motors in a box for ages, whilst the gearboxes look different the actual motors
look the same.
Not had chance to investigate yet for commonality.
Chris S.

iirc the passenger rear motor will fit in the drivers door . And drivers rear motor will fit in passenger door

Good info guys, thanks. Might be worth having a look at the scrappy for Corrolas, finding an 80 is like looking for a Bugatti.

Chaps this is my progress so far, both Corolla motors in the pics and suspect very slightly shorter motors??
Now need to pull an 80 motor to bits when I've found a spare one.
PicsLC005.jpg

PicsLC006.jpg

They are very nicely made aren't they.
Chris S.

The motor and shaft certainly look to be the same but the end of the housing is very slightly different to the one on my 80 at least.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back