Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wiring the built in 9 speakers

jirafe31

Country Flag
madagascar
Hi guys,

I recently got a used LC120 with an already installed Chinese Head Unit ZXDZ 01.

The problem is: I have 9 speakers inside the car but only 4 of them are functioning. I looked at the wiring behind the head unit and these 4 speakers are the only ones actually wired to the 4 audio outputs of the head unit.

So my questions are: do you know if it is possible to wire the 4 audio outputs to an amp, and from there wire all 9 speakers? Or something else?

I still have the stock head unit but I don't know how it worked before, is there a stock amp somewhere inside the car?

The 9 speakers are: 3x front left, 3x front right, 1x rear left, 1x rear right, 1x trunk (see pictures)

Thanks a lot

Attachments

• front_speakers.jpg
    front_speakers.jpg
    342.3 KB · Views: 78
  • rear_speaker.jpg
    rear_speaker.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 49
  • trunk_speaker.jpg
    trunk_speaker.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 48
It depends on what model 120 you have. The LC5 had an external amp (under the driver's seat I believe) so the speakers may be wired via that.

I have a LC4 so all come from the head unit

Thanks @TonyP, you are right, I have an external amp under the driver seat (so I guess I have an LC5 but I am not sure though).

It seems that it is not connected though, and the head unit is directly hooked up to the 4 working speakers.
Well, I guess the previous owner didn't do things properly (not to my standards at least).

So, I am wondering if it is worth it to reconnect the stock amp and speakers, I'd have to make some tests, maybe put new cables all around if they are not there anymore.

Are those stock sound systems worth it? (Don't know the Toyota quality in the 2000's, I know today there are those stock premium like Bose for example)

Or maybe it is wiser to go for an aftermarket build with amp and component speakers?

I do know on the LC5 changing the head unit is more difficult, so sounds like the previous owner just lashed this in.

A few years ago I added a Parrot hands free kit to my LC4 and I know there were two options for the wiring harness adaptors to specifically cater for these differences.

Might be worth searching for said harness and see if you can get the speakers working with the existing amp.

The stock systems are no great, and are quite old now. There is a thread on here where someone replaced the LC5 unit with a Tesla styled one, so 8t is possible to do

Member tony rodaway did that and included pics of finished job, not long ago. Sorry no link, look back through 120 threads. If that interests you, maybe pm him, hes a friendly and helpful guy.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ho I saw that thread, but not many technical details though.

And supplying parts is very difficult on my island...

I'm thinking going for an aftermarket build, as those are the most available over here, with decent efforts and maximum guaranteed results.

Either way, I'll keep you posted!

Yes, you are correct. Tony's post wasn't a meant as fitting/technical guide for the unit, more of how it looked after he'd fitted it. Thats what I was trying to get over to you, if you were interested in the Tesla unit, as mentioned by TonyP, then any details perhaps provided by member Tony Rodaway.

Back