Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Winter - It's Official

clivehorridge

Supporter
Guru
Garage
Country Flag
romania
Well, we had a bit of a wild storm last night, with 90kph winds and snow, the very fine "dry" stuff.

It settled, but only about 2cm and the ground was frozen, but it all seems to have disappeared this morning, except for on the mountain (Sinaia) pictured centre in the distance. :dance:

IMG_8822.JPG

It's a beautiful sunny day today, still below zero, but clear blue skies.

Maybe I'll take a run out later if I can get a pass-out... :think:

Reactions: Sag
A little run on the local lanes, up to my hill, but nothing particular to photograph. I've got some of white topped mountains, but they're on the camera and I don't have my laptop with me.

Came down via the "narrow" lane, rubbing the arches as usual, pretty much unavoidable :lol:

IMG_8823.JPG
IMG_8824.JPG

I was in Hungary this week and we had a small amount of snow Wednesday morning

If I go our tomorrow, I'll try and get some video.

It's not too exiting, but at least you'll see it as it is.

I'm peed off TBH, because my "own" little lane up from the house that I've adopted has been "rehabilitated" by some do-gooder with a JCB. It used to have rocks, narrows, bends, a stream crossing and all sorts, but now they've widened it, levelled it and even piped the stream.

Because they didn't compact the material at all, it's now such a soft muddy mess, I have to winch all the way from bottom to top. It's OK coming down the hill, but I'd need Cat-tracks to get up it unaided.

Not happy at all... it will be a couple of years before the filling settles and self compacts. :angry-screaming:

Gritters out in force recently, always get a nagging feeling knowing what damage the salt can do to the underside of the cruiser

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You live in a truely beautiful part of the world Clive.

I've met a few Romanians and they are so surpirsed when I tell them that I've been there and so pleased when I tell them that Romania is a beautiful country, the hidden gem in Europe, especially when I mention the mountains and the forests.

Somehow, I've missed these posts, sorry Mike (cool photos :thumbup:) & Reinhard (yes, I'm blessed living here :icon-biggrin:) dunno why I didn't get a notification though :icon-redface:

So, it's been cold over the holidays and as Mike has evidenced, snow next door in Bulgaria. No snow here though, super-dry and -3C ish by night, 0C by day.

But it's all about to change, it's snowing as I type and here's the forecast for the weekend... and into next week too:dance:

IMG_9024.JPG

So, with fingers crossed, we'll see what's on offer in the morning .... :pray:

Last edited:
please don't talk to me about winter.. yet another crap, boring snowless winter in the uk. again my winter tyres havnt even made it out of the shed..

please don't talk to me about winter.. yet another crap, boring snowless winter in the uk. again my winter tyres havnt even made it out of the shed..

Ok, I understand the depression :cry:

Bang on the winter rubber and head East!:dance:

So, having gone to bed with this coming down...

IMG_9027.JPG

As imagined, we woke to this sight from our city apartment window this morning....

IMG_9028.JPG

Still snowing hard by lunchtime, with the side-streets looking like this ...

IMG_9030.JPG

Yippee!! :dance:

Trouble is, my better half is now winging about the DN 1 national road (up to our house) being blocked. :( I know that it will be cleared and safe for us to travel by 7:00 pm, but it's hard to convince the ladies that it's a good idea.

I really do want to be close to the mountains when the weather is like this, Bucharest is just another snarled-up mess under these conditions.... :|

Well see, I have to focus on my powers of persuasion... :lol:

Last edited:
It didn't go as hoped. :|

A weekend in Bucharest it seems for us, but news from our neighbours was that we'd only had 3 cm at the house, whereas it was closer to 30 cm in the city.

So it was off to the local park (2mins walk) for us.

IMG_9039.JPG

IMG_9041.JPG

IMG_9037.JPG

IMG_9036.JPG

IMG_9040.JPG

IMG_9038.JPG

IMG_9042.JPG

And a short video...

A fun day as it turned out!

Last edited:
With it going down to -19 C tonight, on the news they were showing Constanta suffering 80 odd km winds.

At that temperature it's not unusual for the sea to freeze, but I can't find any contemporary photos from this week. These are stock pictures mostly from 2006 the last time they had it so cold for so long with high winds...

IMG_6669.JPG

IMG_6670.JPG

IMG_6671.JPG

IMG_6672.JPG

IMG_6673.JPG

IMG_6674.JPG

IMG_6675.JPG

IMG_6676.JPG

IMG_6677.JPG

It's quite a sight...

We never seem to get any serious weather in Northamptonshire. Even when other parts of the country are carpeted in the white stuff, we don't seem to get it.

I don't like the cold, but on the odd occasion (once every 5 years or so) we get snow, i do get a little bit excited and you do feel a bit smug driving a proper 4 x4 :))

We never seem to get any serious weather in Northamptonshire. Even when other parts of the country are carpeted in the white stuff, we don't seem to get it.

I don't like the cold, but on the odd occasion (once every 5 years or so) we get snow, i do get a little bit excited and you do feel a bit smug driving a proper 4 x4 :))

Well cold it is here, these last weeks.

Some 5 cm of dry powder snow overnight and today had a high of -4C (now) and -22C forecast for tonight. Brrr...

Back