Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Worn ignition key & weird starting problems.

goodoldboy

as the title says the key/ignition barrel is so worn that the key can be taken out in any position. I started up yesterday morning , drove a short distance , parked up & when i came back a few hours later , tried to start .So lights on the dashboard , blower working , turned the key - nothing, Batteries at 12.78 ??? the minister of finances came down & she listened out under the bonnet , & heard 2 clicks - not the rapid clicking of a failed starter motor solenoid - could have been the glow plug relay & one other ? . So we swapped places & it fired up for her first time :grimacing: Im slowly reading through the threads on Starting on this forum but meanwhile if anyone has a clue ....maybe something to do with a worn key/barrel & the immobiliser ? the dreaded SCV ?

It won't be the scv anyway, as they fail intermittently, and will not feed back any signal to stop the truck starting. My bet is the ignition barrel, and the connector for the starter position being worn and causing a fault.

The clicks sound normal pre start, as the glow plug & starter relay do a double act.

Yeah i think it's a worn barrel Bob , and yes the relays clicking , all normal. I t started yesterday with my missus standing outside the truck , so maybe even a slight change of angle makes a difference. But she does have a gentle touch , more like a safe cracker than my ham fisted attempts. The Max Elery manual has a test procedure for the ignition switch so i'll give it a try.

Silly question but have you tried with the spare key before writing off the barrel? I only ask because my original key was very worn when I got the car years ago and was behaving oddly in the ignition (from memory it felt sloppy, not non-starting like yours). I simply got a new key cut (with an immobilser chip) and haven't had a problem since. I wonder if keys wear before the barrel does? And they're cheaper and easier to replace...

thanks Dave. i'v tried the other key which is like new - same result .Thers a test chart in the Max Ellery manual for the ignition switch .Im going to give that a go

My ignition key is very worn too and kind of pulls out a bit in the ACC position but won't come out. Still if it turns the switch it should work but mine has had one weird time where the dash illumination lights dimmed a little under load (e.g. dimmed with the indicators etc), and I put that down to a worn ignition switch but it hasn't happened since.

I do have diagrams for the diesel so you could put the key in place for the immobiliser then just jump the ignition switch to rule that out. Could always short the starter relay manually like this to rule out the starter solenoid, motor, and battery.

Although mine is the 3.4 petrol so not the same setup for starting I have recently seen my battery go from reasonable to almost dead in only a week or so. I wrote about it in the maintenance thread, but essentially needed a new battery. Even after a few failed cranks and many clicking of relays it still locked the doors and opened them fine! Kind of good at supplying a little power but fell over supplying a large load.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I do have diagrams for the diesel so you could put the key in place for the immobiliser then just jump the ignition switch to rule that out
Is that from the Max Ellery manual mate ? i'm going to test the continuity of the switch when i get a moment.The landcruiser hasn't moved much in the last 11 months & i don't really need it at the moment so i'm not in a rush .

I have the Toyota factory diagram for the 90 mk I (96-00) so it covers the 1KZ but not the 1KD. Plus the 5VZ and 3RZ petrols. Let me know if you want a copy and I'll PM you a link. I have the Ellery and a physical Haynes manual too but there's a lot of simplification in the diagrams.

I have the Toyota factory diagram for the 90 mk I (96-00) so it covers the 1KZ
Yeah that would be great.Ive got a factory manual for 70 series with the 1KZ TE but not sure if the 70s had all the immobiliser/ alarm stuff ?

Back