Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Write up for Handbrake modification.

Chris Green90

Garage
Country Flag
england
Sorry for the double-up on threads guys but I thought that this write up warranted its own thread so as to make it easier to find and put in the modification section. I am sure that with some minor tweaks that there is no reason that this mod couldn’t be also done on the 80 series and others (70 maybe someone with more knowledge of the braking system on the 70 will have to confirm). So if anyone thinks this should be in the Mods Section for any other series please ask one of the moderators to put it there.

I also need to apologise from the start for this write up not being as good as for instance one of Bens, Steven’s or Bob’s I am terrible at taking photos whilst I am working (usually as I have to be finished in time to get the truck back in the garage before Amanda get home from work) so it will mostly be words but I will try and make it as concise as I can.

That being said…..Here we go.

Parts List
2 x Specific Toyota Avensis Rear Callipers
4 x Slider pins and bolts
2 x Avensis rear brake hoses
2 x Avensis rear HB Cables (or custom/modified ones)

After being sick to the back teeth of having to adjust the Handbrake on my 90 every time I take her out laning I decided that something had to be done about it. I posted on the forum to try and group some ideas and what follows is a result of that. For the full thread click here.

The plan was to replace the existing caliper with one from another Toyota vehicle with the HB actuator being part of the calliper (a disc HB if you like.) I wanted this mod to be as simple and “Bolt on” as possible and for the most part I think it is.
The first part is very simple…Get hold of the calipers. The part numbers for the calipers are O/S 47750-05040 and N/S 47730-05040. If you are getting these parts from a breaker be sure to get the carriers as well (or at the very least the slider pins and bolts) If ordering new you will also need the slider pins and bolts (2 of 04952-02020 and 4 of 90080-10180). I will talk about cabling later on.
Next part is also simple enough. Replace the old caliper with the new ones. I figure it is best to use the existing LC carrier as this allows for bigger pads to be fitted.

This is the original LC Carrier
2013-03-11130256_zpsf094cf95.jpg

2013-03-11130306_zpsa28c5890.jpg

And this is the original LC Slider pin
2013-03-11130322_zps7177a5e7.jpg

The slider pin for the new caliper is slightly different. Rather than it being threaded at the top of the shank it is threaded down the centre of where that thing that looks like a bolt head is.
2013-03-11130339_zps6f10cea0.jpg

I you remove the rubber sleeve from the new slider pin the rubber from the LC caliper will just pop into place on the pin holding it in place. The pin is very slightly thinner than the original but with a liberal application of silicone grease this should not be a problem as there isn’t any slop or wobble.

This is the rear of the new caliper showing the HB mechanism. The cable passes through the U bracket and attaches where the split pin is. I assume that when it is pulled on it turns some sort of worm drive screw that pushes the piston out. Pulling on the lever does push out the piston and it returns when you let go (the spring pulling it back well) so it looks to be in good working order. The black plastic to the right is pushed out of the way in the pic but should spin round 180 degrees and act as a dust/crap cover/collector for the HB cable.
2013-03-11130857_zps5c55f62e.jpg

2013-03-11130909_zps3a9838fb.jpg

One thing to note is that using these calipers on the LC will mean that you put them on the opposite sides to what they are on the Avensis. This is because the caliper sits on the rear side of the disc on the Avensis and the front side on the LC. Also note that these calipers are “wind back” and not “push back” like the existing ones.
The existing Hy brake hose is the same fitment but the locating pin is slightly different so I would advise getting hold of a pair of Avensis hoses as well.
Once the calipers were on I bled the system and too her for a bit of a test drive. The calipers were binding on the wheels when the foot brake was applied. The caliper is shaped to allow it to miss the wheel but the shoulder catches when engaged with my wheels being wider (this may not be a problem with narrower wheels/tyres) so the grinder came out and I took about 3mm off the front 2 thirds of the calliper arms and this solved the problem.

Now we come to cabling. This was really the tricky part. The HB cables I got hold of from the Avensis are really too long but they do work, Moving forward from this (When time and money allows) I will either buy or make some custom cables up. FYI this may well not be an issue on the 95 or 80 as they have a longer wheel base and I would have thought a greater distance from the HB lever to the rear axle but bear in mind there is about 2’ of slack.
Grabbed the leaver off the Avensis just in case it came in handy. It is the same setup as on the LC, Just bolts down in different places. I am undecided as yet whether to use this lever or see if the existing one will work just as well.
2013-03-11155040_zps373ea277.jpg

Cable goes down through the floor and connects to the compensator. The Avensis cable is no good for this though as it is far too short. On the 90 the HB cable exits the cab through the floor pan way back behind the storage box in the centre console. I overcame this by cutting down the existing LC Cable and crimping a new stopper on the end to the right length. I screwed the adjuster at the lever as loose as it would go and crimped the stopper where the cable came through the compensator with the cable pulled as tight as I could.
2013-03-11155051_zps1f917a2b.jpg

Here there was just a small bracket welded to the floor pan. It looks like it was there just to hold the cables in place. Shouldn't be too hard to fab one up. As it turns out there is a lovely bracket on the 90 already sat waiting for you about 10” back from where the cable comes through the floor.
2013-03-11155104_zpsa2affd75.jpg

And this is the end that connects to the HB Actuator on the calliper. The cables are plenty long enough to reach to the back axle and the Hy Brake line hoses are the same connection type however the locating pin is different so I would advise getting a pair of Avensis hoses as well.
2013-03-11155123_zps3cacbfa8.jpg

I hope that explains it all a little clearer than mud but if there are any questions please feel free to ask and I will try to answer them as best as I can.

Steven I recall there was something you were not sure about the sliders but I can’t find what it was so just let me know if I haven’t covered it.

Cheers
Chris

Last edited:
I thought you were adding an extra caliper to the set-up just for its handbrake feature.

It seems you actually just swapped the original caliper with the avensis caliper, how did you use the original carrier if the LC pads are bigger, surely the avensis caliper wouldn't fit over the LC bigger pads?

Is this till working ok for you? Does it require any maintenance?

Do they have internet in prison?

Still pleased with the mod? Seriously thinking to do this! Thanks.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've always thought it daft. Perfectly good for stopping you all of the time from crashing and dying but in a handbrake? Good gracious no. Wire operated brakes? Ooh no I don't hink so. Wire operated handbrake? Excellent Sir.

I don't make the rules.

The unit in Shaynes post is for rally cars with rear double calipers and the original factory hand brake.. The forward push is for when you're traveling at speed and come into a corner, lock the back brakes up and you're going sideways around the corner... no need to slow down!! Factory hand brake for when you're stationary...

They're a cool bit of kit!! :thumbup:

Be a great anti theft device if it could be tapped into all 4 calipers and hidden .

ChrisFix on YouTube has one of these (as well as vids of installing it) on his Ford Mustang.

Back