Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1KZT Starter motor issues

ModelMakerMan

Country Flag
england
I started some much needed work on the Cruiser today by replacing the glow plugs, that all went fine but when I tried to start her up the starter was very sluggish and she wouldn’t start. I charged the batteries and tried again but the starter was barely turning and making a clicking noise. Ive heard something about the contacts needing to be replaced on these motors occasionally, anyone know the deal with this? Is it an easy job? I’ve seen the rebuild kit on RoughTrax but is seems expensive for a few bits of copper and some bolts?

Starting to get fed up with the list of things to do getting longer, every time I fix something she decides to find something else expensive for me to fix! :roll:

Job's reasonably easy..ish, remove starter motor, remove starter solenoid, replace starter solenoid terminals and refit.
When I did mine the parts cost me £12.00
I'll try and dig out the paperwork and let you know where from.

£12 sounds a lot more reasonable, if you could let me know where you got the parts from that would be great. :thumbup:

I re-built the contact points in the motor using slices from a copper washer. I cleaned out the burnt parts, shaped the slices to suit and soldered them into position. Cost, in parts, zero.

I put out a thread/added to a thread---cant remember which, or on which forum---a long way back, including some pics.

Roger

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Result..
Mine came from Mr T, but didn't include the plunger....so that is a very good price.
If it fitted my 80, I would have bought one, just to have standing by, in case.

Yeah thats the one Ben. Ill post some pictures when it arrives.

Niva; Im pretty sure he will have a kit for the 80 just give him the number from the sticker on the motor. I sent him a message asking if this was the correct kit and he was very knowledgeable and friendly. :thumbup:

OK here we go:

Forgot to take a picture of the kit but it cam with 2x contacts, 1x Plunger and 1x new plastic Insulator.

Old (top) vs New (bottom)
P7136549.jpg

I was a little worried when I opened the kit as the contacts didnt look the same as the ones Ive seen pictures for and I was right to be worried as you can see the contacts are different.

But as you can see the contacts fit fine and in my opinion should work better as there is more surface contact with the plunger (picture only shows one new contact on right as a comparison, both new contacts look like the one on the right).
P7136551.jpg

Im not sure if my problem was entirely the starter as the contacts didnt look too bad
P7136556.jpg

Anyway while I had it apart I stripped and checked the motor too. Checked and cleaned the commutator, brushes were fine, cleaned and re-greased the bearings. All working perfectly now and was a surprisingly easy job. Ive still got starting issues (see my other thread) though but at least I know it not starter motor related now.

Back