Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wraparound awnings in the rain

nick_the_fish

Supporter
Country Flag
great_britain
Hi all,

i know there are lots of posts on here about wraparound awnings but I haven't seen any that mention how good they are in the rain. We are looking to get an awning for the next big trip and am looking at the Eazi Awn Bat 270 with the side panels (yes they are expensive but i'd always rather pay more for one that lasts a long time rather than replace it in a few trips time).

Anyway, has anyone got any first hand experience of how these wraparound style awnings, or even better the Bat 270 specifically, perform in the rain? Does the rain water collect in the roof between the struts or does it run off?

Any thoughs much appreciated

Cheers

Nick

I have the Hannibal awning with sides, I find it very useful when camping as a changing or shower room as I can access the rear of the car from the rear passenger door.
It's also pretty good at keeping the rain out but for what runs down the side of the vehicle and under it from the ground run off.
I have had it collect rain on top as it is mostly flat but the canvas is in good condition so no leaks.
I chose it because it is self supporting and has no legs or guy ropes, and no pegs unless you fit the sides so nothing to trip over.
This is a better picture, just ignore the vehicle it is mounted on.

I've had my Foxwing up on Beeley Moor with the 2 sides on. It was far better than I'd expected Nick. But it depends on the rain and which way you're pitched. It was torrential, and I don't say that lightly. We had lightning and the lot, even hail at one point and the cover was excellent. Impressed. I would have 4 sides, but the wheel carrier would foul on number 4 and the driver's door on number 1. You're always welcome to pop round for a demo.

I'm thinking about one of those box awning, side rooms to go on the trailer.

We have an eezi-awn Batwing 270. In the rain the material sections fill with water and have to be emptied. I think the Alu-cab Shadow may be better as it has a post which creates a slope. That said, I've no practical experience with the Shadow so don't know whether the post works.

I have the Batwing and panels and tbh the panels do not zip on to the awning like the foxwing, and let rain and wind in, plus they are straight down and not tapered so you lose a lot of room compared with the foxwing
I do think I will be going back to the foxwing, I have not as yet seen any side panels for the Alucab awning so the Jurys out on that one
Cheers David

Hey guys,

Thanks for the responses. Very much appreciated. It sounds like the Foxwing might be a better option - I'll have another look at it online.

Chris, I may take you up on the offer to come and have a look at your Foxwing at some point if you have time. I'm sure my wife would be keen to see it too. Would also be interested to hear where you were camping on Beeley Moor. We go up there all the time to walk, we love it there - it may be a small moor but it has some amazing views!

Thanks once again

Nick

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have the Batwing and panels and tbh the panels do not zip on to the awning like the foxwing, and let rain and wind in, plus they are straight down and not tapered so you lose a lot of room compared with the foxwing
I do think I will be going back to the foxwing, I have not as yet seen any side panels for the Alucab awning so the Jurys out on that one
Cheers David

Have you got the horizontal poles with the sides ?

Not a problem at all Nick, do drop by. We're near the Smithy Pond pub. We camp on the off road site near Eastmoor. It's not a camp site you can use generally. We have some weekends where we do Sat and Sun. We're up there this weekend on Sunday actually.

We have an eezi-awn Batwing 270. In the rain the material sections fill with water and have to be emptied. I think the Alu-cab Shadow may be better as it has a post which creates a slope. That said, I've no practical experience with the Shadow so don't know whether the post works.

I have the alucab shadow and water pools in the same place between each leg. The slope just ensures that the water collects right at the edge of the material sections. The post is really a pretty poor design and most probably an afterthought. The only caveat is that the awning is more than strong enough to support the water and then some. I've sat under it watching a thunderstorm in high winds and torrential rain, without using the leg or the guys, and it was fine. I've actually never used either the leg or the guys even in strong winds.

Although I've not got or seen them, I do believe sides are available for the shadow.

I use a foxwing and 3 zip-together side awnings. Which are great at keeping rain and draughts off. I get of bit of ponding in heavy rain, but depends on how I set it up. Just need to push up on the ponds and make sure partner isn't standing where it cascades off ;)

Strong wind is the enemy of foxwings even with side panels up, it can cause billowing and the poles can start compressing, I am talking pretty vile conditions here. But the riskiest part is setting them up in strong winds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for taking the time to show us your Foxwing today Chris and apologies for the behaviour of the two little ones. They're a couple of ill mannered buffoons, what can I say - they take after their mother.....

We really liked the look of the Foxwing - where did you say was a good place to buy them from.

Also which battery monitor have you got? I'm looking for something that can show me current draw as well as volts.

Great truck by the way.

Cheers

Nick

Nick, you're welcome any time. The ankle-biters were fine. Just doing what they do. Only just come in off the drive can you believe - 19.30. Rebuilt the back brakes. Much better.

The charge thingy is a Victron 700 series. There's one on e bay at the second going for a good price. Well, still £128 but that's better then usual retail The Foxwing and sides were from Norwich Camping. Really good service. I like the FW as you can get spares virtually next day. Dunno about other brands.

Oh I found the strap I was looking for. If only I'd looked a little closer, it was actually in front of me. Doh

Back