Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Windows slow and jamming

VX on the bay

Country Flag
ireland
All the automatic door windows on '94 80 series are slow or jamming.
Replaced the Driver Side motor still slow n' stiff (thats me and now the windows), how does one clean the guides. Seems like there is grit and stuff hampering the movement up/down on all doors.
Thank you in advance for any help here.

Many on here have replaced the window surround rubbers and swear there's a marked improvement.

However, others have done the same and there's not much improvement.

Recently, there's been some aftermarket actuators available on e-Bay and other outlets, I have a pair for the front doors in my shed ready to fit, when I get around to it. However, they don't seem to be available for the back doors.

These trucks are getting on in years now (yours is 22) so wear in the linkages seems to be the order and this means a less than accurate tracking path for the mechanism, causing slowness. The motors seem to keep going, but a replacement actuator (which is the whole mech including motor) will probably be your best bet.

Toyota (Mr T) window rubbers are not cheap, but others will add their pennyworth I guess ....

Rubbers help to start with as the old ones go hard as iron. Amayama.com is far cheaper than MrT for genuine parts. Then I think Chris on here did a write up about Milners window mechanisms that he said cured the problem. My next buy I think as my 2yr old rubbers are now getting slow.

Rubbers help to start with as the old ones go hard as iron. Amayama.com is far cheaper than MrT for genuine parts. Then I think Chris on here did a write up about Milners window mechanisms that he said cured the problem. My next buy I think as my 2yr old rubbers are now getting slow.

It's the Milners' ones I have in my shed Rich. One day ill get round to it ..... :lol:

I had a can of Wurth 2040 given me, sprayed a few window channels with it, worked wonders. Described as Lubricant and Water Displacer with PTFE. I wouldn't recommend WD40, too sticky.

Strangely, mine work quite quickly in the dry, but when it's raining, they grind to a halt half way and need a pull/push both directions.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Defo a clean and lube with a silicone spray grease to the rubbers should get things moving again.
Silicone grease should not cause the rubbers to swell as some other lubricates might, dont forget to give the whole mechanism a grease up too.
Lastly may be worth checking the voltage at the motor may have a slight drop due to wiring connectors etc,.

I've done all that Tip. Been there on all fronts and even added some heavy wiring in parallel which did make a slight difference but not enough. Tried Ballistol as the nice chap that sells it said to on his Youtoob vid. Removed and cleaned out all the crud. Everything helps a bit, but as soon as it gets cold, old hard rubbers just clamp tight and add in some rain as Clive says and they just grind to a halt. The only thing I've seen as being a revelation past the honeymoon period is Chris's Milners window mechanisms. On top of new rubbers that is, which on their own initially are a massive improvement.

+1 for new rubbers.
Got them from Amayama.com as well.

Only did the drivers side. Which was fine till the a/c packed in...

While I'm in Qatar, I'm considering a shopping spree of genuine Mr T parts to sneak back into Romania.

Front window runner rubbers look to be high on the list to match the new mechs waiting to go in. I wonder if they'll have rears in stock as well?

Now.... what's next to go on the list.... :think:

Of course Windows is slow, and jamming, that's what you get when the whole world supports a monopoly. Consider going Linux.:thumbup:

PS
That's what I thought you were on about....
- strange that he put it in 80-series :think:
- helped to actually read the post tho' :crazy:

Of course Windows is slow, and jamming, that's what you get when the whole world supports a monopoly. Consider going Linux.:thumbup:

PS
That's what I thought you were on about....
- strange that he put it in 80-series :think:
- helped to actually read the post tho' :crazy:

:lol: "....not responding..." :lol:

My "new" truck has a new drivers side window rubber that is different to the others its soft & siliconey the others are all rock hard, guess which one works like new. Wondering if Mr T's ones are the siliconey ones? Anybody fitted some?

I think they would all have been soft and siliconey from new , all reports are they go hard with age...

(if I'm allowed to say that on a public forum) :shifty:

My "new" truck has a new drivers side window rubber that is different to the others its soft & siliconey the others are all rock hard, guess which one works like new. Wondering if Mr T's ones are the siliconey ones? Anybody fitted some?
Yep. You can hold the old ones out horizontal and hang your hat on the end. The new ones are as limp as a three week old lettuce.

Last edited:
I have a full set arriving from Dubai tomorrow. I'll fit them to the secret truck immediately and report back. Never made much of a difference in the past but then that's because the motors were stuffed. Good motors and new rubbers must be like new, surely.

So, whilst in Qatar, I took a trip to the Toyota Main Dealer Parts Department and asked for new window seals.

Then sat waiting...

IMG_8789.JPG

Yippee, they had them in stock, QR 631 the lot, all 4 windows! :text-woo:

That's £139. :dance:

I hope they've given me the right ones :oops:

Part nos. 68151 60010 front and 68142 60011 rear.

When I left the building, what should drive past me, but this...

IMG_8790.JPG

IMG_8791.JPG

IMG_8792.JPG

It was a bit of an old workhorse, but interesting nevertheless to see one...

Back