Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1kzte tuning/tuning chip?

intercooledkzj95

Country Flag
canada
Hey there!
Looking for some opinions on tuning the 1kz engine.
I read this article: Welcome to Land Cruiser Owners On Line - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club] which was quite informative, but it does not suggest which chip meets their criteria of a good chip.

Does someone here have any advice? Or further reading?

As discussed in the above article, I am mostly interested in something that will not only give a bit more go in lower RPM's, but is also beneficial in terms of overall engine durability and fuel economy; via fuel mapping and independent injection timing.

Much appreciation for any help!

Have a look on the Ozbush web site.
I know someone with a unit on their 1kd engine, who has good results with all those requirements of yours. You are able to manually alter settings on the unit, and easy to install.
Don't know if they do one for the 1kz though.

Tractionman, that is exactly the type of device the article on lcool warns against using.
I do appreciate the reply!

Ok mate. Any reason why they advise against it ?
The one I know of on a 1kd engine has been in use for some years with no problems.
I think with all of these mappers you have to be sensible with settings or expect trouble.

By no means am I the expert, I just read an article haha. That said, It is advised against because it is essentially just adding more (or less) fuel at the touch of a dial without consideration for RPM differences, throttle position, or injection timing. From what I saw on the ozbush website, it is essentially like having the injection pump set screw easily accessible on your dash, which adds more or less fuel across the board. A more complex chip, as I understand it, takes into account the aforementioned to produce power and torque in the low RPM range, along with safety features in line with the ECU to prevent the vehicle from overdoing it.

Im still not convinced a chip is a good idea in any regard when taking engine longevity into consideration, I am simply poking about to see what is out there.

Thanks for reply. Who did the advising - a competitor ? Lol.
I'm sure that all those points and more were taken into consideration by an ex member, a real expert/guru on 120's.
He is very much respected by those who know him, for his vast knowledge/workings/sensible mods, and well being of the 1kdv engines. I'll check it out next time I speak with him.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for reply. Who did the advising - a competitor ? Lol.
I'm sure that all those points and more were taken into consideration by an ex member, a real expert/guru on 120's.
He is very much respected by those who know him, for his vast knowledge/workings/sensible mods, and well being of the 1kdv engines. I'll check it out next time I speak with him.
Interestingly, on the lcool website there was no advertising, there was no mention of any chip brands whatsoever. It just laid out information based on technical information and testing. It suggested doing ones own research into which chips suit the provided information. Which is why I am now asking questions in forums.

I am actually running the 1kz-te, but I would appreciate the knowledge of a "guru" anyhow.

Cheers mate.

If its good enough for the guru's 120 its good enough for mine. I second the fact that his knowledge on these engines is second to none

Whilst I appreciate your engine is the 1kz-te, what I tried to get across and perhaps explained badly, is that everything Tony does is well thought out and trialled. Nothing is/are whims or boy racer bolt ons, and everything taken into account, so the Ozbush mapper he has used for several/many years, will have been done with every consideration as necessary with points raised by yourself along with other simple engine mods.
Reliability and economy at the forefront, no point it introducing something that will give loads of power, guzzle diesel and blow the engine.

I have had a D.P Chip on my 1kz-te 2002 Prado for 150,000 klm also throw that super resrtrictive stock exhaust in the bin the turbo dump pipe is absolutely rubbish turbo rear outlet approx 3”
But stock cast iron dump is about 1&1-4 “
Also have pedal controller and stage 2 turbo and water to air intercooler along with 3 bar map sensor and 15 psi
Now absolutely magic even the chip and exhaust with stock turbo allowed us to tow our caravan
2.3 t in 2nd and 3rd gear up most hills compared to 1st and 2nd
Fit a boost controller and run no more than 14psi on the stock turbo is no probs i ran 13psi for years i just wanted more so i did when i replaced the turbo
Look up Berrimah Diesel Australia they have everything you require

L
Hey there!
Looking for some opinions on tuning the 1kz engine.
I read this article: Welcome to Land Cruiser Owners On Line - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club] which was quite informative, but it does not suggest which chip meets their criteria of a good chip.

Does someone here have any advice? Or further reading?

As discussed in the above article, I am mostly interested in something that will not only give a bit more go in lower RPM's, but is also beneficial in terms of overall engine durability and fuel economy; via fuel mapping and independent injection timing.

Much appreciation for any help!
Look up Berrimah Diesel Dp chip Autralia
I have been using there chip for years
Awesome product i slso bought a pedal controller and added a 3” exhaust at the same time

Back