Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Zambia bound

Andy H

Hello,
First up I'll be honest, I'm an absolute newbie. I never thought I'd own a 4x4, but it transpires that we're moving to Zambia in the Autumn, and the roads are going to be a bit different to the roads around Camberwell where we live now (probably a bit safer though!).

I just bought a 2001 Colorado 3L GX 117k to take out and I have to say, having driven it twice, I'm hooked! I know absolutely nothing about 4x4s though, so I'll be looking for some help.

Anyone got any experience of driving around Zambia? We'll be based in Lusaka, but planning to get out to the country as much as possible.

Welcome Andy - I'm not too far away from you. Zambia is fine to drive in outside the wet season but the roads around Lusaka [the ones i have travelled] were ok. The parks can be more challenging but nothing a Land Cruiser can't deal with. Seek out Gilmour Dickson [search] in the club as he's in Namibia about to start working in Zambia. Good luck!

Welcome - and yes, send a PM to Gil - he'll be only to happy to help, I expect - and knowledgeable fellow he is too!

I expect you and Gil might get a few 'passers by' dropping in on route to the Cape. :D

Graham

Jeez it's a small world :D
welcome and Hi from Lusaka! Julia and myself have just finished our induction training and head off to Kafue tomorrow am to rebuild camps. Can't wait. Zambia is fantastic - expensive (food and such) but great people - all that stuff you read about West Africa being the most friendly IMHO is bull.... compared to here. The roads are a mixture of good tar (i.e the main "great east/north/west" roads, but the bush can be extreme - the rains, well makes life a bit difficult - i.e. many wilderness areas are completely no-go. Rather take a boat :)
Sorry that I have to be brief, but it is freezing here and my fellow trainees are calling (with Mosi beers!). PM me for my email and we will chat more and certainly I hope to have the pleasure of meeting!
Gary says I am knowledgeable (thanks Gary!) - mostly about beer prices and HZJ78s :? Just stoked and excited to be working in the bush (rather than spending in the bush)
Cheers,
Gil and Julia, trainee Lion bait and tourist punch bags

Andy H said:
Hello,
First up I'll be honest, I'm an absolute newbie. I never thought I'd own a 4x4, but it transpires that we're moving to Zambia in the Autumn, and the roads are going to be a bit different to the roads around Camberwell where we live now (probably a bit safer though!).

I just bought a 2001 Colorado 3L GX 117k to take out and I have to say, having driven it twice, I'm hooked! I know absolutely nothing about 4x4s though, so I'll be looking for some help.

Anyone got any experience of driving around Zambia? We'll be based in Lusaka, but planning to get out to the country as much as possible.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back