Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New SS Zorst

clivehorridge

Supporter
Guru
Garage
Country Flag
romania
Well, after my "new" Mr T steel Zorst rusted and fell to bits after 7 years on the truck and considering it cost me a staggering £1,000 or so way back then (I know, I know...) I decided to go for a SS replacement.

My beloved 80 is now at the Dr man and I'm nervously pacing up and down waiting for the phone to ring.

The team making and fitting it is headed by an English guy called Chris. I won't hold that against him despite him coming from Cornwall (are they really English from down there?).

Anyway, he did some chalking on a whiteboard and convinced me that a 3" pipe wasn't suitable for my aging normally aspirated HZJ. He recommended the standard pipe size (which I've forgotten already) and his sketches showed that this diameter was better suited to the slower revving diesel engines after I admitted that I rarely take the tachometer over 3,000 RPM even through the gear changes. It's probably a sign that I'm getting older (60th birthday this week :violin:) but its true.

He seemed to know what he was talking about (convinced gullible old me anyway) so she's in for a full length system as an almost replica of the Mr T version. It will have 2 boxes, a smallish fire box at the beginning of the horizontal (just after the flexi under the manifold) and a biggish silencer box roughly in the same place as the old unit under the rear passenger floor. There'll be no tail box but the tail pipe will extend over the rear axle and between the chassis and the rear floor. And I told him I don't want it noisy. I also asked him for the thickest steel he could find, he said that would be 2mm.

We'll see what I get later in the week, and how much it cost. He guessed at €900 so time will tell.

If anyone's interested, I'll keep them posted with an update. I know the HZJ isn't popular in the UK with all you turbo boys, but variety is the spice of life someone said, probably another old fart like me!

It's taxis to work till then cos its too hot to ride the bike (36 degrees again today).

the Cornish have their own language, .... that's if you can understand it ... although it is very rarely spoken now ..
Very true,has sort of 'evolved' though?
Will be interested how you exhaust ends up Clive,Ive chopped mine about to get a bit more noise which ha probably done its life expectancy no favours whatsoever!
Geddon my bewty's!:icon-biggrin:

Very true,has sort of 'evolved' though?
Will be interested how you exhaust ends up Clive,Ive chopped mine about to get a bit more noise which ha probably done its life expectancy no favours whatsoever!
Geddon my bewty's!:icon-biggrin:

I've been putting this off for so long now, I'm sick of "noise"!

There's noise and there's noise, a nice crisp growl on acceleration is very pleasant as long as you don't get a continuous drone at cruising speeds. Mine sounded like a big vacuum cleaner with asthma, not nice at all!

It had split where it rusted through just below the flexi and the tail pipe had departed completely at the exit from the big silencer box. It was all tied up with wire to stop it clanging about!

The first thing the SS guys did was to "repair" the old system, meaning simply welding it back into one piece with the correct alignment. He said quite logically, this is to use as a pattern for the new one. They dropped it off in one piece afterwards to build in the workshop.

Give them credit, the workshop looked like a hospital surgery, spotless and with copious amounts of high tech hydraulic tube-bending gear, cutters, millers, turners and all sorts of yummy equipment. They had gas-flow meters installed everywhere and two dynos.

Maybe this is standard practice, I don't know, but I was impressed. Sometimes this country looks 3rd world, but occasionally I'm well impressed with the standard of some of the private company's here.

Their specialty seems to be high performance cars. Mine wouldn't go on the lift, so they fabricated new adapters for the lifting swing arms so they'd reach the chassis for a safe lift. No expense spared there, he said they'll come in handy for the next 80 they have to do.

Still waiting for the call...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sounds like you've gone to the right place Clive!

I hope so, like many places you don't know, they might be rip-off merchants but I don't think so. Mate of mine had a system fitted to his VR6 Golf which sounds soooo sweet now!

I couldn't wait for the phone call so I called in on the way home tonight (it's not on the way home, it's 5 km in the opposite direction!). Anyway, it's all built up bar a few brackets still to be laser cut. The silencer box was on the jig table and there were several guys working on different parts of the system.

I understand that it's 62 mm internal diameter and 2 mm thickness. They've mimicked all the mountings so all the original Toyota rubber dongs and mounting brackets fit. There's a "lifetime" guarantee with it (whatever that means).

Is it guaranteed till I die? Or the system dies (?) Or the car dies (??) Or is it like life imprisonment where the guarantee is valid for 10 years, then they get off Scott free?

Well see about that, I have a few target questions brewing.

Anyway, it will be finished, fitted and paid for by this time tomorrow, all going as planned. :icon-biggrin:

Last edited:
Usually a 'lifetime guarantee' stipulates that the vehicle has to be brought back every year or so for a 'service' whatever that entails?? I assume if they use mild steel clamps/hardware that these are checked/changed and any repairs(cracking whatever) are carried out before the system falls off and destroys itself???

Don't quote me on that though! I suppose the main worry is that a decent grade stainless is used in the first place.

2mm is very thick but it will have the effect of reducing the "tinny" sound that SS can produce.

Roger

I'm a bit disappointed because the car wasn't ready this afternoon as promised. They've guaranteed it for tomorrow so at least I'll have it for my weekend trip home (out of town and to the hills!) which keeps me sane!

I think they've taken on too much recently, so something had to give. Why me?

All the brackets are SS and welded to the system. Anything body/chassis side of rubber is as standard. The front mount just above the flexi is now in SS, I saw them cut it!

I should have some better info tomorrow and post it over the w/e.

Last edited:
will be very interested to see pics clive .... i need to sort out my zorst seeing as some of it is missing and the rest is tied to the chassis with wire ....

Hi Clive

Having just come back from a tour of France and Spain in my 80 it has confirmed to me that it is us in the UK who live in a 3rd world country from nearly every way you look at it.

We navigated our way to one hotel using a road map only to be confronted by a no entry sign at the last minute attended by 2 policemen. No problem, they guided us through and then the wrong way round a roundabout into the car park. Then in another town Anne left the hotel to find the supermarket but got lost. So she asked a policeman who insisted on walking her all the way to the supermarket and gave clear instructions on how to get back.

Glad you got thick stainless. SS can ring a bit.

I found most of my noise came from the inlet side of things as when I lifted off the throttle a lot stopped. Mine is a 24 valve and the later air filter boxes have a resonator fitted on their lids to cut the noise down a bit.

Frank

Last edited:
Picked the car up Friday evening. The zorst is lovely! :dance::dance::dance:

Tour guide, from back to front:

Tailpipe...
IMG_0635.jpg

Passing under chassis cross-rail...
IMG_0636.jpg

Not too close but not waving in the air...
IMG_0637.jpg

Close up...
IMG_0637.jpg

Passing over the chassis cross-rail... I noted that he put a flat on the underside of the pipe like Mr T did. Don't think it's necessary and during fabrication that section rotated, defeating the object somewhat! No worries...
IMG_0638.jpg

Connection flange for tailpipe section, sweeping down to the back-box...
IMG_0643.jpg

Back-box nicely tucked inside the chassis and up, out of harm's way...
IMG_0644.jpg

Front of back-box...
IMG_0646.jpg

Looking forward up and over main chassis rail...
IMG_0647.jpg

Flange connection behind the front fire-box...
IMG_0648.jpg

Back of the front fire-box...
IMG_0649.jpg

Further forward, sweeping up to the flexi section...
IMG_0650.jpg

Further up and crossing over the main chassis towards the manifold. SS clamp to the support bracket at the rear of the engine...
IMG_0653.jpg

Finally to the manifold clamp...
IMG_0654.jpg

It's nicely "blued" from the 110 km trip to the house last night and I'm very pleased with it.

63.5 mm internal diameter tubing, 2mm wall on the straights; 1.5mm wall on the bends (his bending tool won't work successfully on 2mm!).

All mountings as Mr T intended (OEM) and job done. The car sounds quiet but with a little growl on acceleration, lovely. It runs better now as well! :dance::dance::dance:

4,700 Lei = 1,080 Euro = 925 GBP give or take.

When I bought the stock mild steel system 7 years ago, it cost me 825 GBP. Should have gone SS then, but "Top Gear" who made it weren't here then.

nicely done .... this has made me want to get mine done like this now ... :dance:

Looks great Clive! I've thought of getting a stainless zorst for my troopy. Was your last purchase of a "standard" exhaust for a local vehicle or for an import. Wander of there is a big price difference in the exhausts between local and imports...

nicely done .... this has made me want to get mine done like this now ... :dance:

Thanks. :icon-biggrin: The guy confirmed that less (or no) boxes are really needed with a turbo. The turbo itself acts as a silencer. I'm pleased with the quietness as it's my DD but it still has that nice growl when you want it, especially at 1,000 and just approaching 2,000 rpm. I rarely take it above 3,000 even on a run. I don't do big distances here and I'm rarely in a hurry!

Looks great Clive! I've thought of getting a stainless zorst for my troopy. Was your last purchase of a "standard" exhaust for a local vehicle or for an import. Wander of there is a big price difference in the exhausts between local and imports...

I can't answer that I'm afraid. The car is "local" European spec (whatever that means) obviously LHD but very basic and it's an HZJ not the usual turbo 4.2. All parts from Mr T are expensive here (as I suppose they are in the UK) and there's little alternative for me. Brake pads, shoes, batteries and filters are easy to get but anything else is special order and pricey for me.

I'd recommend a made to measure SS system to anyone as long as they can find a trusted fabricator. I thought of going for a shortened side exhaust, but I'm pleased that I went for the full length, now that its done.

Hi Clive

Having just come back from a tour of France and Spain in my 80 it has confirmed to me that it is us in the UK who live in a 3rd world country from nearly every way you look at it.

We navigated our way to one hotel using a road map only to be confronted by a no entry sign at the last minute attended by 2 policemen. No problem, they guided us through and then the wrong way round a roundabout into the car park. Then in another town Anne left the hotel to find the supermarket but got lost. So she asked a policeman who insisted on walking her all the way to the supermarket and gave clear instructions on how to get back.

Glad you got thick stainless. SS can ring a bit.

I found most of my noise came from the inlet side of things as when I lifted off the throttle a lot stopped. Mine is a 24 valve and the later air filter boxes have a resonator fitted on their lids to cut the noise down a bit.

Frank

Hi Frank,

Glad the police were good to you in France/Spain, they're useless here and to be avoided. Things are getting better than they used to be so let's hope that one day people will be able to "ask a policeman" which was always good advice in the UK (hope it still is) and something to be proud of.

As for the exhaust, it sounds great and very little evidence of the ringing that you mentioned. In truth, the clarity of the sound makes it sound better. Instead of a muffled splutter there's a much crisper clean sound, but no louder than the original. :dance::dance:

Last edited:
Back