Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Would an 04+ 100 run on biodiesel?

warrenpfo

Not wanting to count my chickens before they hatch as I have to sell my current cruiser first BUT I wanted to ask those running alternative fuels a few questions.

I have done some asking around on the South African Landcruiser Forum and it would seem that running a petrol cruiser on LPG is not a viable option due to the lack of availability and the cost factor, LPG is only slightly cheaper than petrol.

Based on this it would seem that the best option for me is to run biodiesel. As it stands I am selling my current 2003 100 series so that I can get an 04 or later model to get the 5spd box and a slightly newer model to take back to SA.

I have been told n the past that newer diesel engines are a lot more refined and fussier on the fuel you put in than older diesel engines. Based on this what do those in the know think about running an 04 or later maybe and 05 100 series on biodiesel.

Is there anything to look out for when buying a car to run on biodiesel that I should be aware of and is there anyone on here that has a later model 100 running biodiesel?

It will probably depend on who is making the biodiesel. If they are any good then you'll have no problems, if they are filtering old chip oil through a sock then you will have a lot of problems.

Well you don't need me to tell you that "one mans Bio is another mans used chip oil"

What will run on used chip oil is a world away that will run on Bio.

Does the 2005, 100 series run common rail like the 120 series 1KD-FTV engines?

Gra.

Nick

I have done some reading on the site and found a few references to the 100 series and Diesel Bobs website which makes interesting reading.

It would seem veg oil is a NO NO but bio diesel is a possibility BUT as you say needs to be done properly.

Can you buy bio diesel from "approved" retailers/manufacturers or does it then not make it much of a cost saving exercise and so one has to make it yourself to make using it cheaper than std diesel?

Graham said:
Does the 2005, 100 series run common rail like the 120 series 1KD-FTV engines?

Gra.

Now you have me there I would not know

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It's a glorified 80 series engine, no common rail AFAIK.

You do get 'approved' bio sellers, they aren't actually approved as such but they make fuel to the EN14214 standard and it is periodically tested. They are a certainly more expensive than DIY but that is because they are taxed the same as Shell or BP, it's just that the raw material is a lot cheaper to get.

Essentially, properly made biodiesel is indistinguishable from mineral diesel in your engine and the percentage of bio in the stuff off the forecourts is constantly increasing.

The additives that are put in to 'shop' diesel can have an effect on the efficiency though. I started using Shell diesel over the winter, the extra pennies per litre are taken up, I think, in better MPG than supermarket fuel and I was having cold starting issues with my local brand of biodiesel at 100%.

I have been told n the past that newer diesel engines are a lot more refined and fussier on the fuel you put in than older diesel engines.
Probably true in some cases but the 100 has the same diesel engine throughout its production period. If your 03 will run on bio, then no difference for a newer one.
My 2c is the HD series of engines have been proven in their hundreds of thousands all over the world in all sorts of conditions with a variety of diesel qualities. Biodiesel will be fine in any 100 diesel IMHO, obviously subject to reasonable quality control.

There are places selling biodiesel in SA - I think Sasol even runs a diesel grade with quite a high bio content? My old man occasionally runs bio from a local commercial producer in his V10 Touareg with no issues at all - and the V10 is much higher tech than the HD-FTE :lol:

Is there a difference in performance in bio? At 115p/L that's a saving of about £25 a tank on a 120. Not exactly a huge amount. Driving a bit slower would see the same saving. If, like LPG, you get less bang for your buck, there is even less reason.

Bio has the same calorific value (or near as dammit) as proper derv. I believe some types may even have slightly more, depending on the source of the veg oil.
Obviously there are slightly more difficult factors to consider like flame speed and completeness of combustion of bio, which affect efficiency and therefore power output. But I don't think there's an appreciable loss of mpg with decent bio - certainly compared with some of the supermarket derv.

Not sure what your point is about the 30p/l cost saving being irrelevant? Why do you drive an IQ again? :mrgreen:

I drive an iQ because all the cool cats do :8

Not knocking the saving, I thought it would have been more though. Is bio from dealers such as Warren’s link, subject to all the tax and levies? I assume(d) not which is why I thought it would have been cheaper. A saving of around £25 to a tank when the tank costs £120 ATM seems almost pointless (a little off a lot).

The days of cheap fuel are gone regardless of source…

Crispin said:
The days of cheap fuel are gone regardless of source…
True that :thumbup:

I am of the view that 25 nicker off each fill-up would be an awesome saving :shifty: But then I'm not part of the IQ crowd, so what would I know.... :whistle:

Back