Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

you will like this...

Jimbo4x4

Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
[youtube:d766md4l]Br14VIJTAkA[/youtube:d766md4l]

:D

And that's the way to blow your front diff. OK it was slippery, but pulling hard in reverse is not the thing to do.
Nonetheless, very impressive.

Chris

I was going to say obviously no one told him you should never recover in reverse :thumbdown: :)

I did think that myself, but then he did manage it ok, so fair play to him. I laughed at the Nissan cap too :lol:

The truck obviously has an air system on its wheels.

So why are the tyres inflated to road pressure?
Probably doesn't know how to use it, or its broke.

At least they tightened the towrope before giving it some gas.
Ive seen more than ample situations where they gun it and the cars get a decent jolt.

Otherwise great viewing.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
chriscolleman said:
The truck obviously has an air system on its wheels.
It's not an air system Chris. Just simply revolution counters to monitor tyre life etc. The straps are to keep them from spinning with the wheel.

My mistake :thumbup:

I've seen some trucks with airsystems before, but revolution counters is a first.

chriscolleman said:
My mistake :thumbup:

I've seen some trucks with airsystems before, but revolution counters is a first.

We get them a lot in the UK on Polish and Lithuanian trucks but they are actually illegal over here as the strap is classed as dangerous to pedestrians.
The Poles etc use the wrong size tyres to get around the speed limiter limitations and so need to have another way of monitoring tyre life and distance travelled so that they can charge accurately.

Chris said:
And that's the way to blow your front diff. OK it was slippery, but pulling hard in reverse is not the thing to do.Nonetheless, very impressive.Chris
Please excuse my ignorance :oops: but why is recovering in reverse bad for your front diffs health :?:
Chas

Your pinion and ring gear teeth are designed to mostly drive the vehicle forward.
So that's where they calculated the teeth for maximum strength.

Some cars you can hear gears whine when you drive them fast in reverse, same reason.

The same reason early LR diffs go bump after a while, they simple reversed the axle front rear to front.

Something about the way the teeth on your gearbox are angled i believe.

I think the teeth in your gear box are at a slight angle to make them very strong when pulling ahead but the other side of this is that they have a slight, i wouldn't say weakness, but certainly extra risk when pulling astern.

Visual example, extreme but to paint the picture, rather than thinking like cogs in an clock think teeth on a circular saw blade.

chriscolleman said:
Your pinion and ring gear teeth are designed to mostly drive the vehicle forward.
So that's where they calculated the teeth for maximum strength.Some cars you can hear gears whine when you drive them fast in reverse, same reason.The same reason early LR diffs go bump after a while, they simple reversed the axle front rear to front.
Thanks Chris, it's all clear now, I'd never considered that before :oops: , so no snatch recoveries in reverse anymore, I did that once for a Rangie.
Chas

Back