Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Windows XP / IE8 problem

Ian Rubie

Country Flag
uk
I am having a really annoying PC problem.

Windows XP SP3 with IE8 all was working fine. For no apparent reason IE8 has lost access to the internet. You open the application and all it says is connecting. It never actually manages it.

Outlook Express is working fine, if I install Firefox and Chrome they work fine. I have removed IE8 and gone back to IE6, that works fine. Tried installing IE7 - same result as IE8.

Googling suggests doing a reset from within IE8 - no joy. I have also tried starting IE8 with no add-ons - no joy. I have also tried a winsock and TCP/IP fix I found - no joy.

PC scans clean with MS security essentials and SuperAntiSpyware.

I don't really want to do a re-install, does anyone have any other suggestions?

Cheers

Ian

IE is crap anyway ..... firefox is a more stable browser ...think most people i know use it

i use IE9 ... and although it's the very latest version it's still not as stable as FF

I agree with Red Oktober I exclusively use the latest Firefox with no problem at all and the Add-ons are great.

yep firefox all the way

not only does IE suck but so does the rest of the windows operating system. Windows 7 has improved but still.. blurghhhh

not very helpful though sorry

have you tried IE 9? first impressions are its a little toss but if it works then your at the latest version and you can forget 8 ever existed

Jonnie

I think IE9 is only available for Vista and Windows 7. I could be wrong.

Ian Rubie said:
I am having a really annoying PC problem.

Windows XP SP3 with IE8 all was working fine. For no apparent reason IE8 has lost access to the internet. You open the application and all it says is connecting. It never actually manages it.

Outlook Express is working fine, if I install Firefox and Chrome they work fine. I have removed IE8 and gone back to IE6, that works fine. Tried installing IE7 - same result as IE8.

Googling suggests doing a reset from within IE8 - no joy. I have also tried starting IE8 with no add-ons - no joy. I have also tried a winsock and TCP/IP fix I found - no joy.

PC scans clean with MS security essentials and SuperAntiSpyware.

I don't really want to do a re-install, does anyone have any other suggestions?

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian

Have you tried Google Chrome ?

well worth a try !

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Steve Wright said:
Hi Ian

Have you tried Google Chrome ?

well worth a try !

I recently started using Chrome. I love that the address bar is also the internet search input. Adding bookmarks from a folder can be a bit fiddly compared to FF though.

Marius De Kock said:
I agree with Red Oktober I exclusively use the latest Firefox with no problem at all and the Add-ons are great.
Latest Fire Fox, and just tick the box for automatic FF updates.

I haven't used IE for years, save for one website that I need frequent now and the.
Apart from that, FF wins every time.

G.

Thanks for the replies. Have abandoned IE and gone for Firefox.

Ian

Back