Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Won't start - odd symptoms

Tommo1

Hi all, hoping someone can help please.

My 1989 LJ70 has been garaged for the winter on a trickle charger.

When I tried to start up today (first time this year) there was some power to the dash (radio came to life) but battery/alternator light was on and clearly not enough power to turn the engine. Power has faded further now so just a split second flicker from battery light when turning key to ON then dash goes dead (including interior light and radio).

Interestingly the headlights are perfectly bright and horn is loud.

Called breakdown service out, he confirmed battery has tested ok and earth/ground is ok. Tried a jump start anyway but still the dash is dead.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Clean battery terminals and connections . The Simplest things first .

Thanks Shayne, yes tried that, makes no sense difference.

I can't work out why headlights and horn are fine when dash/ignition is not

Damp got somewhere it shouldn't would be my hope because wd40 displaces water harmlessly and failing that i'd start checking every connection i could find .

Think I found the connection at fault, a cable running from positive battery terminal going into a connector block was badly corroded and snapped off at the connector as I wiggled it, was probably only connected by a couple of strands of copper. When I touch cable to its connector block dash lights up like christmas tree

Cheers for your input Shayne

PXL_20210405_130854288.jpg

Thanks for the follow up on this Tommo1. These follow ups help us all out even years later on these threads. My wiring was tortured by Sicilian “mechanics” and has the most random “Va Bene” fixes all over the place.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've always sprayed my electrics (engine bay and anywhere else accessible) with GT85. Done this for years on my motorbike engines and cars, it won't hurt and helps to keep moisture out and connections lubricated.

Back