Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Witness events in history, but which one?

Towpack

Garage
Country Flag
england
If you could go back in time to witness one event in history first hand which would it be? For me it would have to be a Saturn V launch.

The D Day landing but only as long as you could guarantee my safety, just love to see the planning and orchestration behind it.

I find it odd to watch stuff on TV that are now sen as defining moments in history but at the time we’re just life. You don’t realise at the time that you are actually living history.
For me the one I saw which leaves a memory as it’s on the telly quite a bit was the miners strike, specifically the battle of Orgreave.
Going back in history? Watching the Battle of Britain taking place over your head must have been something extraordinary.

Wow that’s a difficult one , non specifically Genghis Khan , the Aztecs , ancient Egypt spring to mind but what event ?

Drakes Spanish Armada , D Day , VE Day but how , from where while viewing things from a personal perspective ?

Today we think of VE Day as a celebration but we can’t even imagine how many tears of sorrow were shed that day .

I guess I would choose to be at one of the first encounters with the indigenous people of America .

The first 80 rolling off the production line..

When British Leyland closed Longbridge.
Higgy, my Dad did witness the battle of Britain overhead, He was driving lorries on the South downs for United Dairies. No traffic all deserted and he had 303 cartridge cases raining down. He found a crashed 103 fighter with the injured pilot inside. His head had hit the instrument panel but he managed to get him out and drive him to a police station.
TP. I saw the Satrurn 5 launches on telly. The most powerful and complex thing ever made.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
So rarely does an event occur that we realise while watching it unfold that it is a moment of history that will live forever.. I watched Mandela walk to freedom on telly and later stood in that same spot outside the prison near Paarl. It was only then I really saw the gravity of the moment.. If I could go back to a moment, it would be the Wright brothers at Kitty Hawk... few witnessed the future in the making there.

TP. I saw the Satrurn 5 launches on telly. The most powerful and complex thing ever made.

Yes I saw them too Frank. To experience a launch from the forward observation bunker and watch the thing light up and all 2900 tons of it lift off and accelerate to 25000+mph would have no equal IMO.

Id have liked to have been in Berlin when the wall came down, remember seeing it on telly but as is often the case, didn’t register what a moment it was.

Back