Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Would you,

joinerman

Garage
As some of you know I've been looking for another motor to replace my 80, been to see several & traveled miles & miles to see sheds described as imaculate, but last night i went to see a 52 plate 03 Audi A4 tdi quatro estate, true to the sellers description it's very clean except it will need a windscreen for the next MOT, he won't take less than 3 grand which is a bit strong, BUT as it's a good un would you pay a bit over price for it ?

If you know its the right car and you know it will be difficult to find another one within the next 2-3 months then yes I would pay a bit more. For me that would be £200-300.

I managed to find a sub 100k mile 530d in almost the spec I wanted (no heated seats) which had not been clocked and family owned for the last 11 years. I paid £300 more that I would've liked to but seeing as all the other ones that were advertised had 160k to 250k on the clock and usually 4-7 previous owners it was a no brainer. It was an even easier decision to make when it took me 3 months to find it.

Remember it doesn't take long clocking up £300 in diesel and wasted time looking at sheds and the windscreen doesn't matter, you can claim it off your insurance.

Go for it. My missus always leaves the clothes she wants to buy, and spends a full day touring the shops for I dunno what, and then she's disappointed that the first thing she liked has been sold!

A waste of a day IMO, and in your case a waste of 3 months.

Take the Audi and run!

PS shame you have to lose the 80, that's the bit that would break my heart.

Last edited:
Seems a fair price for it - have you enquired about new window costs? Some of insurances don't cover windscreens (I had to try a few places before I found one that covers the truck, third party on other cars and covered windscreens!) and if you buy it with a broken windscreen, they won't cover it (technically you're defrauding the insurer - although as long as you've got a couple of months between buying the car and the MOT expiring, you'll probably get away with it)

Yes i can get a new screen for £275 max could be less if it's not a rain sensitive one, i won't bother claiming on ins with my luck one day it will come back to bite me, ie you've had a claim sir were going to hike your premium through the roof, The car's on an auction site & the guys told me his reserve but won't end it for his reserve, reckons he's going to get a lot more for it, nice car though, watching & waiting !!!!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I hope you are successful Joinerman. I have also looked at audi quattro estates as a replacement for the Landcruiser as you still have fourwheel drive, auto box, the estate gives you plenty of room for tip runs or family holidays. and a bit better fuel economy ( i was looking at the 2.5 tdi). the only thing that puts me off is the low down driving position but i suppose you get used to it. but then i aslo get the calling of upgrading to the amazon ( when i finally get any savings together) so until then i will stick with my current one.
Its a shame you need to sell up but let us know the outcome on the Audi and how you get on with it.

I had a go in it the other night joe, it's a 2.5 manual 6 speed, goes like shit off a shovel, the one thing that is putting me off slightly is the road tax, £154 for 6 months, the 1.9s are only about £93.

What are the 1.9 like for power though? Surely the 2.5:icon-cool: is worth the extra bit in tax:icon-biggrin:

Had a go in a normal 2wd 1.9 tdi a couple of months back, had plenty of grunt.

If its just the tax thats the issue and your happy with everything else, then go for it. I did and I don't regret it. If you want the benefit that a 2.5 V6 and Quattro system brings, then the slight downsides have to be endured.

I was shopping for a new daily earlier in the year, and I spent a fair bit of time comparing running costs. Tax varies so much between cars and I was tempted by some of the cheaper to tax options, but when I added reliability into the equation many vehicles had know faults, that would likely crop up and require money to sort. Any money saved would have been negated by the repair bills, plus reliability is very high on my priority list.

I was after a diesel auto estate, by a process of elimination I narrowed it down to two vehicles and went with a '56 plate Mercedes W211 E220 CDI auto estate (post facelift) (pre facelift have a few known faults, post facelift are reported as having all known issues sorted). The only catch was the tax, £260 a year, but as soon as you stick an auto box into the equation the Co2 jumps up. I don't like paying £260 a year, but thats the price I pay to have what I want.

Am I happy? Yes, every time I drive it, I know I made the right choice. It suits my usage, and is returning 40mpg on a commute into east London.

Good luck with your purchase.

(pre facelift have a few known faults, post facelift are reported as having all known issues sorted).

Unless it's a V6, at which point you swap one set of problems for another :doh:

Ideally you'd want the earlier straight 6 motor and gearbox in the later bodyshell.

That's why I went with the 220CDI and not the 320CDI. The 3.2 6 cylinder has some issues, but I couldn't find any such problems reported against the 2.2, 4 cylinder. It has 170bhp which is enough for a daily.

I found, and saw evidence of the 220CDI engine being reliable and easily reaching big miles with minimal fuss. Found a '09 plate on 229,000 miles and one that had been a taxi with 423,000 miles on the original engine and autobox.

Will be interesting to hear what you believe are the issues with the 3.2, as would I suspect several large groups of forum members.

Otherwise it starts to sound perilously like self-justification, given that it's just as solid and reliable as the 220. :lol:

IME, HJ reviews need to be taken with a healthy pinch of salt. Like the Daily Mail, they seem to revel in purporting isolated cases as widespread sensationalist fact, especially when reissuing information reported by disgruntled owners.

The electrical gremlins were caused by the wiring looms being installed by machine, which were pretty much sorted by going back to installation by hand. Hand-installed cars can be identified by having a mesh panel over the top vents.

"Premature injector failure" is not a common issue at all, neither are boost regulators. The injector seals affect the 220 as well, and the facelift cars.

They're confusing the battery that runs the convenience functions with the main battery on the car.

etc etc.

Will be interesting to hear what you believe are the issues with the 3.2, as would I suspect several large groups of forum members.

Otherwise it starts to sound perilously like self-justification, given that it's just as solid and reliable as the 220. :lol:
SERIOUSLY??? The information is all out there for people to form their own decision.

Please note that I said "post facelift are reported as having all known issues sorted", I'm not making a statement that they are fault free, I'm saying that they are reported as having all the known faults addressed post the models mid life facelift.

I did similar research for all the vehicles that met my criteria, Honest John wasn't my only reference point. I found enough reasons to not buy a 3.2, or a pre facelift model, from a few different sources. I have friends who are Merc, BMW, Audi & VW trained and they backed the 220 over the 320. They also offered helpful insight into which models, (that are made by manufactures with good reliabilty records and reputations), are ticking time bombs and best avoided.

I agree that you take things with a pinch of salt, but when you hear them from other sources as well, then there is obviously more to it than one disgruntled owner doing the rounds.

I made an informed decision and I'm very happy with the car.

Joinerman, please except my apologises for steering your thread off course.

Indeed it is, but that doesn't necessarily make the information correct. See here - http://xkcd.com/978/

10+ years in, around and under Mercs is telling me a different story, so I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Well guess what i got today, went on fleabay this morning & by dinner time it was mine.

03 reg Audi 1.9 tdi estate quattro estate IN BLACK.

Chaps delivering it tonight from sheffield, HPI checks out ok & if it isn't has described no sale.

Back