Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

window tinting -first attempt

ok bat21 sorry about that :oops: - thought you were taking the p!$$ there. were in fact three beams 6.5 meters long and delivering them was a laugh - reversing round a bend & up a muddy track

Jon Wildsmith said:
The standard film holds a shatered window together pretty well :roll:
would it stop an intruder?

depends how determined they are I guess Rob and I'm not going to test that out for you on my truck at the moment :lol: On my old 80 I smacked the drivers side 3rd row window on a big branch hard enough to shatter the glass and rip the whole frame out but all the glass stayed in the frame and was still quite solid.

Rob said:
Jon Wildsmith said:
The standard film holds a shatered window together pretty well :roll:
would it stop an intruder?
Doubtful Rob, yes the film certainly holds the toughened glass together once it is shattered but, it wouldn't stop a tea leaf breaking in.

A word of warning, when i first got my 80 it had tints, i nearly killed a cyclist one night as i pulled out of a junction simply because i could not see him in the dark, my tints came off next morning & i wouldn't drive anything with tints at night.

joinerman said:
A word of warning, when i first got my 80 it had tints, i nearly killed a cyclist one night as i pulled out of a junction simply because i could not see him in the dark, my tints came off next morning & i wouldn't drive anything with tints at night.
Totally agree if you have front or front side window tints but, rears and rear sides are fine

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
MUX came with the tinted windows - it did take a while to get used to them...

goodoldboy said:
go for it paul - i was quoted €200 - the film cost me €15 - ecky´s tip about following the demister wires is spot on

I had my 100 series done in Nov "09 for £190 + a further £60 for the two front doors done with 'anti smash & grab' film. This all comes with a life time guarantee as long as the vehicle is in my name. ( recommend them, http://websites.uk-plc.net/SC_Autostyle_Ltd/ )
It is amazing how much cooler it is so far and we haven't had a real hot day yet. Driving at night takes the glare out of the rearview mirror too. :geek:

Zimbo-Mukiwa said:
goodoldboy said:
go for it paul - i was quoted €200 - the film cost me €15 - ecky´s tip about following the demister wires is spot on

I had my 100 series done in Nov "09 for £190 + a further £60 for the two front doors done with 'anti smash & grab' film. This all comes with a life time guarantee as long as the vehicle is in my name. ( recommend them, http://websites.uk-plc.net/SC_Autostyle_Ltd/ )
It is amazing how much cooler it is so far and we haven't had a real hot day yet. Driving at night takes the glare out of the rearview mirror too. :geek:

Welcome to the site Zimbo. Only down the road from me, I may check them out soon as all my tints are damaged now.

Re: window tinting -very easy

Thanks African Drifter - trying it this weekend as I've accumulated too many parts / bits that haven't been fitted yet so to avoid prying London eyes I'm giving this a bash for £12..
Will see how it goes before spending the £200 which I'm sure is stronger, but there are many other things that still need to be bought and the pocket is hurting!

African Drifter said:
Hi Guys!

Window tinting... easy as pie!
The fastest and easiest way to pop it on the screen/window... is the same way you fit body line stickers.
Take a clean/new plastic bucket, fill half way with clean fresh water, add a tad of Fairy liquid, stir lightly, I mean lightly guys... (don't want a foam bucket).
and you are about ready. Provide a clean cloth, soft sponge and a soft line plastic or better rubber scraper (as you would use for wall paper hanging).
And bobs your uncle you are ready to roll. Cut your tint approximately an inch or so larger than the window you would like to cover. Make sure your window is
sparkling clean, dip the sponge in the bucket, wet the window and the tint, place the tint on the window and
gently stroke the tint starting from the middle working towards up and down and then from side to side with your scraper. The soapy water enables you to move/shift the tint if needed.
When all is in place and there's no little air bubbles left you may wipe it all off with your clean cloth. If you want to prevent shrinkage at a later stage it is recommended on some tints
to lightly warm it up and then give it a good rub down before trimming the edges. (the wife's hairdryer will do just fine). don't overheat for bubbles may occur.

Have done many over the years and found this the easiest and cheapest way to do... for £15 worth the try... would not pay £200 for labour!!

Have fun

African Drifter

My 'new' rear door came from an LC3, so no tint - I was looking at the original door and it seems the LC5 has just got plastic tint film on it, and not factory-tinted glass - so I'll be putting that on instead of removing the glass from the rear door and re-fitting it in the replacement door ... :whistle:

Oh yes - kanjani, Mukiwa - tikukwazisei, muribho here?!!

Hi there Africaaboveandbelow!

Sorry for the late reply, been abroad for a while. Please let me know how it went with the window tint.

Hope you had fun.
;)

African Drifter

Back