Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

wipers die...agian?

Bob Mane

Country Flag
united_states
Bought few months ago. Wipers always seemed slightly weak ( compared to other cars I have had) but they worked. After about a month they just stopped working one day..would not turn on.

Bough new motor from junkyard. Worked for about 2 weeks then
failed. 2 days ago started making a whine noise when operating. Then yesterday the whine noise with clunk at the end of cycle. Then today just dont come on.

how could 2 die like that?

how could 2 die like that?
Possibly because something other than the motor is the problem. Either the mechanism is stiff or so badly worn that it puts too much strain on the motor or there is an electrical problem causing the motor to get too little current to work properly. Did you inspect the motor you replaced to find what happened to it? If it’s burned out then the problem is probably mechanical, if it works fine then it’s electrical on the supply side.

Last edited:
The link mechanism is a known weak point. the stub axle for the wiper arm has a bushing which wears out; this gives a lot of play and resistance on the mechanism.

Mind your fingers and after disconnecting the motor, try rotating the arm.

The bushes do dry out and slow the motor.

Regards

Dave

These bushes are Nylon if I remember rightly? If this is the case and they are oiled, they will absorb the oil, swell up and make the mechanism very stiff. Nylon/plastic safe lubricant is necessary to avoid this.

if i take off motor can it be fixed without opening up whole assembly area?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
IIRC it is just a few screws on the front of the wiper surround panel/grill, open bonnet gives access.

Regards

Dave

So I put in a new wiper motor. seems to be functioning fine for now. Problem is the wipers stop in the up position. i must have missed some arm positioning technique when i put it in. any way to fix that without taking apart

You could well have a mechanical strain on the motors (Common). The scuttle comes off by opening the bonnet and undoing the screws. the scuttle slides forwards and up/out. The mechanism can then be removed and checked easily. Twould be a pity to ruin a 3rd motor.

Bob, with the motor disconnected from the wipers are you able to move the wipers back and forth easily by hand? It is important you check this.

To sort your parking issue, with the wipers off and parked, undo and align the arm on the front of the wiper motor with the position that corresponds to the wiper arms being in the proper park position. Probably about 180 degrees from where it currently is. There is no other way.

i had tested the motor before install and it must have stopped in wrong position after testing. Took it out, ran a cycle. Then pulled wipers down and both were then aligned in the cycle

Back