Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Installing a Walbro pusher pump - update

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
For me, there are two good reasons for fitting a Walbro. Firstly, Julian V at Overland fits them; which is reason enough. Secondly, because I can. OK in practical terms when you stand an 80 on its rear wheels, pointing skyward like some 4 wheel drive Scud missile, I think that the old pump struggles a bit to raise that precious fluid from the tank several meters below the engine bay. At times when I needed maximum fuelling, I have had several instances of stalling. Yep stalling an auto, which is a neat trick. When I used the hand throttle to idle up, it was OK but then with the extra revs on the clock, I could barely stop the thing with the brakes!

Following very helpful advice from JV, I secured a Walbro FRB 22 from APEusa.com

Pumpbody1.jpg

This is a marine quality (1000 hour salt water tested) diaphragm pump with a max pressure of 11 psi and max flow of 225 lt/hour. It doesn’t need massive pressure and flow; you are just trying to give the lift pump a helping hand. It only pumps on demand and is self priming. You can read all the spec on the website for yourself. It arrived in the UK after two days and stayed in Customs for a nice little rest until finally getting to me after I paid the additional £34 to UK Customs. The box arrived with nothing in it but the pump. There were no fittings at all. I did ask APE if they’d include some fittings to my needs but being American, probably didn’t understand me.

The threads on the pump are ¼ NPT. This is not the same as ¼ BSP although in its tapered form, it’s a pretty close match. The barbed end is 12 mm or ½” for the fuel hose. If you can get some ¼ NPT to ½ hose tail then fine. But with limited space, I wanted to go with 90-degree elbows, which I couldn’t find in NPT. My local fittings supplier got these for me.

Nylonfittings.jpg

They are ¼ BSPT in nylon. They really screw in a treat. For the technical nerds out there, the NPT is 18 tpi and BSP is 19 tpi, but the threads are also cut at a different angle. With the nylon fittings, there is a degree of conformity when you screw them in so they seem bob on.

I made a backing plate from some 40 mm strip. The idea is that if you mount the bobbins onto the pump it will droop and bounce around as you can only use two of them. With the plate, you can mount in three places and then bolt the pump tightly to the plate. Tah Dah! Proper tidy. Apparently, there is some vibration that can be transmitted into the cabin if you don’t use isolators.

Mountingplate.jpg

I took the fuel line off at the first joint and fitted a stainless 100-micron filter just to stop any big lumps going through the pump. I have checked the tank and it’s actually spotless inside so it’s really a future precaution only.

Filter.jpg

This is also a handy way of joining the old and new pipe without having to take the original off the top of the tank. In a case of difficulty, the whole thing can be bypassed in minutes as all the original kit is still there. I fashioned a hose clip to keep things from jiggling.

Hoseclip.jpg

Underneath there is a convenient flexible to metal joint. I split this and added in a piece of 12 mm hose to the inlet of the pump then another from the pump to the metal pipe. I ended up with two sorts of pipe. Plain rubber and cotton coated. The cotton coated is very flexible and I used this on the output side as you need to bend it a bit more to join back up to the metal pipe that goes to the fuel filter in the engine bay.
Filter2.jpg

I agonised for some while about the location; it had to be easy to install, protected from bashing but accessible in case of problems in the field. There was a convenient hole near the bottom of the rail, which I used for the larger lower bobbin, and two new holes higher up. Obviously this was another great opportunity to get my riv-nutter out. Gotta love a riv-nut or two. The heat shield was interfering in terms of height, but as I have a straight through on now, it wasn’t needed. Quick mod later and the head-room wasn’t an issue any more. I needed to drop the prop to be able to get the drill in, but that didn’t take more than a few minutes.

Location.jpg

Rivnutin.jpg

Bobbinsin.jpg

Pumpmounted.jpg

As I am using the chassis as earth, I needed to put a small strap onto the bobbin mount as clearly the pump is insulated from the vehicle. I actually used two; one that came out of the pump loom and one directly to the casing after I had tapped out a convenient 6mm hole in the side of the body.
Bobbin.jpg

To power the pump I used the much under utilised auxiliary fuse box by the wing. The pump should only be energised when the key is turned. This meant using terminal IGN and a 5 amp fuse.
Fusebox.jpg

To join the supply to the pump I opted for a plain crimped bullet connector with silicone boots, white grease inside surrounded by some decent heat shrink tube. It’s not my idea of ideal for an external joint, but it’s pretty tight and weatherproofed. Out of the way, I think it will stay the course. It tucked conveniently inside the chassis rail.

I decided to put in a non-return valve by the main filter just as a precaution. It took no effort other than a snip and two clips (ooh, sounds familiar) and it just guards against drain back should there be any leaks in the system or whatever.
Checkvalve1.jpg

Checkvalve2.jpg

I disconnected the supply pipe and ran the pump to see what sort of delivery it had. All seems very good indeed. Pipe reconnected, all primed up, ready for a drive. Does it feel any different out on the road?

Well…..

Nice work Chris :)

Nice neat job and excellent write up Chris
MSN-Emoticon-032.gif

Thanks chaps. I know it's been done before, but I was asked by several people if I'd post once I got around to fitting it.

Chris

as has been said above. nice work and great write up. :thumbup:

Chris,

Nice write up - definitely considering doing this myself, as I've also stalled my auto on several occasions.

Whilst the hand throttle does fix the problem on hill climbs it does prevent the use of engine braking when you go down the other side - as Chris M and I discovered on the Balls challenge at lincomb :shock: :lol:

Do these have to be fitted at the fuel tank.. or could they be fitted in the engine bay :?: :think:

Its just that I've a long range tank fitted and the switch over solenoids are in the engine bay - so would need to be located after them.

Oh - and thanks for the pointer regarding Aux fuse box, didn't actually know that one existed!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Good job Chris, as always!!

"Do these have to be fitted at the fuel tank.. or could they be fitted in the engine bay"

I was told they push better than they pull if that makes sense. Dont know for definite though and would be very interested in others thoughts on this.

Also I see on LCOOL that Daz fits in tank Walbros, any benefits / downsides to this?

Justin, I thought about that. Answer is - I don't know. My guess is that it would work, but I don't know how much harder it might have to work. There is tonnes of space under a cruiser and I think you could get it under there without much difficulty. You'd need more fuel pipe, but having it nearer to the tank and down at tank level is what it recommends. It pushes the fuel, obviously and that's it strength rather than being a lift pump. BUT - there are other Walbro pumps that simply fit in the tank. I'd go that way if struggling. They replace the fuel pick up, needing no additional parts except power. Don't know the serial number but just try e-bay and you'll see. This one is 225 lph and 8-11 psi. When you pull the pipe off and run the pump, you get the same sort of flow as you do out of a garden hose - in relative terms. It doesn't spray across the drive. But it doesn't pulse either, it just pours.

Chris

Edit - Adrian - think I have probably just answered those for you

Spec on that is wrong. Far too high pressure. I' have a look. Back in a minute. The one I was looking at has a filter foot on it.

C

So far, no one has asked me the crucial question.... :whistle:

Chris

Chris said:
So far, no one has asked me the crucial question....

So Chris what is it like on the road then... {said in a loud 'prompting' voice }

As for two - Not sure if its feasible, although I could take a power feed from the solenoid switch over.. so only one would be walbro powered...

Well not done many miles yet and of course I am open to this purely being a placebo effect, but it does seem to run better. Immediately, it sounded quieter and smoother on tickover and when blipped, it really did 'blip' rather then wind up and down as you'd expect. On the road it honestly felt more responsive too. We have a nice steep hill near by so I went for a drive and it monstered it with little throttle. OK I have my comedy tyres on at the moment which are like dragging 4 giant Yorkshire Puddings around so they are damping any real benefit. I suspect that with my ATs back on, I really will notice a difference. I shall have to wait until I go off road again and play on some steep banks.

I think that if I were overlanding, I would fit one for sure. It has other potential uses - such as draining fuel off into cans if someone is stuck for some and it can be used to very quickly empty poor fuel (or petrol) that has been put in the tank. It primes in about 2 seconds, so if you have a failing lift pump diaphragm (primer pump) you've no worries.

On threads incidentally, I have been reading up more on the NPT and the NPFS which is the fuel system version. It says that BSPT is not compatible but BSPP is. Well I used BSPT in nylon and as far as I can see it's sealed like a good 'un You could use thread-lock too I guess. I did put some PTFE on.

Chris

I guess the question we need to wait to ask is - can you notice a difference on the fuel economy... :?:

I mean will it go from awful to bloody awful?

Just brimmed it at Tesco. Difficult to say bobbling around really and with off road use too. Only way for me to tell is a long drive North shooting. Not planning that until December. But on my last tank I reset the trip recorder and just touching the last segment on the gauge today, I got 95 miles.

Yes, I did say ninety five miles. Not quite sure what happened there. There is not a hole in the tank, the fuel has not been stolen and it is not visibly pouring out of the exhaust pipe.

But these tyres are MPG killers. I shall get something normal back on from my tyre warehouse. (that's the patio by the way)

Chris

I can't see how the new pump would adversely affect economy too much unless the OE lift pump was seriously under-fuelling the IP/engine most of the time. Even though I have a manual I've never had a stalling problem but I've noticed when I park facing up a steep gradient the idle speed will drop around 150-200 rpm yet there is no problem towing uphill at motorway speeds when fuel demand will be at it's highest. Maybe it's an age thing with the OE lift pump and they gradually deteriorate with the years and not the miles?? My 80 is probably one of the last ones made, now going on 14yrs old, but is still relatively low milaege at 87k.

Back