Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

single din fascia

jonnyboy54321

Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Anyone got a single din converter lying around? Or a source please?
I have a dbl din decent mini-disc/cd etc in my 95 but have a virtually new JVC DAB with Bluetooth module to go in.

Thanks but I was after an adaptor that changes the standard double din opening to single din.

Sorry, I'm not quite getting what you're after then? The original setup just had a blanking plate underneath the single DIN unit - that's how my 95 was when I bought it. The rest of the dash panel doesn't change.

If it's a flat panel you're after, then they're here

Last edited:
I've got one. I know what you mean. The one I have is a single holder with a handy cubby hole underneath it to put things in. Not just a blanking plate.

Isn't that the same as bolting the single DIN into the mounting frame with it's own surround, and a DIN pocket alongside it? (that being my first suggestion above). I'm now very confused as to what the difference is.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ahh well not quite. Problem is that a DIN is a DIN. A double DIN is not DIN x 2. It's a DIN and 7/8ths. Really annoying. So if you put in a DIN the hole what's left is not big enough for a DIN pocket. The thing I have is double DIN with the pocket built in.

Confused? You soon will be

I've got one. I know what you mean. The one I have is a single holder with a handy cubby hole underneath it to put things in. Not just a blanking plate.

Exactly what I am after. Pics?
Is that standard fit then? I wonder if my cruiser has been modded to double din then?
Anyone?

I bought it to go in a 120 series when I fitted my pop out sat nav screen thing. It's hanging around somewhere in the spare room I think. I see it virtually every damn day and now I can't find it. It's got codes and a manufacturer's name on it.

Ahh well not quite. Problem is that a DIN is a DIN. A double DIN is not DIN x 2. It's a DIN and 7/8ths. Really annoying. So if you put in a DIN the hole what's left is not big enough for a DIN pocket. The thing I have is double DIN with the pocket built in.

Confused? You soon will be

I'm don't think I'm confused now. All the DIN pockets I've used have sat quite happily alongside a single DIN headunit - I've installed hundreds of the buggers over the last 15 years. Equally, if a double DIN was only 1&7/8th, then it wouldn't be possible to fit 2 units one above the other.

However, where the problems do come in is with the outer fascia - if you have 2 single DIN units with their own fascia plates they clash, because the fascia sits on the outside of the measurement. Therefore in this case, you'd want to fit a recessed pocket with no external fascia and then run a double DIN fascia around the outside of both, or as you have a fascia with a built in pocket - but these are quite rare by comparison. I'm presuming it looks a little like this (but without the outer edges)

AFC6027_L.jpg

Last edited:
Yea looks a bit like that. But as I say, double DIN isn't double DIN. In other words, a double DIN stereo is smaller than two single DINS stacked together. Where you lose the space is mostly due to the fact that you now have outer case to outer case contact whereas the all in one double has no join. Pretty much as you say that there there is the fascia too. Without which the two units look crap. It may be that the DIN pockets that you fitted were in fact only 7/8 so they fitted fine.

Yea looks a bit like that. But as I say, double DIN isn't double DIN. In other words, a double DIN stereo is smaller than two single DINS stacked together.

Are you sure about that Chris?

20130928_083606.jpg

On the left is a Kenwood Double DIN. On the right is 2 single DIN units stacked together. They're the same size (to within a mm).

To within a millimetre isn't quite the same as 'exactly the same though is it. When you come to mount them in the carcass, the holes done alway allow you line them up like that. I have done several and each time it's been a bit of a bodge here and there. Oh you can do it don't get me wrong, I have. But I maintain that double din is not two single dins. Not if you expect the same fit as a double din. smooth slot straight in no fuss no trimming.

I know nothing or less about this subject.

But, I thought the whole idea of "DIN" was standardization. On that basis DIN and Double DIN should be exactly what it says on the tin.

I'm not doubting that it may not be, just WTF is the acronym DIN doing in the conversation, if DIN + DIN = 1 7/8 DIN or 2 DIN + 1mm? :think::?:shock:

In this case it's the double DIN that's bigger, but in my experience both options are just as troublesome as each other, depending on each manufacturer's interpretation and measurement of the "standard". Maybe a decade of weekly practice helps?

What does make things a lot more difficult is that DIN has no standard for the depth of the unit...that gets *really* annoying at times.

So can anyone tell me what is standard fit from the factory then?

Attachments

• 20130929_175746.jpg
    20130929_175746.jpg
    504.3 KB · Views: 292
Last edited:
That's correct. Spring clips around the edge, you remove the ashtray and then gently tease the whole fascia panel back towards you. The AC switches stay where they are.

The one in my Colorado is off at the moment, I would take a pic to demonstrate but it's pitch black right now.

I found the Toyota branded blanking plate that was in mine with the single DIN unit, if it's any use to you.

Last edited:
Back