Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Window tints

Tinted a 120 using kits (uncut) from Halfords. Side windows are an absolute doddle, and you will find plenty of you tube videos which demonstrate the knack. The rear door is another matter entirely - because it is curved. I really couldn't get the knack of this, and ended up with loads of untidy cuts - although the end result still worked. I'll have to do more reading up before I try another curved surface...

Hi Andrew,

So can you give me any hints how to do the back door window?
I guess because it is concave, makes it such that the film fits well in the middle, but the excess creases when getting to the edges?

Gra.

Graham said:
Hi Andrew,

So can you give me any hints how to do the back door window?
I guess because it is concave, makes it such that the film fits well in the middle, but the excess creases when getting to the edges?

Gra.
That's exactly what happens, and I wish I could give you some pointers. I ended up making a cut from the central area where the crease started - out to the edge of the window. The two sections then overlapped, and I made a further cut through both layers. Removing the two pieces of surplus film meant that the remaining film formed a butt joint. Far from ideal, but it made my trip to Western Sahara far more bearable. Sorry that I can't be of more help... Hopefully someone can post on here the correct way to do it...

Earlier on in the year I was quoted £180 for all the windows except the driver, front passenger and windscreen. And that was some one else doing it.
Guess I'll be getting a kit and trying it myself.
Can passengers still see out ok of the 5% tint?

Phil

Hi Phil,

the 5% tint.

In my mind, they have the whole "tinting" scale the wrong way round, any way. .. .

5% is almost black from the outside, as it only allows 5% light through, from the outside.
If it was my idea, I would have said "a 5% tint" is lightly tinted, a 20% tint, is more tinted, a 95% tint is almost black, any way.

If you look from the outside to inside, then it's very difficult, there must be a "1 way effect in the film"
However sitting in the car, and looking inside to outside, that, to me is perfectly clear.
It will always be debatable, as it is known, that the older a person gets, then the less light their eyes let in, or rather, their eyes become less sensitive to light. ~~ --- ~~ fact of growing old.
Some peoples eyes deteriorate gradually, some peoples eyes stay the same for a while, then deteriorate.

I guess the people who say, "They don't like tints" may be the ones who's eyes are deteriorating with their age. ?

Any way, back to the question, for me, the 5% I have, the "looking out" is still quite OK, and
acceptable for now,

Mine are just scratched inside from all the stuff I have recently been carting around in it.
I wouldn't be without the tints.
[attachment=0:12fawmuo]Land Cruiser (9).jpg[/attachment:12fawmuo]

Gra.

Attachments

• Land Cruiser (9).jpg
    Land Cruiser (9).jpg
    154 KB · Views: 276
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Tint film can be a bit fiddly to fit, especially if you are working outside with wind and dust.

This time round I paid someone to do it for me - limo black or 5% - £160 for rear doors, side windows and back window. Three hours work - it would have taken me longer. The work was done in a closed workshop and I am happy with the result.

The work was done by Ultimate Tinting. They have branches round the country. http://www.ultimatetinting.co.uk/index.asp

Incidentally, the pro's heat shrink the corners to make the film fit the curved surfaces

Tints imho are ******g dangerous, when i got my 80 they were already done, one winter night i was pulling out of a junction & nearly killed a cyclist because i simply couldn't see him, he had lights but not very good ones, next day mine were scraped off & i would NEVER drive another car with tints.

joinerman said:
Tints imho are ******g dangerous, when i got my 80 they were already done, one winter night i was pulling out of a junction & nearly killed a cyclist because i simply couldn't see him, he had lights but not very good ones, next day mine were scraped off & i would NEVER drive another car with tints.
Good point, well made, but travelling across north Africa without any tint has real drawbacks.... Driving a car with tinted windows is no different to driving a van, and you are safe if you treat it in the same way. The problem that you experienced is exactly why the law does not not permit tints (over 30%) on windscreens or front side windows.

joinerman said:
Hi joinerman,

We don't have to blame tints for accidentally pulling out in front of some one.
Who has never almost had the foot of the clutch, and almost pulled out in front of some one in bright day light.?
Not wishing to say your eyes may be deteriorating, but as we get older, our eyes also let in less light.
Some thing glasses can't fix.
I guess tints are not for you then, but that's alright, because you have decided, that with tints, you can't see good enough, no problem there.

Gra.

Hi Gra

I want to do mine as well. Does yours have 5% tints on in that pic you posted earlier?

Cheers
James

james-c said:
Hi Gra

I want to do mine as well. Does yours have 5% tints on in that pic you posted earlier?

Cheers
James
Hi James

yes, they are all 5% except passenger and driver, and of course, windscreen.
The passenger and drivers.
The front passenger and front driver I will do 35%, or maybe 50%, as the 120 windows do already have a very light smoke tint.

Gra.

I had 5% limo black on a previous Cruiser and I would not do it again. At night I found it extremely difficult to see out of. During the day it never gave me a problem, but at off set junctions looking through passenger window or trying to reverse, flippin' impossible. Didn't like it at all.

Next lot will be lighter.

Chris

I'm thinking of doing the rear window and the 2 side windows right at the back with 20% and then the second row passenger windows 35% or 40%. This should be ok - I like to see whats going on around me, especially at night.

joinerman said:
nearly killed a cyclist because i simply couldn't see him, he had lights but not very good ones

That's a bloody good reason for the cyclist to get proper lights. He could be killed by a car who did not see him. A bit bored of them always crying about being killed. I would have a few dead ones under my belt if I had not take evasive action and got out of their way :twisted:

Crispin said:
joinerman said:
nearly killed a cyclist because i simply couldn't see him, he had lights but not very good ones

That's a bloody good reason for the cyclist to get proper lights. He could be killed by a car who did not see him. A bit bored of them always crying about being killed. I would have a few dead ones under my belt if I had not take evasive action and got out of their way :twisted:

They can be right selfish arrogant tossers, I'm out in the country and the roads aren't wide so they think its ok to cycle 3 abreast, don't mind tractors and locals holding up traffic but not slow moving wakners.
Apologies for the rant.

Phil

Blimey! you lot are starting to sound like ramblers!!!! ;)

ok - my LC is tinted (to a bit darker level to the picture above and not on the front side windows or windshield) for the following reasons:
Security - makes it hard to see what you have in the back of the truck or if your in a rough area, how many people are in the truck at a glance
Comfort - combined with a sunshield in the windshield keeps the truck a lot cooler when parked up in the sun as well as reducing the glare of the sun shining in for passengers when you are driving.

I had the same problem with reversing at night as mentioned above and fitted 50W reverse bulbs - now I can see better than I could before I had the tints when reversing.

So, in Africa I would always have it done and probably even in the UK.

Just my two penny's worth

Regards
Mark

Last edited:
Back