Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

200 D4D DIESEL OR PETROL

abad12345

Country Flag
uk
Hi guys im looking for a bit of advice, im looking to buy a LC200 year 2008 up to 2012 and i have seen a few, i am in the UK but buying in Pakistan, i have looked at a few and i cant make my mind up between a petrol 4.6 V8 or a 4.6 D4D V8 diesel, Pakistan can be funny market, you dont really know what your getting as they change engines ect all the time and engine numbers so its hard to check, did a 2008 Lc200 come in Diesel and if so is it a 4,5 or a 4.6? Also if so which is the better reliable engine the diesel or petrol. im not fussed on fuel econemy just how realibile both are and what would be the best to go for.

Thanks

Hi guys im looking for a bit of advice, im looking to buy a LC200 year 2008 up to 2012 and i have seen a few, i am in the UK but buying in Pakistan, i have looked at a few and i cant make my mind up between a petrol 4.6 V8 or a 4.6 D4D V8 diesel, Pakistan can be funny market, you dont really know what your getting as they change engines ect all the time and engine numbers so its hard to check, did a 2008 Lc200 come in Diesel and if so is it a 4,5 or a 4.6? Also if so which is the better reliable engine the diesel or petrol. im not fussed on fuel econemy just how realibile both are and what would be the best to go for.

Thanks
Hi, before you make a decision, have you driven either? You may have a preference on driving it, I wouldn't buy the diesel based on economy, I don't think there is a lot of difference.

To answer the other questions. The diesel is 4.5, V8 twin turbo (in the 200) and was available from 2008. Both are reliable engines but the diesel requires a bit more maintenance. The most reliable engine is the petrol 5.7 V8, but not sure if that is available in Pakistan?

Hi Brett, cant get the 5.7 V8 in pakistan as all the LCs are Japan imports, not had a chance to test drive any as of yet, i was mostly looking to see which engine is the most bullet proof, D4D or petrol.

Ok, so both engines are well proven and very reliable, so not really much to choose between them. For info, from 2008-2012 the petrol engine was the 4.7 V8 from the 100 series. 2012 they changed to the 4.6. Both engines are very reliable, but the newer 4.6 is a bit better on fuel.

Both Petrol's are extremely cheap to maintain, basically oil & filters.

For the Diesel again, they are also very reliable but will cost you more to maintain, you have an additional filter, (fuel) to replace when servicing, they are known to need injectors replacing, especially if they have had bad fuel, and at some point you are going to have to strip the inlet and EGR system down to clean all the soot out. Avoid a DPF model. They are a pain if you do short runs and also lower power. A nice advantage of the diesel, you can easily map it to output 750-800Nm with a fuel map and 3" exhaust.

Reactions: Raj
As far as I know 4.6 and 5.7 petrol doesn't have turbos. One less thing to worry about.

I have just moved from driving diesels for 30 years to petrol, less servicing, less oil per change, almost 3lt. Heaps of NA power without the issues of turbo, catch cans or fuel pump. I have the 4.7 and am loving it.

Reactions: Raj
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
and am loving it.
I moved to Diesel for the first time and it took a lot of time to convince myself that this is ok. Wish we too had UK version of petrol 20s like rest of the world.

Back