Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

You couldn't make it up.....

froggy Steve

Supporter
Country Flag
europe
My CT is due (French mot) on 24th of this month. They changed to a much stricter set of rules in May last year. So today we had a pre CT check. Basically a CT but cheaper and no ticket.
Ok it failed. It failed on....wrong size tyres, side lights have blue/white led's not white ones. Brake balance 1% out (empty boot) hand brake, and a pointy thing on ARB bumper he didn't like. Emissions ok.
Now, my mate who has an 80, who lives down the road also had a CT booked for today, in the slot after mine. We both have 285x75x16 tyres. His passed. Mine failed. WT actual F?
So I spent all afternoon searching for a second set of wheels and tyres. Found a set in Toulouse but we're 225 x 70 x 16 . Dawn popped in on her way to her sex lesson (sax) to enquire if these will be ok and he said no! However, he will pass it with 285's if we promise to change them 275x70x16's when they wear out!
One last thing. I changed my headlights to left hand drive ones. Manually adjustable. It failed on these. Now get this. If i put my old r/h drive headlights back in with electric motors and put beam deflectors on, it will pass !
Absolutely bonkers!
Oh yes, the reverse lights under the roof rack are no longer legal....I guess a switch in the circuit will sort that :)

Bless ‘em. I was going to suggest you borrow your mate’s wheels and see if it passes.
Is your Mate French by any chance? Just wondered. :whistle:

Lol, nope it's Langy! (member here) R/h drive and brit thru and thru - in fairness it was his Mrs who took it in.........must try that trick next time....:)
There are 3 x brit 80 owners in the Dordogne.....so far!

Well none of that comes as a surprise to me Steve.

It drives me nuts.

I was stopped by a bored cop on traffic duty last week. He pointed to my light bars and said I have to remove them. He didn't speak English, so Aura explained that they were all individually switched from the main beam supply and never used on the road. But he insisted that just being bolted to the car, the auxillary lighting made the truck illegal.

I suggested that I could cover them when not in use, but he said no, they have to be removed.

Thankfully the traffic lights changed to green and the cars behind me started with a horn chorus, and he waved me through.

What bollox all this is.

I wanted to ask him on what authority did he have blue and red lights on his police car?

Thank goodness he didn't look at my tyre size, 305/70/16 when the registration certificate says 215/85/16.

How can a light bolted to the car with no power going to it be illegal? Surely, it must be switched on to be committing an offence...

Hey-ho

Just another attempt to gouge money out of us Steve.Most of our small fleet have been taxed at the ITV (MOT) for having , among other things a factory sunroof that wasn't on the paperwork.Now been as the same ITV place did the first import test & the paperwork WTF but hey pay up & problem solved!
Last ITV for the 95 I saw a chart on the wall at the testing station laying out the steps that the technicians had to take to test emissions on a automatic Toyota with DPF so it wouldn't go into regenerative mode.It seems like a way to to cheat the tests & guarantee a pass.
My mechanic has advised me not to buy anything with a DPF "una puta mierda"

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I got told that the tone of my horn didn't meet the new MOT requirements. It apparently sounds like two individual tones together rather than sounding like just one single harmonised tone.

I got told that the tone of my horn didn't meet the new MOT requirements. It apparently sounds like two individual tones together rather than sounding like just one single harmonised tone.
I've heard that recently as well, so where does that leave manufacturer fitted 2 tone horns?

All I can say is I recommend my MOT station. They haven’t had their common sense removed.

Just another attempt to gouge money out of us Steve.Most of our small fleet have been taxed at the ITV (MOT) for having , among other things a factory sunroof that wasn't on the paperwork.Now been as the same ITV place did the first import test & the paperwork WTF but hey pay up & problem solved!
Last ITV for the 95 I saw a chart on the wall at the testing station laying out the steps that the technicians had to take to test emissions on a automatic Toyota with DPF so it wouldn't go into regenerative mode.It seems like a way to to cheat the tests & guarantee a pass.
My mechanic has advised me not to buy anything with a DPF "una puta mierda"
These modern cars with DPF's are a right royal pain. My van has one but I thrash the nuts off it, I think it helps keep it from blocking up!

I just fitted avrather 'gay' air horn.....didn't bat an eyelid!
It just shows how in consistent these places are.

Changed back to my motorised English headlights today. All work fine. Had to change a HID unit as with new lamp it didn't work properly. Luckily it was just a plug and play job. Changed side lights and in the Xmas box that came from Charlie (delivered by FIL in November) was a pair of clear front indicators, so they got changed too. Will put a switch on the reverse lights tomorrow and call them camp lights..... just hand brake and wheel bearings to nip up (all new) booked in on 23rd.....:)

Changed back to my motorised English headlights today. All work fine. Had to change a HID unit as with new lamp it didn't work properly. Luckily it was just a plug and play job. Changed side lights and in the Xmas box that came from Charlie (delivered by FIL in November) was a pair of clear front indicators, so they got changed too. Will put a switch on the reverse lights tomorrow and call them camp lights..... just hand brake and wheel bearings to nip up (all new) booked in on 23rd.....:)

best of luck Steve... :thumbup: :handgestures-finge:

How did the test go Steve? As you know in Spain we have the silly ITV system. I was at the station the oyher day and there was a guy matriculating his Roush Mustand, a lovely looking machine. He was told to remove the 'Roush' emblems running down the full length of the car, and the one across the top of the screen.

I too have been forced to stick with stock tyres unless I want to go head to head with the insurance company, and yet an identical (bar colour) customers car was allowed through with a larger size!

All I see is a system geared to force people to only purchase vehicles from Spain.

@goodoldboy Re the sunroof, mine was the same, got through the first year, on the second test the sunroof was noticed, it took some explaining that it was there the year before, eventually he agreed it appeared factory, my paperwork had to be updated to state a sunroof was fitted from new.

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
Yey! A pass. Couple ofvpoints made, thetr was an obstruction in the windscreen........2 cb antennae......and the back right rear window wasnt original.....its the GRP one where water and power suplies go through.....
Not a fail though....do that's 2 years till next one

Back