Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

winter slowly coming

landcruiserjohnb

hi guys
just a thought, is it possible to put coolant or anti freeze in the wash bottle for the windscreen

landcruiserjohnb said:
hi guys
just a thought, is it possible to put coolant or anti freeze in the wash bottle for the windscreen
I don't know about anti freeze, don't it strip ya paint or summat? I put in a good dose of isopropyl alcohol, everytime you use the washers it gives a loverly smell :thumbup:

im thinking of some way to stop the washer water freezing over night and then when needed while driving in the snow.

I cut holes in the fire blanket below the washers so once engine was warm the heat kept the jets from freezing.

then bought 6 odd feet of clear plastic piping and rerouted the washer line from the far right near the wiper motor and coiled it around the top heater hose - something Chris also did IIRC, means that once your engine is warm you've got warmed water to push onto the screen - even on the motorway at -18c last winter i was able to keep driving and press the screen wash. Cost me about a fiver and about 20 minutes work.

I have pics of that somewhere. It worked a treat. Actually got steaming washer fluid. I wanted to take another length and coil it into the washer bottle. Then I have an idea about cutting a hole in the bottle and putting one of those coffee mug water heater elements in there. Sealed with silicone and a switch on the dash. Never got round to it.

Chris

just put in the correct washer fluid. if its good to -5, it will freeze when its -5. if its good to -30 then no worries. if you read on the back, it will tell you its rating and if it doesn't, don't buy it.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
the poly hose round the coolant pipe idea does work well, but only once the engine is warm.

i was talking to some one a few weeks who had an interesting idea.

use copper brake hose, and wrap it around the exhaust manifold a few times, then link the poly tube on to that. the idea being that the exhaust manifold would get hotter a lot quicker than the coolant hose on a cold icy morning. :think:

Does coiling plastic or copper tubing around a heat scource cause a delay in the water getting to the washer jets :confusion-confused:

No. Not at all Chas. It doesn't siphon back.

The water heated jets work perfectly and heat up very quickly as it is engine water.

Put the right fluid in? How boring is that! :lol:

Chris

Right, copper tubing added to shppping list.

How does all this stop the nozzle freezing? Once flowing I can believe it but stop for 10 minutes and my nipples freeze.

Also not struck in the copper tube on exhaust idea; if it gets too hot and hits the window? Lord of cooling enroute from nozzle to window so should be ok I guess.

When I ran halfords advanced stuff neat, it was fine. Dilute and you have problems. Bloody expensive though.

Sent from TapaTalk

Oh dear of dear oh dear. Ever heard of conduction and convection my dear chap? It doesn't stop them freezing. It un freezes then. Really I'd have expected more from you :roll:

Dr Oetker

Really guys. Washer fluid with anti-freeze isn't that expensive. A couple of gallons should keep through the freezing period. And it doesn't freeze to ice as soon as it hits the cold windscreen either.

Chris said:
Oh dear of dear oh dear. Ever heard of conduction and convection my dear chap? It doesn't stop them freezing. It un freezes then. Really I'd have expected more from you :roll:

Dr Oetker

of course, why do I bother lagging my house pipes in winter. The boiler has hot water in it, the outside tap should be just fine.

Conduction and convection is my point - the nipple freezes while the water below is warm. Driving through Switzerland as well as here last year the pipes never froze, even though they on the wrong side of the comfy blanket. The nipples however froze. 1/4 cup of warm water (yellow works as well) and they unfroze. There is an awful amount of distance between your heating point and the nipple with a lot of cold air around a non-insulated pipe.

/

Decent screen wash and no worries.

I use the JCB one for construction equipment as its also a deicer, works great and is cheap as only sold in dealers.

Quote: The boiler has hot water in it, the outside tap should be just fine.

You have an outside heated tap? What the heck is that for? Are you sure your boiler is connected to your cold taps? Is this some South African nonsense? Maybe that's how you make tea (so badly) :clap:

The heat in the water inside the extra pipe bit is so significantly different in temperature that it spreads very quickly to the 'nipples'. Here in England we call them jets, or nozzles, but whatever your universal translator has come up with is fine with us. We understand most of what you say.

What you can't argue with is the simple fact that they work. Even this so called super screen wash doesn't always work. Imagine super screen wash AND the heated pipes! Warm screen wash works even better in normal conditions to. Much better wipe and clear. Your super wash on it's own doesn't do that.

Where you have volume as in the washer bottle, there is a greater chance of it working, but when the 'nipples' are under 6" of freezing snow and ice, you are talking about zero mass and a pretty good chance of freezing.

No, I am convinced that completely unnecessary improvements and whacky ideas are the way forward.

C

Coiling the copper tubing without it folding can be tricky.

I also used neat quality screen wash last winter and had no problems with freezing.
I don't like the idea of using the exhaust for heat as they get pretty darn hot.

What about something like this grafted into the washer bottle and a fused accessory live so it starts heating as soon as you turn the key
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-WATER-HEA ... 43a7ecfea1

I haven't looked into it but surely some of these new top spec cars have heated washer bottles etc so maybe you might be able to get hold of these.
Joe

Once I cut the hole in the fire blanket my jets were fine . You can see the frost and ice melting first in those areas.

Suppose one could coil some copper wire around the top heater hose and then attach it to the underside of the jets for even more heat....

Back