Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Yellow tops

froggy Steve

Supporter
Country Flag
europe
Hi everyone. Currently in Spain on holibobs. I have 2 Optima yellow tops as leisure batteries and am trying to run my Fridge for more than a few hours camped up with no electric hook up. If we stop at 5pm, the fridge freezer has switched off and lost 10-15 degrees of freeze by morning!
I have an IBS split charge system that went belly up on day 3, but managed to convert the controller (dave2000 and mark) with a T max controller (same apart from plug)
The split charge is working ok.
The 2 batteries don't appear to want to hold any power. They are a good few years old now, do I need to change them or buy a Smart charger?
Cheers

Smart systems like CTEK I use and redarc are supposed to be a lot more more efficient at charging leisure batteries
My ctek dual and smartpass have certainly kept my battery sorted

Andrew StPierre White presented a YouTube video recently explaining why smart systems are better than simple split charge relays

Have a look at the Intervolt thread on here Steve. Their DCC Pro is a nice unit. The difference is the Optimas need 14.7v to properly charge and an old fashioned split charge relay will only deliver 14.4 less any losses down the cable. You might revive them by bench charging with a mains powered CTek but they may be past their best. Do you have them connected in parallel? If so, one battery can drag the other down. It’s better to have one big battery or if you want to go for two, have some means of switching between them.

I have a T-Max split charge and a Rolls 105 deep cycle and I was getting about 36 hours for my fridge freezer (BD/C60 Snomaster) in Spain at about 30 degrees (in the shade) with light use of LED lights and a water pump.

Similar experience to AM - in fact as things like AO in the UK I can run completely off grid for 3 days running a fridge, water pump and LED lights off one 110 AH leisure battery. If your fridge is killing twin batteries that quickly, and your charge unit is working (even a super basic split charge system) either you have a drain somewhere or your batteries have gone bad.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Smart systems like CTEK I use and redarc are supposed to be a lot more more efficient at charging leisure batteries
My ctek dual and smartpass have certainly kept my battery sorted
Thanks Andy. Will look into a Smart charger.

Andrew StPierre White presented a YouTube video recently explaining why smart systems are better than simple split charge relays

Will watch him when we have Wi-Fi! Thanks
Have a look at the Intervolt thread on here Steve. Their DCC Pro is a nice unit. The difference is the Optimas need 14.7v to properly charge and an old fashioned split charge relay will only deliver 14.4 less any losses down the cable. You might revive them by bench charging with a mains powered CTek but they may be past their best. Do you have them connected in parallel? If so, one battery can drag the other down. It’s better to have one big battery or if you want to go for two, have some means of switching between them.
I have a brand new Intervolt system sitting on my bench at home! Was going in the 90 but sold it!

I would look at the batteries, seeing as how much the truck has been stood over the years, unless it was left on a smart charger that maybe the problem

I would look at the batteries, seeing as how much the truck has been stood over the years, unless it was left on a smart charger that maybe the problem
When stored the batteries where always connect to a ctek smart charger, but they would be close to 7 years old now.

When stored the batteries where always connect to a ctek smart charger, but they would be close to 7 years old now.
My blue tops gave up after 6 years

My God, what a long winded monologue that was. Have we all got that? That was a 5 minute talk at best.

Yes, thank you. That ASPW has become such a bore. I used to enjoy his channel when he was still telling stories, but these days he seems completely preoccupied with his Internet fame. I hit unsubscribe when he included a clip of a waiter spotting him in a restaurant.

My God, what a long winded monologue that was. Have we all got that? That was a 5 minute talk at best.
It's a shame the bloke does not practice what he preaches

We had a similar issue on a trip in Botswana when we parked up for a couple of days and drained the battery, and the subsequent drives were not Long enough to build back the batteries reserves. we were using a simple national luna split charger.

Ok will get a pair of yellows again. There isn't much room under the bonnet for a big single one. But with the Intervolt and new
I am thinking along the same lines tbh. These things need regular use....the winch stopped too during a recovery of me! A few other things need addressing, I think all from resting up too much :)

Back